Normal FM vs Hypoallergenic Milk

sharonyi66

Hi mummies,

any1 swtich from normal FM to hypoallegy type? Pls advise wat's the different and which brand of HA milk is good as my baby is having colic so PD suggest i can try HA milk but i forgot to ask wat's e purpose of changing...

tks!!

diymummy

Hi sharon,

My boy switched from Similac to Nestle NAN HA. The reason why he switched is because he has an allergy to the high lactose content in normal FM which would lead to an allergic rash also known as eczema.

There are many reasons for colic. Sometimes when there's too much gas build up in the tummy, and they can't pass it out, they would keep crying. Usually the breaking down of lactose requires extra work by the body so that might be producing slightly more gas. An allergic reaction would also cause tummy aches which would also lead to a bout of crying.

HA milk is still cow's milk. It's not soy milk and it's not goat's milk.

sharonyi66

Hi sharon,

My boy switched from Similac to Nestle NAN HA. The reason why he switched is because he has an allergy to the high lactose content in normal FM which would lead to an allergic rash also known as eczema.

There are many reasons for colic. Sometimes when there's too much gas build up in the tummy, and they can't pass it out, they would keep crying. Usually the breaking down of lactose requires extra work by the body so that might be producing slightly more gas. An allergic reaction would also cause tummy aches which would also lead to a bout of crying.

HA milk is still cow's milk. It's not soy milk and it's not goat's milk.
my baby has rashes on her face and sometimes on her head too since she's 3 wks old. till now (6 wks old), rashes still come and go. She's a colicky and had to give colic drop every 3hrsly as per PD.

I even tried changing her milk btl to Bfree (with a valve inside the btl) but she hates that as she will take almost half hour to finish her milk.

thinking shld i change from Dumex Mamex Gold to HA milk instead...

diymummy

Hi sharon, does the PD know abt your girl's rashes? It could be eczema or milk rash or heat rash.

My boy also had rashes since 3 weeks old and after ruling out milk rash and heat rash, we realised that he could be allergic to the FM. So we switched to HA formula. Right now there're 2 brands that make HA formula. One is Nestle NAN and the other is Enfapro or something like that.

My PD also gave us steriod cream for the rashes and a moisturizer to keep his skin moisturised. Dry skin would worsen eczema and steroid craems are drying in nature.

I am using Avent bottles. I tried NUK and BFree as well but my baby still prefers Avent.

I was breastfeeding at the same time and supplementing with FM so my diet also played a part. When I ate peanuts, and my boy drank my milk, he would also get rashes. So if you're breastfeeding at the same time, what you eat will also play a part. When I ate broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage, he would also become more gassy and so more colicky.

My boy was also on colic drops prescirbed by PD.

sharonyi66

Hi sharon, does the pediatrician know about your girl's rashes? It could be eczema or milk rash or heat rash.

My boy also had rashes since 3 weeks old and after ruling out milk rash and heat rash, we realised that he could be allergic to the FM. So we switched to HA formula. Right now there're 2 brands that make HA formula. One is Nestle NAN and the other is Enfapro or something like that.

My pediatrician also gave us steriod cream for the rashes and a moisturizer to keep his skin moisturised. Dry skin would worsen eczema and steroid craems are drying in nature.

I am using Avent bottles. I tried NUK and BFree as well but my baby still prefers Avent.

I was breastfeeding at the same time and supplementing with FM so my diet also played a part. When I ate peanuts, and my boy drank my milk, he would also get rashes. So if you're breastfeeding at the same time, what you eat will also play a part. When I ate broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage, he would also become more gassy and so more colicky.

My boy was also on colic drops prescirbed by pediatrician.
My PD never say is milk rash or heat rash, she just said baby skin is sensitive... So whenever her rashes come back, I gotto apply the cream which PD gave and i will also apply moisturizer when her rashes has subside.

I'm also breastfeeding but only give FM when at nights or outside.

Is your son doing well with HA milk? I also heard that HA milk can cause consitpation... *headache*

diymummy

Yes my son is doing well with HA milk. But HA milk is a little bit more bitter than the normal milk. I've tried it and my PD also did tell me that HA milk is slightly more bitter.

