Pets?

angiebaby

Hi ladies out there, I'm pregnant for 6 weeks, i have 2 dogs which they are my most precious babies, accompany me for 8 years, and bring me a lot of joy.

i went to see gynae she said keep away from the waste of dogs, and hubby as lazy as before, i have to wake up early to feed and walk them but as you know, im sleepy all the time and getting up early morning getting more and more difficult.

i love my dogs and i hate those who dump their dogs after they have babies, dogs cant choose the owner and we have to be responsible owner, to me its like if you cant even take care of your pet, how can you take care a baby?

now my parents ask me to send the dogs away, i told them no way, i rather stay alone and bring up the kid alone than send my dogs away, i just dont understand why old people have these kind of concept? pets and babies can not be under one roof?

anyone of you have pets in the house when you having babies? how you settle the issue? please do not post reply if you have the same idea that i should send my dogs away, i have enough headache now.

I hv 2 dogs, 1 long hair rabbit & 1 chinchilla. I never hv any intention of having any kid, cos i prefer my furkids den kids...until i accidently got pregnant. Worse is, i had to closed down my pet shop due to my unstable pregnancy during my 1st trimester. =( When ppls telling me to give away my pets cos of the baby, i'll jus give them black black face. Pls loh! They're all lives n kids to me ok! Now because of a baby which i never expected to hv, u wan me to betray my furkids meh? Never!

Back to the topic...during my pregnancy, my hubby helped me with pets most of the time especially the 1st trimester. 2nd & 3rd trimester, i managed them mostly(cos i likes to move alot too)...so dun worry, u'll feels better when u pass the 1st trimester. For your dogs, make sure u let them noe u r expecting a baby(sometime they can sense the different in u). It's to let them get used to the new member in your family, n to prevent any aggressive behaviours toward the baby in future. When u bring the baby home from the hospital, let them see it, smell it, n introduce the baby to them.(hv to be careful when introducing, as some dogs very unexpected) I always let them smell my baby's changed clothes n diapers...n let them see the baby. When the baby is sleeping, give your dogs the usual attention like in the past, so tat they won't feels jealous. Now my boy is already 5mths old, i try to put him close to the dog(1 by 1)under monitoring, he gets very curious n always wan to touch them. My dogs r quite ok with my baby so far(fingers crossed). Oh ya...now u can start to pull n tug gently at your dogs' ears, legs & tail, let them get used to it. Cos baby will play like this in future(they can't control their strength yet). N trains them not to play bite. =)

angiebaby

Thanks Bluemoon, my dogs are noti babes and my boy hate kids, if he sees one at outside, he will either bark, charge or turn away, so im really hope he can get along with my baby. but for er pulling leg pulling tail pulling, when we play i always do that...bleahz...they are use to it already, hahaha....

somehow i have a feeling that my dogs and baby will not have any problem, but the people around me, husband, parents, they are the obstacles...my dogs sleeping with me on my bed, this morning my boy put his head on my chest and looking at me with his big black eyes, i told myself " we will be together, no matter what will be the cost", so ya, now just need to wait together for my baby to arrive!

cheers!

++eLaiNe++

I'm oso having 1 furkid for 3yrs..same as yr case some of my relativs asked me to give him away as we waited 6 long years b4 we had our 1st baby now..
but luckily my hubby love my furkid as much as i do..

we both agreed tat our furkid wont get to go off just bcoz we having baby soon next year..to us our furkid is 1 of our son..no way to give son away ya..

my reaction is NO WAY to give away my furkid just bcoz those ppl too..especially my in laws asking me to put my boy outside my room(he sleep in our room wif us) and no more carry him or allow him to kiss me..

but i still ignore them as my MIL know i love my furkid dearly she never say such things to me but pass msg through my hubby..

but my furkid oso dun like kids or babies too..tink due to the yelling n screaming..but i tink in the future he will get used of those crying and should be no issue..

as for clearing the poo issue..usually when my hubby ard he will do so..but when he went to work i will clear it myself and after throwing away i will wash my hands wif soap..

every night hubby will clean and throw the paper in the pee tray soaked wif pee..as i'm like u after preggy i'm always feeling tired..but i will still try to groom my boy daily myself..else my hubby will help out..

btw my furkid is a shih tzu..i oso trimmed his coat short puppy cut so tat things are easy for me..i tink as long u keep the hse clean and i dun see if there's issue for baby and furkid to be together..

