OMG, my maid just informed me tat she bought a handphone

MsKoh1973

Maid just told me, she bought the hp cos she missed her family, and she wanted to go back to indo, she want to use the hp to contact her family to pick her up at the airport. I asked her, if she want to go back, why don't straight tell me, and few months back still ask me can recontract or not. She just tiam tiam.

Asked her when she plan to go back since her contract end only next Mar, she said leave it to me to decide when I want to let her leave. Dun understand, why so good to all these maids, yet one by one dun appreciate, all want to go, my house got ghost issit.

No doubt got abt 2 of them ever complaint abt feeling it, but think just lame excuse for dun want to wk.

JP12

Today I caught my indo maid using hp. She was squatting in the kitchen using it and didnt hear me come out of my room. She is new! 1 mth old transfer maid who had 3 previous employers within 1 yr+ in Spore. When she first joined, we told her no hp at home, but allow her to use hers during her off day - which is once a month.

Yesterday we let her go out and she bought it! But she lied n said she got it from her aunty. Last mth told me her aunty went back to Indo. n now say this is another aunty. I checked her msgs! She msged another maid said she bought e hp for $100. Thinking where she got $! Coz her total cash she had wen she first came was about probably $50 and last mth I gave her $20 (my husband said give her $10 xtra!) as she is still on loan. I also recently lost my $104 in my bag! Initially I didnt think it is her - thinking maybe I dropped it but now I am v suspicious it's her who stole it!

WORSE, she has a bf!! I read all her msgs!! This is bad! To bluff and lie! Esp. when we treat her nice.

When she was out yesterday, I searched her bag and found my panty in her bag!! Stained red! I think she wore it! My husband and I questioned her n asked if she stole it. She denied! Scary to take such personal thing of mine!

Will fire her.

MsKoh1973

ya, u shd fire her, sent her back to agent asap in case she try funny things again, try to send her off in the afternoon so that u have time to chx her things, after checking her things, straightaway esacort her out of your house (in case she can hide the $ she stolen inside the toilet or cabinet if she forsee u going to chx her, since this is not her first transfer, then after u chx her, then she put the money in).

this kind of maid, agent sure will "recycle" her, dun noe who is the next unlucky ones. I sure agent paint beautiful pic to you why she was transferred, just like last time when I took the 2 transfer maids, my agent said it was the employer's fault, dun gv enough to eat, in the end, my transfer maid oso resigned. Recently I chx her WP in MOM web, after she got new employer, oso wk for about few months, then left Sg. In total, she wk for 3 employers and spent less than one yr in SG.

JP12

ya, u shd fire her, sent her back to agent asap in case she try funny things again, try to send her off in the afternoon so that u have time to chx her things, after checking her things, straightaway esacort her out of your house (in case she can hide the $ she stolen inside the toilet or cabinet if she forsee u going to chx her, since this is not her first transfer, then after u chx her, then she put the money in).

this kind of maid, agent sure will "recycle" her, dun noe who is the next unlucky ones. I sure agent paint beautiful pic to you why she was transferred, just like last time when I took the 2 transfer maids, my agent said it was the employer's fault, dun gv enough to eat, in the end, my transfer maid oso resigned. Recently I chx her WP in MOM web, after she got new employer, oso wk for about few months, then left Sg. In total, she wk for 3 employers and spent less than one yr in SG.
The thing is I think she already used the $ she stole from me to buy hp! otherwise how come got enough to buy hp! I called agen this morning but she on leave tdy and then trwm public hoiday. she said she can contact me earliest Wednesday. First employer, she said they wanted a more mature maid n found one. Said 2nd employer slapped her. 3rd employer got too many kids, she can't handle. Of coz agents will say nice things.

Maid also been writing alot of things on paper. in behasa, so I cant read. She takes our kindness for granted! She has a husband and a child n yet can contact some man..

It's only sensible to fire her right!? Only thing right now is my health is not too gd and I have no one to help look after my baby. The hsehold things can put on hold. Two days ago I noticed a bruise on my baby's thigh. I have no idea how he got it. But she was the one who told me also coz she saw me looking at it. I wonder if she's e one..

Last edited:

MsKoh1973

ya, should fire her, since ur health no good, is better to put household chores on hold, then to keep a thief at home, cause more worry. And since u hv bb at home, she may poses more danger.

My x-maid oso tell me, she used my hp to sms her dad, when I asked my colleague to read, is all, "I love u, ah bang, dun forget our promise to each other in front of the village headman" bah bah bah.

My latest maid who resigned last month, she said her bf already got marry after she came to wk my house, but, she never write or call home, how she found out, she said it was fr another maid fr her home town, whom she happended to run into the other day. And said the maid already rejected by employer and sent back to agent. Wow, so dramatic, like real.

I never trust maid, is only how high is my tolerance of their lies only. I always been good to them, but they never appreciate. So now I oso MAIDLESS, since I stay at home, so I can "supervise" the rest of my family members to do housewk lor.

JP12

Ya taking her back to agent tomorrow. I can take her back any time I want right? As long as I pay her lodging at the agency..? Sometimes having maids more problematic.. waste of our time n money. But no choice, got a baby. Treat them so nice also they don't appreciate. But we never kw how these maids think.. their mentality. We may think we treat them gd n nice but they may not think that.. We r of different level from them.
For this maid, I must fire her coz' I cannot tolerat dishonesty n lies in the house. Also, she got man outside, dangerous.. though I rate her work 7-8/10. What a shame...

