Nurses ehow often does your baby latch on?

Littlekk

How often does your baby latch on?

Hi mommies, would like to know how often your baby latches on when exclusive bf..

my 6w old latches one very hour, mostly just 5 mins no matter how I stimulate him.. Other times, he can latch for 30 mins and still want more after 5 mins of rest..

as I'm taking care of him mostly by myself, it is really tiring and the lack of sleep is draining me..

Should I supplement w fm or will the bf sessions be more spaced out soon?

Last edited:
hi mummy,

it might or might not space out soon because every baby acts differently.

but i advise u not to give FM because since u have bm just continue. the only advice i suggest will be converting yrself fr latch to exclusive pumping and feed thrg bottle if u are really tired and dont mind giving bm thrg bottlefeeding:)

Littlekk

Thanks for the reply... I did try out pumping but as my hubby is overseas most of the time and I'm alone, it's hard to find time to pump as I usually take at leat 45 mins each session :(

are u using good electric dual pump? hmm good pump session should be ard 15 mins to 20 mins. if it is 45 mins, then i prefer latching:) save hassle of washing.

Littlekk

Medela Pisa! Yeah too slow ;( very little milk pumps out so I squeeze and squeeze haha.. Really very tiring because he latches on so often! So now just before his sleep at night i will give him a bottle of fm because he cluster feeds before sleeping, and I simply cannot satisfy him no matter how long I latch ;(

Littlekk

Hi Alissa, how long does he nurse for? My son nurses for a few mins only, bit worried that he's not drinking nough or perhaps just getting fore milk...

littlekk,
is his weight gain gradually increasing, poo frequently?

as for pumping of milk, read more on "let down" which is the important part for milk flowing. most probably, no good let down, thats why session take long and little milk. i encounter before:) hope it helps.

Alisa

when he was less than 2 mths, he drinks around 15 mins then slowly increase to around 30 mins. TMC nurses told me to switch side every 15 mins to balance my breast but i realised that whenever i switch side, he don wan to drink le so this preg i told myself that i will let my baby latch till she don wan then change side on the next feed.

diza

Or alternatively you can latch on one side, express on the other.. But I usually do this when I'm not lazy. :p

Littlekk

Hes been having about 4-5 Bowel movements per day recently! Does this mean he is getting enough breastmilk? Also sinc I've switched him to full breastfeeding from supplementing w fm due to prolonged jaundice, his weight dropped a little.. Is this normal? :(

Last edited:
4 to 5 bowel movement seems to indicate that he has enough but weight drop is not normal. Do you weigh your baby naked? Sometimes wet diaper can add a few 100g to his weight. A fully bf baby should gain weight around 150g per week. Also if he is having enough he should sleep well and not fretful. Should have 5 to 6 wet diaper a day.

littlekk, how many days it took fr stopping fm to fully bm? if the weight drop is minimal, and the current baby weight is acceptable, u can wait and observe the situation further.

how heavy is he now?