OMG what to buy?

cseen

Hello mummys out there... so many things to buy and consider... I'm am panic freak... care to share things to buy list??
items like baby cot, clothings, stroller, car seater etc...

:shyxxx:

mummyofsix

Hello mummys out there... so many things to buy and consider... I'm am panic freak... care to share things to buy list??

Hi, dont go frantic and start buying all the stuff.... I guest this is your 1st baby. If you are thick skin enough, ask your family members or friends what they are giving you or make a list and tell them specifically what you want.

If you dont, you will end up having lots of strollers or carriers in your storeroom.

Be smart and plan for your tiny joy....

PinkDiamonds

For me I know for sure nobody in the family will be giving us the expensive baby items like stroller, cot and car seat. So we buy these stuff.

It would be good to have a list of baby items and divide them into what are the necessary and the not so urgent items. Example, clothes, cot & car seat are definitely the most urgent items as your baby will use them right after you deliver. And of course bottles, diapers, clothes.

For newborn clothes you might not want to get too many as they'll grow out it very quickly.

My strategy is to ask around for baby clothes, collect them, then sort through them and decide if I still need anymore.

For stroller, I personally did not use it very much during the first 6 months. Most of the time I will be carrying my girl in my baby carrier as it was easier than pushing a stroller around.

Other things that I feel are not so important are baby rocker/swing, toys, books, etc. Maybe these will be things people will give you during your baby's 1st month celebration. For us, we more thick-skin, we will just tell them not to buy any baby items, just give us red packets or vouchers and we will go and get the things we really want and need. I received so many baby gift sets and I never took any of them out to use cause I already had too many clothes. We had people give us play gyms and we ended up with 3-4 of them!

Also, if you Google, there are pages that will provide you with a good list of baby necessities to shop for. :)

nightingale

I was also recently experiencing the kicking in of the 'nesting' instinct, so started to compile a list of items that I will need to buy. If you google 'new baby checklist' you will find lots of interesting resources! An example is this one:

Newborn Baby Checklist

Have fun shopping! :)

January84

Hi cseen,

you can also look around the thread of want to give away, though it may be second hand, some items are as brand new and useful. It will help to save abit also.

cseen

Oh thanks for the list and advise... will sort out what to buy and prioritise... so exciting.... :)

Hi!

You may be interested to come to a bazaar selling baby stuff and related items.

Happening this Sunday @ my place together with many nice mummies n daddies cum sellers from here.

18th April 2010
2pm to 6pm
Venue: Yishun

You can call or sms me @ 9270 6862 if u need more details. =)

PinkDiamonds

Oh by the way, don't forget about baby furniture also!

You may also want to consider what kind of sleeping arrangements you are intending to have once baby comes out.

For me, we had baby sleep with us during the first 4-5months, with the intention of shifting her to her own room. So most of her items were actually in her room and for the first few months it was like a storeroom. I moved house a week before I was due, so didn't really have time to pack either. :p

So my master bedroom had to accommodate at least a cot. We bought those Toyogo type of plastic drawers to squeeze inside the room. So for the first few months we bathe her and change her diapers in my bedroom also. All the baby essentials I organized in the plastic drawers - towel, medicines, cream, blanket, bed sheet, clothes, etc.

I also have a night light in my master bedroom so that I don't wake my hubby up during night feedings and can still see my way around the room. One mistake I made was not to have an additional power supply near my bed for me to do late-night milk expression. It would also have been convenient for me to have milk warmed up by the bedside ready to feed her.

These are small details, but I think they are more important during the preparation than other baby items. Some things like baby swing, rocker, stroller, carrier, etc, if you forget still do without it and go buy it the next day. But walking in out of the room a few times in the night, especially if you decide to feed formula milk can be very very tiring!

nightingale

That's useful advice, thanks PinkDiamonds! :)
Speaking of baby baths, I'm wondering whether it would be useful to buy a stand for the bath tub? Where do you place yours when you bathe the little one? I'm hoping to be able to avoid the bending and the subsequent backaches... and also for changing diapers on the bed - not a good idea?

PinkDiamonds

Speaking of baby baths, I'm wondering whether it would be useful to buy a stand for the bath tub? Where do you place yours when you bathe the little one? I'm hoping to be able to avoid the bending and the subsequent backaches... and also for changing diapers on the bed - not a good idea?
A bathtub stand is a life-saver! I strongly encourage to get it. Some baby shops sell the bath tub + stand as a package so you can check it out. Up till now, I bathe my little girl in my master bedroom toilet, and it was only recently when she started "being more active" that I placed the bath tub on the floor.

