Pacifier Addiction... How?

Triquetra

My 2+ month old is very dependent on his pacifier. So much so that it has created a problem at night because when he loses it and then wakes, he wants it again. I have to keep waking at night to give it cause he won't settle back and it's too early to let him cry for too long.

Any advice?

pixie

Honestly, he is just 2+ months old. I would think this is normal and it happens to many babies around this age. If he is 3 years old and still sucking his pacifier everywhere he goes, then it might be a concerned.

I have to pick up pacifier for my baby girl who is now going to 6 months soon at least 6-7 times nightly. So saying that this is an addiction for a 2+months old baby is a bit harsh...at least to me.

I suppose the choice we have is either do not start our little one with a pacifier (at at all) or just wean them off slowly.

Triquetra

I am returning to work soon, it will be tough to wake up all the times at night just to place that pacifier back into his mouth.

It's not only affecting my sleep but his own as well which is why I am concerned and wondering if there is any way to let him continue sleeping even if his pacifier falls off.

pixie

I have returned back to work now and still picking up her pacifier thoroughout the night when she pushes it out. What I have noticed from my girl is that so long I picked up her dummy on top and stuck it back to her mouth, it does not affect her sleep; in fact she continues with her sleep.

I was told that if the picking up the pacifier is a chore or parents worries that it might affect the quality of sleep in their baby, the best is never to even start giving them the pacifier/dummy.

I would be keen to know how to train a 2+months old baby not to rely on a dummy when it falls off although I highly doubt there is any method such they are so young.

Triquetra

I think if baby has already woken up by the time she has given the cue (whimpering or crying) in the first place.

With them waking whenever the pacifier falls off, they don't even get the chance to fall into deep sleep. And I don't think it's good for babies as sleep is crucial to their delveopment.

Since I have already given my boy pacifier, I am hoping that there might be some methods or alternatives to ease the situation. Right now my boy wakes at least 6x in a 1.5 hrs nap... He doesn't show that he is that well rested by the end of it though.

Ekari

Hmm, I saw some parents who tie the pacifier around their babies neck ... forming a necklace-like pacifier. Maybe that could help?

Gem2505

hmm.. its normal for a baby to be "addictive" to pacifier.
as time passes, the situation should improve.
just endure awhile more. =D

pixie

I second that, hence, I just remain as a 'picker of pacifier' for my baby as I know it's just a matter of time that she will stop doing this.
My girl takes naps during the day, so even if she does not get her quality sleep at night, I am not too concerned. I can see that she is growing/putting on weight and being active the next morning, so I know she is fine.

I think workload is taking over me since I returned from maternity leave therefore I do not tend to be a worrier for nitty-gritty stuff....such as this.

hmm.. its normal for a baby to be "addictive" to pacifier.
as time passes, the situation should improve.
just endure awhile more. =D

Triquetra

I second that, hence, I just remain as a 'picker of pacifier' for my baby as I know it's just a matter of time that she will stop doing this.
My girl takes naps during the day, so even if she does not get her quality sleep at night, I am not too concerned. I can see that she is growing/putting on weight and being active the next morning, so I know she is fine.

I think workload is taking over me since I returned from maternity leave therefore I do not tend to be a worrier for nitty-gritty stuff....such as this.
Like I've mentioned, it affected my child's sleep regardless of nap or night time.
My child is putting on weight and active as well but I don't think that provides enough clues to how well their brain development is.
And good quality sleep is especially important in contributing to that wellness.

I am not a new mom so I think I can tell whats nitty gritty and whats not from my experience. Furthermore I do not wish to be blaming 'workload' when I know that insufficient good rest can also contribute to stress :)

Last edited:

pixie

I might be a first time mum but I have been helping my mum who used to be a nanny/babysitter who took care of many newborn up to the age of 7 and yet I have not came across one baby who is not addicted to a pacifier....well at least not at 2+months old. Llike I have said before, I doubt there is any method we can adopt to stop the pacifier from falling out or to stop a 2+ months old baby from 'pacifier addiction'.

As Gem2505 has pointed out, with time, the situation will improve and if you have not started your baby with a pacifier then you will not at have this problem now.

Btw, on a few occasions, during day naps, my girl spit-out the dummy and when I tried to put it back, she will push it out again. Hence, I believe it will come to a time where our baby knows when enough is enough.

Best of luck and do share if you can find a solution to stop such addicition and perhaps I can try on my girl as she is going to turn 6 months by end of this week :)

Last edited:

marshmallows

My 2+ month old is very dependent on his pacifier. So much so that it has created a problem at night because when he loses it and then wakes, he wants it again. I have to keep waking at night to give it cause he won't settle back and it's too early to let him cry for too long.

Any advice?
You mentioned that it's too early to let him cry for too long. So not much of a choice now isn't it? Can't be letting him go cold turkey without a pacifier unless you want to wean him off the hard way. They will go through such stages where they spit out the dummy and then cry for it again. Some babies only need it to fall asleep but some will constantly look for it once they can't soothe themselves back to sleep.