Doreen2906

Hi angiebaby,

I have 3 dogs - 1 min schnauzer, 1 yorkshire, 1 maltese. From the day that they individually came to be with me & my hubby, they have always slept with us on our bed, I always kiss my schnauzer since she was a puppy til even now. As they are my own dogs, I know how clean I keep them & their health conditions that they are free fr any parasites/diseases, thus I do not fear sleeping & kissing them. My hubby love them as much, even my parents-in-law whom I live with, also love them, only occasionally my mum-in-law told me to stop sleeping with them when I enter my 3rd tri, cos she worried they may accidentally jump on my tummy. :001_302:

I have told my gynae abt this, and he has assured me that dogs are perfectly fine, as long as I know they are kept clean and healthy, he even told me do not give away my dogs like many ppl do when they got pregnant! Even clearing their wastes would not pose health hazards. Its only cats that my gynae told me to keep away from, especially their wastes products. I have read several documents on the net, on the dangers that cats' wastes may pose on preggy ladies & their baby inside. Please do not think that I am a cat-hater, I love cats as well.

Btw, I am a prof. pet groomer. Even til now in my 20th week, I am stil doing my free-lance dog grooming at home, with approval fr my parents-in-law & hubby. But now I only schedule all the groomings during the weekends, cos my hubby will help with the bathing etc. I even walk to my regulars' houses to fetch, carry and send the dogs back.

Be steadfast in your belief & love for your dog. :wink:

angiebaby

thanks for the support from all the ladies here, i am happy that someone have the same idea with me that dogs and babies can be together and glad to know there are good owners out there as my neighbors, 100% of them, give their dogs away when they pregnant.

i adopted my boy because his ex owner pregnant so they want to give him away, at the moment he arrived my house, i told him he will never need to leave this house, no matter what, worst to worst is sleep outside the door ( when he pee on my bed and pissed me off...lol)

i love my dogs and i start telling them they will have a little sister or brother, well we will know it 6 weeks or later, but we will all live happily together.

last night had a long talk to hubby and he promised he will take over most of the job, except bathing the dogs and he dont know how, guess can ask too much now, i also groom my dogs myself ( 2 schnauzer ) and next year jun we will be happy family of five!

cheers!

vvsecret

I have no problem with my poodle.

She used to sleep on the bed, but after preggy we force her to sleep on the floor beside the bed so she can still stand up n see us.

Eventually my parents n in-law dun allow, so we let her sleep outside the room. However it only happen for a few days cos she will bang the door non stop till we let her in. So back to square one, she sleeps in the same room with us, on the floor.

Everyday since my fourth month, my dog will lie her ears on my tummy, as if she is hearing the bb's heartbeat :001_302::001_302:
Actualli I do believe she knows there's someone in the tummy cos she never do this in the past, but do it everyday now. So sweet right. Hehe

For poopoo wise, it's as per normal, just that I start spraying dethol ard the pee pan once a day. My doggy will only do business during midnight, n we clear it early in the morning.

shoehatme

I nv tot of giving up my dog when I realise I am pregnant. Actually my husband and I plan hav baby right away after our marriage. both of us are a dog lover, so at the same month before we got married, we adopted a abandoned dog and we promised that this wont affect our decision of making bb or give up on dog. Soon after abt 3 mths later, I got pregnant.

Many fren of mine also advise me to give up on my dog since u jus adopted, bonding still not so strong so give up also wont be so sad. As for my Mum, kept nagging... ask me not to carry my dog too often, wait bb looks like her... OMG... lolz..

But somehow, I thinks it a responsiblity. If I intend to keep a dog, i will bring him up, no matter wat... Jus like when u have kid, no matter wat ur kid do wrong, u will nv give up.