I'm thinking of getting a diaper changing station for this upcoming babies' arrival as I had a tough time changing diaper on the bed. Not very good for my back and imagine I had to do it a few times a day. There are diaper changing attachments that you can buy which attach on the railings of the cot so that the baby is at a more comfortable level during diaper changing. You might want to check these out. :)

allycat

I put the bath tub on top of the toilet seat and I'll sit beside it while bathing the baby.

redjn

what I did is slowly listed down a shopping list but before buying I asking around friends will kids whether they had any of my listed item that they can get away once done I checked the balance for purchased. attached a file u can look into & use as guide. most of the time friends of yours & hubby may buy u gifts which is also in your lists so for those close friend u can actually tell them what to buy rather received fm them later which may n up duplication. anyway I also attache my own shopping list for your guide

Attachments

jojoki

me bought cot neva use cos, co-sleeping. bcos i fully bfeeding..breast pump n steriliser used for first 6 months only thn (i loaned the pump n got a cheap n good 2nd hand steriliser pigeon rapid fr $20 bucks! i think no need splurge on avent sterilisers)

if u plan to bf exclusively no need get so many bottles or teats.

clothes - ya they really outgrow soo fast!! nice fancy clohtes buy bigger size cos the first few months i think u wont be actively bringing ur bb out. at home weather in sg hot can wear those cooling cheap tanks..

of all the stuff i bought - these are some i feel is worth buying

a jumperoo!! ( my bb;s favourite toy!!!! which i have sold off , surely got buyer)
thermometer.. (must must have~ after vaccine if bb got fever u find urself scanning her forehead or probing her ears every half hour!)
cot mirror! - my bb loved this too up to now she still plays with it

bath tub n stand is a must fr me leh.. i really cant take bending down to bathe my bb.. the stand was a saver!! if u buying a tub with stand dun get those that r too big cos newborn bb dun need lots of water to bathe in.. waste water. get a nice small one will do.. whn she outgrows u can start bathing her with tub on floor...

happy shopping!!

charesa09

Hi Cseen,

Hmm dont panic.. there's many mummies out here who can can you advises..keke.. I think there's a lot of questions when comming to buy things for your baby.

First of all, is baby sleeping with you. Air-con room or not. Many parents will tend to over buy loads of stuff that they dont need. If you plan baby to sleep with you then dont even need a baby cot. I got a second hand cot but she dont even use it coz most of the time she sleep next to me and doze off while breastfeed. Now 8mths had past she sleeps on her own on the bed. If sleep diff room then cot is a must followed by a baby monitor, which you can monitor baby from a diff room. Catergorize the things you need to buy, Eg. clothings, Breast feed/ bottle feed essentials, toiletries, bedding essentials..etc Then you'll be more organised and clear of what to buy.

As for clothings.. dont buy too many.. about 7-8 pieces for the 1st 1-2 mths.. reletives and friends usually buy baby clothings.. very typical sight...Oh yah.. buy a few of those wrap around clothes.. easier to handle. and maybe 2 tummy binders(tolly joy) to protect your baby's navel cord from getting caught in clothings. Then again aircon/or w/o aircon = long sleeved or short sleeved. for the later months shop for clothes again if needed.. baby will out grow their clothes very fast..they gain almost 1kg each month..so imagine yah..

Receiving blanket can have dual purpose. you'll need it right after your baby discharge from hospital.. the hospital gave me the bathtub my darling used from day one..and i need not buy 1 untill she's bigger. Oh those swaddle wrap thingie is useless.. you can swaddle baby using the receiving blanket.. like how they are wrapped in the hospital.

If still unclear... there are baby check list available online.. check out the one from MOTHERCARE webbie.. I used that as a guideline..

Huishan

i went to kaki bukit, shun li industrial todae... baby hypermart and baby kingdom... hypermart, theres nth much... all abt strollers and car seats... kingdom, its something like mini kiddy palace... gt clothes, cot, stroller, car seat, beddings items, bottles... and avent bottles having 10% off nw... there is a check list over there to let u noe wat u need and dun... the staffs r very friendly too...

rubberseed

Not sure if you have delivered, but from my experience - buy breast feeding stuff after delivery. I was so sure I was going to BF, and was already planning where to pump/store milk in my office. It seemed quite natural/normal for mummies in my office to have such quantity of milk. Unfortunately, my milk supply didn't come in until the 2nd week. After that, still very low despite latching, fernugreek, massages etc... so do some research on what to buy but can buy later after birth