I'm not trying to sound harsh here but you mentioned you are not a first time mummy, so haven't you anticipated this problem would arise when u intro pacifier? Well unless if your elder child didn't use the pacifier previously.

Things will get better. We know it's not easy since you are going back to work soon and you need your fair share of sleep. Just hang on there, give your baby more time k.

Last edited:

engel

Why not co-sleep with him/her so ull have faster response time if she fidgets...
I co-slept with my elder till abt 5 mths when she could start soothing herself... Now my younger sleeps on her own at 4 mths but co-sleeps with me on her grouchy days...

Gem2505

my girl started off with pacifier at 1month old. but we try to let her suck her thumb time to time at that age and she knows how to do it on her own at that time. so i gave her pacifier and at times, she will auto suck her thumb. ha. so mine is quite "relax". LOL.
no worries, ur bb will know how to search for his pacifier and put it back himself in time to come , when he really need it. no choice. have to go thru this till he stop sucking the pacifier. maybe try not to give him too often till he really look for pacifier all the time. my girl will auto spit the pacifier out when she's deeply asleep and never look for it unless she wakes up middle of the night , den i faster put the pacifier back then she will auto go back slp.
my girl is a very good sleeper, so i nv had problem on her sleeping habit/timing.. she can slp from 9pm till 7am nx day without waking up for feed thru out since day 1. so i think im quite lucky thou. hehe!

Triquetra

my girl started off with pacifier at 1month old. but we try to let her suck her thumb time to time at that age and she knows how to do it on her own at that time. so i gave her pacifier and at times, she will auto suck her thumb. ha. so mine is quite "relax". LOL.
no worries, ur bb will know how to search for his pacifier and put it back himself in time to come , when he really need it. no choice. have to go thru this till he stop sucking the pacifier. maybe try not to give him too often till he really look for pacifier all the time. my girl will auto spit the pacifier out when she's deeply asleep and never look for it unless she wakes up middle of the night , den i faster put the pacifier back then she will auto go back slp.
my girl is a very good sleeper, so i nv had problem on her sleeping habit/timing.. she can slp from 9pm till 7am nx day without waking up for feed thru out since day 1. so i think im quite lucky thou. hehe!
I am doing the same!
My boy is starting to suck his thumb and I let him do that instead of giving him his pacifier all the times.
I just gotta make sure to clean his hands regularly. Once a while he cries and while waiting for me to replace his pacifier, he will suckle his thumb and doze back to sleep. Doesn't always work though but still it's an improvement.

Triquetra

Why not co-sleep with him/her so ull have faster response time if she fidgets...
I co-slept with my elder till abt 5 mths when she could start soothing herself... Now my younger sleeps on her own at 4 mths but co-sleeps with me on her grouchy days...
I am already co-sleeping with my elder girl while waiting for our flat which will only be ready next year.

Triquetra

You mentioned that it's too early to let him cry for too long. So not much of a choice now isn't it? Can't be letting him go cold turkey without a pacifier unless you want to wean him off the hard way. They will go through such stages where they spit out the dummy and then cry for it again. Some babies only need it to fall asleep but some will constantly look for it once they can't soothe themselves back to sleep.

I'm not trying to sound harsh here but you mentioned you are not a first time mummy, so haven't you anticipated this problem would arise when u intro pacifier? Well unless if your elder child didn't use the pacifier previously.

Things will get better. We know it's not easy since you are going back to work soon and you need your fair share of sleep. Just hang on there, give your baby more time k.
Actually nope cause my younger boy is a much lighter sleeper compared to my girl.
My girl once in deep sleep, would spit out her pacifier and wouldn't need it back where else my boy will need it replaced.

Well I just read that I can gradually cut down the usage of pacifier or let the baby have it when he is sleepy but slowly take it off after he has fallen asleep. Am putting that on practise now.

Gem2505

I am doing the same!
My boy is starting to suck his thumb and I let him do that instead of giving him his pacifier all the times.
I just gotta make sure to clean his hands regularly. Once a while he cries and while waiting for me to replace his pacifier, he will suckle his thumb and doze back to sleep. Doesn't always work though but still it's an improvement.
at this age, when they havent learn how to crawl all that, bb hands are pretty clean. dont be toooo clean else nx time abit dirty bb cannot take it. ha. my girl stopped sucking her thumb since 4months old. coz she's teething now, so, alot of biting of her fingers instead now. =D
just tahan another 2-3months, then teach bb how to hold pacifier and put back on his own can le. my girl now pro liao.. auto will put her pacifier in when she need and will spit out when she dont want..

JHeyw

each child is different but personally i think 2 months is too early to start thinking of weaning off the pacifier…. we weaned off our baby at 5th or 6th month… is there something that worries you with a pacifier?

Triquetra

each child is different but personally i think 2 months is too early to start thinking of weaning off the pacifier…. we weaned off our baby at 5th or 6th month… is there something that worries you with a pacifier?
I am not intending to wean baby off pacifier totally, just hoping that somehow I can reduce baby's reliance on the pacifier.