Pacificer and Sleep

Cheyenne

Hi Mummies, Any one giving your baby pacifier ?

My 4 mths old still want his pacificer, especially when sleepy. At night (about 11pm), after his last feed, he will cry for pacifier to soother for sleep.When deep asleep, we will remove the pacifier or it dropped out itself. Then at about 4am, he will wake up (eye close) crying for pacifier. Once popped into his mouth, and a few pat, he will fall back to sleep till about 5am plus, and then cry for pacifier. This goes on a few times in the early morning.

We are trying to kick his habit of pacifier. We removed his mitten and he enjoying sucking his hands and fist.But as he kept scratching himself (till ugly red line), we have to wear mitten for him, so he sucking his mitten till all wet.

Any mummies can share with me what to do ?

PinkDiamonds

My daughter uses a pacifier sometimes in the day and when she sleeps at night. If it falls out in the night we will just put it back (provided she wakes up for it).

I think it's perfectly fine, perhaps too early to kick the habit.

apollo

agree with pinkdiamond mummy... 4mth old is too early to kick off the habit... ds also nd pacifier at night toslp.. but aft it drop off, we will keep it..

MomoMummy

me too in the afternoon her pacifier keep dropping out and she will cry for it. i tired to keep running in to put in for her. she cannot dun have pacifier.. she will cry and v hard for her to fall asleep.

at night, when we wrap her, the last flap of the towel to cover her body, on the top we cover her mouth. inside put her pacifier and wrap tight. but must allow space from towel to throat. when she wakes up for milk, the pacifier still there.. bt i dun recommed this method. quite dangerous. but we do so cos daughter will still cry when pacifier in mouth.

if without wrap, first few minutes drop have to put in.. when she realli in sleep drop den we will take out. cry after few minutes, will put in for her again. quite hectic.

i not sure if all babies will cry when pacifier inside.. thats y WHO dun recommend pacifier cos some baby when got pacifier they cannot cry but actually very hungry. lower risk of cot death.

apollo

me too in the afternoon her pacifier keep dropping out and she will cry for it. i tired to keep running in to put in for her. she cannot dont have pacifier.. she will cry and very hard for her to fall asleep.

at night, when we wrap her, the last flap of the towel to cover her body, on the top we cover her mouth. inside put her pacifier and wrap tight. but must allow space from towel to throat. when she wakes up for milk, the pacifier still there.. bt i dont recommed this method. quite dangerous. but we do so cos daughter will still cry when pacifier in mouth.

if without wrap, first few minutes drop have to put in.. when she really in sleep drop then we will take out. cry after few minutes, will put in for her again. quite hectic.

i not sure if all babies will cry when pacifier inside.. thats why WHO dont recommend pacifier cos some baby when got pacifier they cannot cry but actually very hungry. lower risk of cot death.
ds will still cry wven he has paci in his mouth.. he will spit out and cry if he is v hungry...

Ting

uh, 4 mths old shld not wear mittens already.
he's learning to explore with his hands.
for pin, i gv her pacifier til she about 2 yo. but strictly when she is sleeping or napping.
weaned off easily in fact.
within 2 weeks and she stops asking for it already.

now only 4 mths u start to wean, might as well not give him in the first place.

holeyman1

try not giving the pacifier when they cry in the middle of the night.

Introduce bottle or BM. Chances are they might be hungry, suckling action

ma.. Not sure if it'll work for you but Toby was like that.

chelle

I think 4 mth old still young to wean off pacifier.
I think pacifier is a god-send, whenever my boy cried n is not time for milk yet, i will give him the pacifier!
Read somewhere that the sucking make the BB assured and reduce air going into his mouth when he cry

apollo

I think 4 month old still young to wean off pacifier.
I think pacifier is a god-send, whenever my boy cried and is not time for milk yet, i will give him the pacifier!
Read somewhere that the sucking make the baby assured and reduce air going into his mouth when he cry
actu my pd kind of 'reco' pacifier... he said pacifier actu can give babies sense of security... as sometimes they are not hungry, just want something to suckle on then they will feel 'safe'... :tlaugh:

yukimaxx

dear son will still cry wven he has paci in his mouth.. he will spit out and cry if he is very hungry...
my baby gal is like ur son! nothing can pacify her when she is hungry except milk! pacifier dun work for her all the time, only when she is in the mood for it :nah:

chelle

actually my pediatrician kind of 'reco' pacifier... he said pacifier actually can give babies sense of security... as sometimes they are not hungry, just want something to suckle on then they will feel 'safe'... :tlaugh:
Ya, that what i read also, so i rather give it to him then risk him crying and get colic.
But nowadays, my 3 mth boy like to suck both the pacifier and thumb at the same time, still suck till have sound, like very yummy like dat..haa

apollo

Ya, that what i read also, so i rather give it to him then risk him crying and get colic.
But nowadays, my 3 month boy like to suck both the pacifier and thumb at the same time, still suck till have sound, like very yummy like dat..haa
ds too! sometimes he will spit out his paci and eat his hands... but i rather his suck paci... LOL

Triquetra

I am also giving my dd pacifier, is she too young?
She used to nibble instead of drink during breastfeed until I have cracked nipples. If I pull out my breast, she will start crying which is why I have no choice but to give her pacifier :(

apollo

I am also giving my dear daughter pacifier, is she too young?
She used to nibble instead of drink during breastfeed until I have cracked nipples. If I pull out my breast, she will start crying which is why I have no choice but to give her pacifier :(
ds also started paci ard 2-3 week old...

Cheyenne

Thanks Mummies for your valuable sharing.

At least I don't feel so guilty now. I felt that pacifier is a god sent 'stopper'. I also use it temporary to soother him when making the milk.

I also want to remove the mitten for him, but when I saw those ugly red blood line on his head, face, so heart pain. His nails are rather sharp despite triming. I rather he suck his fingers instead of the cloth.

fioncess

At least I dont't feel so guilty now. I felt that pacifier is a god sent 'stopper'. I also use it temporary to soother him when making the milk.

I also want to remove the mitten for him, but when I saw those ugly red blood line on his head, face, so heart pain. His nails are rather sharp despite triming. I rather he suck his fingers instead of the cloth.
Whendid you baby start sucking finger?? My baby now 2 mth alr wan to suck her hand. is it too early??

apollo

At least I dont't feel so guilty now. I felt that pacifier is a god sent 'stopper'. I also use it temporary to soother him when making the milk.

\
ds too... so when i'm free, i'll file his nail... haha!

fioncess, ds started having his 'drumlets feast' when he was 2mth + :001_302:

PinkDiamonds

You know a pacifier allows me to tell when my daughter is really hungry or just want to suckle for comfort. If she's really hungry wants milk she won't even suck the pacifier.

& I believe the pacifier also helps them to self-comfort.

Also, my daughter got eczema and it can get very itchy, so the pacifier is a comfort.

chiro

our babies got two good frens easily wifin reach when inside u..his umblical cord n fingers... Now he left wif his fingers which hehad long acquaintnace wif since in u.. They r his goodfren..

But nowadays, my 3 month boy like to suck both the pacifier and thumb at the same time, still suck till have sound, like very yummy like dat..haa

chiro

we did not use pacifieron him since birth till now.. So ialwaysoffer him my breasts when he cry..they are hispacifiers wif milk milk hehe

But now when he cry, i will gently pat him for a while then he sleep..