P1 Preparatory Class

Mom72

My son is going K2 next year and I'm having alot of peer pressure to put him in P1 Preparatory Class.

Can anyone brief me how is the class like? What they teach and is it really necessary for them to go for such classes?

TIA!:001_302:

tommyBoi

Alpha Male
My son is going K2 next year and I'm having alot of peer pressure to put him in P1 Preparatory Class.

Can anyone brief me how is the class like? What they teach and is it really necessary for them to go for such classes?

TIA!:001_302:
hmm.. dont really think need to go for P1 Preparatory Class.. my son adapted his primary school very well without attending it.
He even tell me he likes to go to school very much... and he get quite a good result this year.
The most impt thing is u must guide him along the way, he will enjoy the sch very much.
Cheers!! :001_302:

Mom72

How about enrichment class? My friend's girl, same age as my son, has been going to zoo phonics and abacus classes.

My son only goes for piano and swimming lesson, nothing academic. :tconfused:

tommyBoi

Alpha Male
How about enrichment class? My friend's girl, same age as my son, has been going to zoo phonics and abacus classes.

My son only goes for piano and swimming lesson, nothing academic. :tconfused:
Actually depend on individula parents lor.. my son did nt attend any enrichment classes but he still can be in the School Top 25% Student in his final exam. Me and my wife just guide him all along.. I alway tell him anything u dunno, just ask.. and we r very patience explaining to him.. His teacher said he is a hard working student and he like to ask many questions. :001_302: Unless u feel that ur kids need to, if nt i feel it is still ok nt to attend those classes.

Mom72

Thanks alot. My sil is a kindy teacher and she kept stressing to me that everyone is going for the class and if my son doesn't go, and if he cannot catch up with the class standard, the teacher will neglect him.

tommyBoi

Alpha Male
Thanks alot. My sil is a kindy teacher and she kept stressing to me that everyone is going for the class and if my son doesn't go, and if he cannot catch up with the class standard, the teacher will neglect him.
I dont think is a MUST la, however it is still better for the kids to attend enrichment classes.
For my son's school, those student wif nt so good result will go for remedial classes. They will go to school a few hours earlier than other students (My son's class is in PM). No one is being neglected la, so no worry abt that. :001_302:

jedamum

knowing how to read is impt. waiting until SA1 results to gauge if your kid can cope is already too late. you should know roughly whether your kid is ready by his/her maturity, ability to read etc. sad thing is that if kids are always playing catching up in school, it will bond to affect their interest in studying.
you know your kids standard more than anyone.
without enrichment, can always buy some age appropriate assessment books for self-guidance at home.

2 cents worth.

Hi..
I think its good for P1 to P3 to get a private tutor to set the child's foundation well.. If by P3, the child is coping well, then maybe can send him to classes that are in groups.. I also gave the same advice to my sis and even my students parents and its good..

jedamum

Hi..
I think its good for P1 to P3 to get a private tutor to set the child's foundation well.. If by P3, the child is coping well, then maybe can send him to classes that are in groups.. I also gave the same advice to my sis and even my students parents and its good..
are you a teacher?

Yup.. i am a full time tutor for 6 years plus.. So what i have wrote earlier in my previous reply was based on my experience.:Dancing_wub:

I feel that every individual child is different in terms of learning style.
Some children are fast learners while some are slower, so there is no benchmarking. Upbringing and mentality of the child are crucial. If they are negative, it would be tough. If they have a great exposure to learning. Knowledge- asking questions in all aspects, they are hungry to learn and they will succeed. The most important thing is to understand the child.

unlike some ppl who come to the site to solicit for business. sigh...

Hannah

I think it's more important that they can read. Again, it all depends on the readiness of your child. If force them to go, i think too stressful for them at such a young age.

And yes, they will be arranged to go for remedial class if they are weak, so no worries :)

simplyjo

Hi hi, my eldest girl is in K2 this year & I had tried to enrol her in P1 prep class earlier but the tution centre is a disaster so I pulled her out of it.

Janelle has been taking phonics and Speech & Drama lessons since she was in Nursery and she enjoys these classes. My 2nd girl has just started her phonics lessons too and so far she is enjoying herself.