So far my son has no constipation. He poos up to 4 times a day. He's 10 mths now and on 2 solid meals. He's still drinking Nestle NAN HA but stage 2.

diymummy

Hmmm.. You can trying signing up with Nestle and see if they handout free samples. Or if your PD is nearby you could ask him if he could pass you a sample for free. I got a sample from my PD that time.

sharonyi66

My PD here give similac, think is abbort family brands of milk only.. Nvm, i shall take a look at their webby... Tks so much for the info!

cocraze

Yes my son is doing well with HA milk. But HA milk is a little bit more bitter than the normal milk. I've tried it and my pediatrician also did tell me that HA milk is slightly more bitter.

So far my son has no constipation. He poos up to 4 times a day. He's 10 mths now and on 2 solid meals. He's still drinking Nestle NAN HA but stage 2.
Hi,
riding on an old thread. Need to ask if anyone has tried changing from NAN HA 1 to NAN Pro 2, instead of NAN HA 2? Any experience to share?

My girl was recommended by paed to try HA milk as she was colicky then, at about 3 months old. We've put her on NAN HA1 since and I think she has kinda outgrown colic stage (used to cry almost daily cos of gas accumulated in her stomach, but nowadays she doesn't cry as much). She is now coming to 6 months, so Im wondering whether there is a need to change to NAN HA 2, or can use NAN Pro 2 instead.

Ive gotta check with pediatrician too, to see her advice, but I thought ask around mummies in the forum first, see whether got any other practical advice/sharing from experience. Any major difference in taste? How does your baby react to the change? Ive heard that the NAN Pro milk is no longer produced in Switzerland/Netherlands but only the HA milk is...(saw the thread on "Made in Indonesia NAN Pro 1") Anyone had problems with it?

sharonyi66

Hi cocraze,

After Inez is about 4mths old, i realised she's no longer colicky so i checked with her pd and was given green light to change from HA milk to normal FM but I did not go for Nan Pro, I changed to Friso 1.

I find Inez is able to accept the taste between NA milk and Friso even though Friso is sweeter and she's accepting well too but now I no longer give her Friso...
I'm giving her Enfalac due to the recent changes Friso is having..eg: price increased and also no longer produced in Netherlands hence I dun feel comfortable after all these changes.. After all, Inez is also accepting well on Enfalac..

kinberuri

Hi all mummies.

My girl is currently on Nan HA1. Am glad to see mummies with babies here in the forum taking this too.

My girl was given Nan Pro 1 in KKH when she is a NB but wasnt told that she had feeding problem. (frequent spit milk) But when she is home, she was given HA cos i bought wrongly! Didnt realise that the staff there shelf it wrongly. -_-" She took HA for like about 1 month plus when i decided to change to PRO after the doc gave me the permission to try out and observe. But instead she had constipation and her "merlion" 3 times out of 5 feeds, think there is too much bubbles! At times u dont know if she is drinking milk or gas. I am so stress and decided to stay on to HA till now since my GP advise that its more easily digested and there is no bubbles when i feed her. Now that she is coming to 4 months. I start to stress about changing her formula. Should i change it to Enfra? or Similac? Any advise?

Would appreciate if mommies can share their opinion abt their formula used.

Thanks mommies.

Marcie Mom

The suggestion to switch if colic is possibly due to suspected intolerance or sensitivity to cow's milk protein - so suggested switching. My baby had eczema at 2 weeks old, and also suggested to switch to HA at one month old. As an infant only source of food is the milk, pediatricians would often suggest switching out from cow's milk to a hydrolyzed formula or alternative to cow's milk. However, this recommendation is based on cow's milk being a common food allergen in infant rather than a diagnosis specific to the baby.

Another method that I thought worked for me is using a milk bottle with an insert tube - kiddy palace sells I think 2 brands - Dr Brown and another one. It seemed to help with my baby's colic (but then one mom's experience is hardly clinically proven)
more of my milk switching experience..
Is partially hydrolysed milk worth the money? | Eczema Blues

Take care,
Mei of EczemaBlues