nursing but supply dropping?

Hi mommies, I need some advice here.

I have been breastfeeding my baby since he is born, direct latching during the four full maternity leave month. After I return to work, my parents in law help take care of my baby and bottle feed him during daytime. He is now six months old and taking 120ml bm from the bottle. I will direct latch him after i get home.

However, recently according to my mil, he seems to want more so she has been feeding him 130ml. The problem now is I am only able to express out 100~110ml milk at work recently.

I read that nursing my baby will auto regulate my milk supply but it doesn't seem like it for my case. I have been taking fenugreek twice a day and due to this drop in supply i have increased the dosage to thrice a day.

Can any mommies advise why is this happening? Does this mean my body can only produce so much milk? What can I do to bring back my supply? I intend to bf my baby until he is at least one year old. If supply keeps decreasing i guess no choice but to mix fm when it comes to that situation.

sicapie

You have to express/pump your milk out regularly to produce more milk, eg, once in every 3 hours. Just remember, the more the demand, the more the supply. You need to signal to your brain that the demand has increased, hence, try to express more frequently.

diza

Has ur son started eating solids? If no, you might need to introduce solids to him soon.. Secondly, try to match ur supply to his demand. If he needs about 300ml of EBM, then u need to express the same amt, even if it takes more than 3 sessions. Thirdly, while latching u may want to express the other side and cont expressing the breast u had nursed him once he's done. It's tedious but this is the only way to boost ur supply other than taking supplements. Previously, I was able to match my boy's demand without taking any supplements.. Once he turned 11 mths, i simply couldn't keep up and my milk bank was depleting. I just started taking fenugreek 2 weeks ago and I express regularly.. Thankfully I'm able to match his demand again.. Drinking lots of fluid like milo and Horlicks does help to boost supply.

Last edited:
Hi sicapie, thanks for your reply. In fact, i am still pumping at 3 hour interval currently. But the supply is still not increasing. :(

Hi diza, my son just started solids last week, once a day. He is still drinking milk 3 hourly. I want to match the demand but i dont have the luxury to take my sweet time during office hour. My pumping session used to take 20 mins for 120ml but now it takes 40 mins for lesser amount. I guess i can try expressing milk after i nurse him. I have only done that during the first two months. Now i get lazy. Especially during the night sometimes he can sleep longer hour. Do you still express your milk 3 hourly at night?
I will also try to drink milo as you suggested. Hope it helps!

diza

My last session is usually close to midnight.. In a day, I usually express abt 4 times, twice at work and twice at home.. After his meal, did u give him plain water or EBM?

diza

Ever since he started eating solids, this is his daily routine. But the timings plus minus 1 hr.

Woke up ard 8am: EBM
Noon: Lunch + plain water
An hour later, EBM then sleep
4pm: EBM
6.30pm: Dinner + plain water
7pm: Latch coz it's his nap time.

The rest of the time, I feed on demand.
So everyday, I will prepare Abt 300ml to 350ml of EBM.

Snowycat

Try to pump once in the early morning where supply is at its peak. After i breasfeeding my baby at 3am, i can still pump out 160ml-200ml Day time usually 80ml- 120ml. And i make it a point to drink 2 cups of water before and after pumping. i also take traditional mother's milk tea( fenugreek) ( available in thomson medical pharmacy and some other places i think or iherb.com) . More effective than the fenugreek capsules.

You can also pump after latch on weekends and at night to build up your reserves in case there's any short fall during weekdays