I'm a strong believer to let the children attend enrichment lessons earlier so they can take their time to learn. BUT this is on the condition that the children themselves have the interest to learn and not because we the parents want them to attend these lessons. If the children do not have the interest, they will not enjoy the learning process and they will not remember what they have been taught.

homeechin

Hi Mummies,

What are your current after-school arrangements for your kids who have started primary school? I need experienced mummies to share with me your experience and thoughts. I'm contemplating the need for me to work part-time (if my current employer is open to it) or quit my full-time job and find some home-based work when my kids start primary school. My relatives told me to chuck them to after-school student care, but I felt 5 yrs of child-care life (they are sent to child-care as young as 18 mths) is enough for them though they do enjoy their child-care life. Other relatives said just continue to have a maid to take care of them after school. I thought primary school is their impt foundation years in mainstream education as well as discipline, I can't imagine that role being assumed by the maid. My friend whose girl is in P2 told me that she never bothers to coach her girl. She just leaves it to her girl and pretends everything is ok. She also says she doesn't seem to see a lot of homework or work that needs to be done after sch. Hmm....???

zara

Hi Mummies,

What are your current after-school arrangements for your kids who have started primary school? I need experienced mummies to share with me your experience and thoughts. I'm contemplating the need for me to work part-time (if my current employer is open to it) or quit my full-time job and find some home-based work when my kids start primary school. My relatives told me to chuck them to after-school student care, but I felt 5 yrs of child-care life (they are sent to child-care as young as 18 mths) is enough for them though they do enjoy their child-care life. Other relatives said just continue to have a maid to take care of them after school. I thought primary school is their impt foundation years in mainstream education as well as discipline, I can't imagine that role being assumed by the maid. My friend whose girl is in P2 told me that she never bothers to coach her girl. She just leaves it to her girl and pretends everything is ok. She also says she doesn't seem to see a lot of homework or work that needs to be done after sch. Hmm....???
Honestly,the best choice is to a student care centre. Rather than u leave ur child to a maid. Student care is for Primary sch level. Student care will help to supervise ur child sch work and also tuttion provided by the centre.Hv no worries. :001_302:

priscilla

As a teacher by profession, I am currently on leave. I could say that the parent active participation in a child's education and guiding their child is better than anything they could give to their child like tuition unless they could not explain to the child.

Child will view parents' participation in their education as "it is important to work hard as my parents value my education". As for enrichment lessons, music lessons etc, I would say go by the child's interests. Your daily involvement in your child's education will produce result.

It is important to train a child to read and also important to train them in comprehending what they have read. Phonics lessons teach the child to combine the sounds to read the word which can be useful but at the same time a handicap as not all words followed straightly to the phonics sound. I supposed it has to be a good combination of all like flashcard, prior knowledge, phonics, comprehending. Phonics may be useful to spelling but like I said before it does not work with all the words

Last edited:

priscilla

Oops, double posting.

Read to the child daily and taking the opportunity to enhance on the child's prior knowledge and teaching teaching the child to be observance can also help in their studies. Incidential learning is also important too.

Most child could be able to read from 3 to 5 years old and it all depending on the child himself and by providing the child with lots of printed material in a wide variety and read to them daily at a fixed time will help too.

Last edited:

EnFlor

I believe some of the important areas that we ourselves can prepare them are :

1) basic social skills
eg: learning to say PLEASE, THANK YOU, MAY I, EXCUSE ME, SORRY etc, learning the proper way to ask general/frequent questions and replies.

2) teach them basic money matters.
- Use coins in buying things, simple addition and subtraction

3) teach them about basic time telling.

4) teach them some basic 'survivial' skills (through story-telling/role play)
eg: how to make phone calls, memorise contact numbers, what to do in case of emergencies, how to react to certain situation.

Personally, i emphasize all the BASICs first coz i believe these are essential skills, Once the kid enters school , the kid will pick up the rest of the skills along the way. And we can just reinforce them.

So, do u still need to pay an instructor for some of the areas i've shared ?
For me, coz these are just BASICs, i think i can manage to go through them with my kid.

Karen2306

Hi my boy is in k2 this year. I feel very stress for his P1 preparation. At the same time I am looking for home tuition for him.