Number of times of letdown

Applediver

Hi mummies,
Wanted to know hw many times of letdown u get for each pumping sessions.

I usually have 2: the 1st time is quite fast n the 2nd time is super slow( 20-30 mins) which thus my each pump sessions takes forever.
Hw do you achieve a faster letdown and multiple letdowns! Cos I hv read some women have 4-5 times which means more milk being pumped out?

I need to pump more effectively since will hv to go back to work and my son (1mth old) is getting impatient with latching and slow letdown. Is like being served the starters and main course takes an eternity to be ready! Hahhaa:001_302:

Thanks for sharing!

are u using medela? medela has a let down function to stimulate let down.

u can also choose to stop for awhile and continue pumping for the let down to come. gor my case, if my session is stretch too long, i will not have let down and my breast might feel unconfortable. so stop for a few mins and start again.

Applediver

I borrowed a pump with this letdown function... Helps a little...
Was pumping every 2 hrs... Very tiring and not much results.

I borrowed a pump with this letdown function... Helps a little...
Was pumping every 2 hours... Very tiring and not much results.
consider trying to pump diligently with a 3 hour schedule might be better. It takes a while to see the changes. Although body is smart for Demand and Supply rule, it also need time to adapt to the change. It can takes one week or more to see increase. Try not to skip night pump, 3 hourly on a 24 hour clock, you might see a change :)

Applediver

Thanks ilovebbdylan.
I set alarm to wake up and pump for the past week cos I really really want to total bf for my son.
My boobs are falling off from the pumping sessions!
DS is 5 weeks old and drinking 90 ml every 2 hrs so it really feels I am losing the battle...

Too stress, tired , can make things wrong. You can go/call your gynae to enquire , tell him/her this issue, they can give you one medicine "Domperidone" to help increase the milkflow. It is very helpful and safe for both mummy and baby, once supply went up and stablise, you can stop the medication.

It may take longer to see results if u are doing exclusive pumping. Be patient and try to pump as often as u can. Your bb is still young so u can increase. I have friends who did intensive pumping and thdy saw results after 1 month.

patsie

Just to share my experience

I wanted 2 bf DD fully which led 2 lots of stress n unhappiness due 2 shortage of milk

I was lucky DD's PD was v encouraging n told me it's okie 2 give formula milk once a day so I won't b so stressed out n tired

I was v hesitant since most wld say supply n demand.... But in d end I decided being able 2 c my DD grows n experience n enjoy her every growth is more impt So I told myself 2 relax... N we gave DD formula once a day

Now DD is 8 mths old n I m happy 2 say dat she is on total EBM We actually bought an extra freezer 2 store my EBM

As 4 d nos of let down per pump... I have 2 n usually when I close my eyes n think of DD... Soon after I can feel d let down le....

Applediver

It may take longer to see results if u are doing exclusive pumping. Be patient and try to pump as often as u can. Your bb is still young so u can increase. I have friends who did intensive pumping and thdy saw results after 1 month.
I think the results of my intensive pumping really showing after 1mth. Yay!

Applediver:832990 said:
I think the results of my intensive pumping really showing after 1mth. Yay!

Yay! Good news!