Overfeeding, pls help.

Jeannie86

Dear Mummies,

My little boy is 7 weeks now and he always split out almost everything after he had his meal directly from my breast (i feed him both side as he keep crying), but not if i give him express breast milk.Currently, I'm giving him express breast milk cos no choice. Really wanted to switch to direct BF . I can express about 140ml both side every 3 hours, and he can drink about 100-120ml every 3 hours.

Would want to know any mummy here had encountered the same problem like mine? And any solution to let baby latch on without vomiting after that?

Very possibly ur not latching him on properly when u bf him. If baby still vomits after bf it means he has swallowed air. Have u seen a lactation consultant? U shd get help with latching on. It's not too late. U can do it mommy! :)

Hi Jeannie. I know how you feel. My daughter is the same way. I always assume all babies know when to stop when they have had enough but not my girl. She goes on and on and on... till she throws up. I use to worry she would explode from overfeeding. She refuses to suck a pacifier or her thumb and uses me as a soothing object. Even now at 14mths she constantly wants to latch on even when not hungry. I think that contributes to her rather pudgy stature. My mistake was I did not let her get used to bottle feeding. Now she refuses the bottle as well. Hope you have better luck than me in controlling your son's feeding amount.

biscuit

agree with ast0212, may be your oversupply and reflux problem.
if for oversupply, try cut your pumping session and can even skip pumping if you are not returning to work so soon.
this can help in oversupply problem.

for reflux, if the vomitting still persist for about 1-2 weeks, see PD.. if not baby should past this stage soon..

try to prop baby up instead of let baby flat on the bed after feeding. burp bb after feed can help too.. when my son was still a tiny, he used to vomit out everytime after feed too, we used to carry him abt 30 mins before putting him on bed, if not the milk will either flow from his nose or he will vomit out..

but hang in there mummy, your baby will outgrow it soon. good luck on your breastfeeding journey.

Jeannie86

Thanks for your advice, Mayyamaysha. I've seen lactation consultant for 2 times when i got engorgement. Aiyo, she pressed my breast til blue black, haha, more painful than engorge itself. :((. It is not due to latching improper, i think the problem lay on my little boy, he doesnt know when to stop, keep suckling on and on

Jeannie86

Hi Jeannie. I know how you feel. My daughter is the same way. I always assume all babies know when to stop when they have had enough but not my girl. She goes on and on and on... till she throws up. I use to worry she would explode from overfeeding. She refuses to suck a pacifier or her thumb and uses me as a soothing object. Even now at 14mths she constantly wants to latch on even when not hungry. I think that contributes to her rather pudgy stature. My mistake was I did not let her get used to bottle feeding. Now she refuses the bottle as well. Hope you have better luck than me in controlling your son's feeding amount.
Hi, I'm luckier than you since my baby is fed by bottle as well as breastfeed and he accepts pacifier too. I think you should let someone else to feed him by bottle but not you. To see whether it is help.

Jeannie86

agree with ast0212, may be your oversupply and reflux problem.
if for oversupply, try cut your pumping session and can even skip pumping if you are not returning to work so soon.
this can help in oversupply problem.

for reflux, if the vomitting still persist for about 1-2 weeks, see PD.. if not baby should past this stage soon..

try to prop baby up instead of let baby flat on the bed after feeding. burp bb after feed can help too.. when my son was still a tiny, he used to vomit out everytime after feed too, we used to carry him abt 30 mins before putting him on bed, if not the milk will either flow from his nose or he will vomit out..

but hang in there mummy, your baby will outgrow it soon. good luck on your breastfeeding journey.
Thank ya. Im now trying to control my baby by counting from 1 to 60 after he finished 1 side and still want some more milk from the other side. It is working. He didnt split up. but kind of worry whether he get enough milk or not. If not, will his weight reduce or constant. The disadvantage of direct latch on is we dont know how much our baby drink. Drink less, hungry. Drink more, vomit.

headache.

Jeannie86

Hi Jeannie, it could possible be due to reflux or too fast flow of milk. I hope this article may help explain:

kellymom.com :: Spitting Up & Reflux in the Breastfed Baby

Smaller but more frequent feedings can help. Try direct latching more as bottles tend to give babies more wind.

Hope it helps and all the best :)

Thanks. It is a good article. :). My milk flow is fast and he always get choke and cough but after that he is ok and continue to suck. I dont know how to make my milk flows slower. My mom in law advised me take a hanging clip and clip my nipple to reduce the flow when feeding ( ?????). But i dont do so, what i do is observing my baby, seeing him going to get choke and i quickly take my breast off. Do you know any other method?

xiaofry

Thanks. It is a good article. :). My milk flow is fast and he always get choke and cough but after that he is ok and continue to suck. I dont know how to make my milk flows slower. My mom in law advised me take a hanging clip and clip my nipple to reduce the flow when feeding ( ?????). But i dont do so, what i do is observing my baby, seeing him going to get choke and i quickly take my breast off. Do you know any other method?

Hi u mite wanna induce let down first cos onli the initial stage is fast flowing. U can try use a breast pump and get past the milk "squirting" stage. Just pump till let down den stop pumping. Use a towel or tissue to put pressure on ur nipple. Den let ur baby latch on. See if it helps. Pls do not use a hanging clip! *ouch*

I always lying down in posture for breast feeding of my baby but nothing change :)but still my supply flows the same position.

Anne013

Read somewhere that the lying down posture for breast feeding slows milk flow..

I cannot feel when i feed before.