Nursing Baby to Sleep

biBee

Hi Mummies,

I want to find out your view on nursing your babies to sleep. Is it a cause for concern? How do you train your babies not to nurse to sleep?

ast0212

I never trained my baby not to nurse to sleep, in fact I encouraged it because it was the best and easiest way he could fall asleep and sleep well! My baby only stopped nursing to sleep when he was 18 months old because my milk dried up due to pregnancy.

Nursing to sleep is natural for babies as breastfeeding releases a hormone in both mum and bub that induces sleep for both... so why not nurse to sleep if that's how nature intended? :p

I threw out all books and advice that told me that nursing babies to sleep is not good and develops into a bad habit...at the end of the day it's whatever works best for you :001_302:

Button

This is something I've been wondering about as well! My girl is now 17 months and still nurses to sleep. She wakes up in the night few times to nurse also. I've been wondering if I should wean her from her night feeds but I can't bear to because it's so easy to bring out the boob and then we both can go back to sleep easily (we co-sleep). But I also don't know if it's a good idea for her to continue because she's already so big. What do other mummies do?

ast0212

This is something I've been wondering about as well! My girl is now 17 months and still nurses to sleep. She wakes up in the night few times to nurse also. I've been wondering if I should wean her from her night feeds but I can't bear to because it's so easy to bring out the boob and then we both can go back to sleep easily (we co-sleep). But I also don't know if it's a good idea for her to continue because she's already so big. What do other mummies do?
It's really up to you because you're the one doing the feeding :) If you enjoy it and don't mind continuing then keep on going! It doesn't last long and there's days I miss breastfeeding my son....they do grow up quickly and we don't get to breastfeed them forever.

werxbabe

Agree with Ast mummy! I do nurse my baby to sleep cuz I'm super lazy to wake up in the wee hours to make FM. Surprisingly, baby goes back to sleep again and can sleep for abt 6-8 hrs without FM..

joeybeadz

It's really up to you because you're the one doing the feeding :) If you enjoy it and don't mind continuing then keep on going! It doesn't last long and there's days I miss breastfeeding my son....they do grow up quickly and we don't get to breastfeed them forever.
Yes.. i missed breastfeeding too