MsKoh1973

the agent will try to cut as much money they must refund to u as possible, they will try to convince u to let her look for a new employer.

Maid usually dun appreciate one lah, unless u pay them alot, like I got one x-mgr, the filipino maid with them abt 10 yrs liao, they stayed in bungalow. My x-mgr want to get another maid to help, the filipino maid dun want.

becos
- $1k per month
- 1 yr one month off day (at dec cos usually whole family go oversea for holiday).
- other time no off days
then oso got bonus.

JP12

The cheaper soluion for me is to let her find another employer right? I still have to pay replacement fee if transfer Indo maid Or fresh Filipino. If new Indo then free. N then I still need to re-buy insurance.

MsKoh1973

how long she w u? I think if like within 3 m or so, the insurance can refund.

ya, if u need another maid, sure need to top up d adv salary, as for the "admin" fee, tat depends on agency, some got free replacement w/t 12 M.

JP12

She with me only 1 month+. I wont get any agency fee back right if I want to find a replacement. Free replacement only if FDW breached the work permit conditions.

MsKoh1973

no lah, I thought so long as u unsatisfy with her wk, can get free replacement now. and now she considered breach oso, cos she bought hp w/o informing u, when u already told her she cannot have hp.

so far, i went to diff agency, they let me chg so long as I dun like the maid (of cos I dun just dun like then chg), or not satisfactory w the work.

hpc

Check with ur agency if insurance can be refund .My agency maid's insurance can be refund if maid is not suitable .Refundable according to the months she work for u,for the first three months only.When a maid's hands are not clean,don't keep her.Remember a leopard will never change its spot.

JP12

I think it's free only if fdw breach the working permit conditions..which I dont know where to find the list? in MOM website? the agent straight away tell me $150 to get replacement - transfer maids.

My insurance can be refunded, not 100%, n will take at least 2 months.

It's such a pity.. her work and taking care of the baby was not bad. I try to console myself n think maybe I accused her.. but it's quite difficult.

MsKoh1973

my dear, u saw the recent news abt the maid killed n dumped inside the water tank at woodland, when it comes to Boy Girl relationship, its most dangerous. so u shd be glad that u mk up ur mind.

mommytots

From my experience of 12 years having a maid.

It is good to set the expectations correctly when they first come into your house. Write down those expectations and pass to her. It may change at times. Of course the expectations have to be reasonable. They are human like us. Work 8 hours and they are free. I doubt many employers would do that.

As for handphone, let it be. They need some privacy and freedom. Tell them not to bring problems back home (remind them at times as they are also human. You also makes mistakes) or they will be sent home. Give them 2-3 years to work, then change it. But for my case, I keep them for 5 and 7 years as they are so called 'obedient' enough. I am ok with them going to churches and weekends off.

Also watch out for that dirty old man in the house at times. Now, I am using part time maids which are locals as my kids are grown ups. Install a CCTV at home if you need to. The technology is cheap. I am Blessed.

JP12

mommytots:
Yes, of coz I informed her wat not to do and my expections from her. I let her hv 1 off day and wen she went out, I told her I dont want any trouble to b brought into the hse.
So u don't have those maids now? Did u let your maids use hp? Esp, even with day offs? I heard many ppl let their maids use hp @night. Am thinking if I shld do that for the next one..but then at night I will need her help with baby.. wonder if it will distract her and not get up to help.

mommytots

yes. I allowed her to use hp. As long as there are sensible communications, it should be fine. Don't have that strict employer-employee kind of relationship. Not healthy imo. Some maids may have boyfriend or banglas outside, just remind them that this is only short term. Are those banglas or boyfriend really want to feed them or use them? Of course some maid has needs, thats understandable, but it is always good to advice them in a nice way. If you point this and that and everything seems to be wrong, this is where rebellion comes in. You don't know what they are going to feed your kids. So, priority is still on take care of the kids. Cooking, cleaning and other stuffs will be secondary. A maid can't be a super maid. Am sure you know how stressful it is. 8-10s work. sleep.

pipilili

I think most maids nowadays wanna get their own hp.

Recently my mum's Indon maid arrived and after 3 weeks, can see she is v keen to get a HP. But we are not going to buy her one. We got her a $10 phone card to call home. But when we go out, she will loiter around HP shops...

I asked her why she dun call home using our hse line.She say cos many ppl in our hse, not convenient. Hmmm...maybe I think if she want to complain, she oso pai say. So if she has a HP, she can talk & complain in her room??? I am just thinking out loud...

In my hse, I dun have a hse line. Both my hubby and I uses HP. And I was thinking of using SKYPE to allow my maid to call home once a week - 15 mins talk time. This will allow the maid to know if anything has happened at home, if any.

Do you guys think it is necessary to really get a hse line?

Carlisle

Yes, I do and she has a hp but we don't bother to ask for her number. And she has every Sunday off too. We tell her that she can leave at 9.30 am and come home before 10. She's normally home before 9.30 and she starts cleaning up my mess in the kitchen which I've told her not to do it since it's her off day. Btw, she's filipina too. She takes great care of my son and loves him. My mum's helper has a hp too. And she doesn't yak on the phone all day too. Her sister calls my mum's place a couple of times a week and we don't care. She works well and looks after my niece great too.
I am happy that you found a nice helper. Just continue being nice and everything will fall into place. That's a vice versa thing. :)