Now I am in my week 35 pregnancy, I dun feel that my dog is affecting my health or bb... Instead, I feel happier that all my loved ones are with me...

angiebaby

ya that'5s what i always thinking, it's responsibility, it's a life. wish all dogs will have good owners like ladies here.

winq

hmm.. acutally depend on which kind of dog u keep? cos when my wife just give birth and we had to send our japanese spitz to my mother hse for the time being.. becos she shed alot alot of fur.. daily cleaning of the hse from my maid also cant clear the fur.. :001_302:

I have a King's Charles Spaniel female adopted her a year ago. When I learned that I am pregnant, I actually had wild thoughts that maybe she brought me baby luck!!! I decided she is my wonderful baby and was thinking how to pacify her that she will have a baby brother soon. During my pregnancy, I feel that my dog is worried that I will abandon her again like her previous owners. So throughout my pregnancy, I kept assuring her that I will not abandon her. Unless she run away from me. Unbelievably, my dog seems to understand what I mean.

My baby boy is very naughty, keep wanting to pull my dog's fur. My dog do get jealous these days that everyone's attention is on her baby brother and not her anymore. Other than that, my dog and bb are fine staying together.

Tiggee

I have a Pom and i wont give him up just because im preggy. Although sometime he seriously annoys me as he is still a puppy and totally NOT toilet trained, i still love him. Seeing him happy when i come home and running crazily around when he is just plain bored, makes my mood so much better. And my hubby is supportive and helps to clear his mess as the gynae advices me not to do it anymore.

I used to think think that i couldnt keep my furkid as well, but the gynae say its fine! :001_302: But i sure my furkid cant sense that im preggy as he still attempts to climb all over me! but im pretty sure that my furkid with be alright with baby as he doesnt seem to have an agressive bone in him!

Its just the older generation that is paranoid but all they want is the good for the baby!

Huafen83

Hihi mummies,

I am expecting my boy and now is in 33 weeks... i having a female miniature chiwawa (2yrs old). i also dun intend to send her away as she has been with me since she is 7 mths. cant really bear to send her away as fear that the next owner wont be able to take gd care of her. my hubby got the intention but i stop him.

ya i agree tat dogs have the feel that we are having a new life in us... as i feel tat my dog tends to get closer and wan more attention from mi... juz like a small kid... its fun hafing her around.

BeingSingle

Hihi mummies,

I am expecting my boy and now is in 33 weeks... i having a female miniature chiwawa (2yrs old). i also dun intend to send her away as she has been with me since she is 7 mths. cant really bear to send her away as fear that the next owner wont be able to take gd care of her. my hubby got the intention but i stop him.

ya i agree tat dogs have the feel that we are having a new life in us... as i feel tat my dog tends to get closer and wan more attention from mi... juz like a small kid... its fun hafing her around.
yes! i have 2 poodles, one white and one brown... they sleep with me on the bed and likes to curls between my legs but ever since i got preggie, the brown one juz loves to sleep on my tummy and will lie there quietly as if listening ...and doze off after a while...

they DO know and its sweet!

angel0210

I have a JRT and she is about 5 Yrs old.. I never intend to give her away, just that she used to slp with me and my hubby, but now we only allow her in once in a while as my MIL say not to let dog slp with us too much.

Read that it is better not for pregnant ladies to come in contact with their waste discharge, so now, my hubby will clear their waste and i will feed them. :)

I have a JRT and she is about 5 Yrs old.. I never intend to give her away, just that she used to sleep with me and my hubby, but now we only allow her in once in a while as my mother in law say not to let dog sleep with us too much.

Read that it is better not for pregnant ladies to come in contact with their waste discharge, so now, my hubby will clear their waste and i will feed them. :)
U may consider training yr dog to sleep alone otherwise next time when yr bb arrives n u intend to sleep with yr bb. I only read that pregnant women are to avoid cats waste. I still feed my dog when i was preggie. Otherwise yr dog may suspect u dont love her anymore.

jacole

I was tested toxoplasmasis positive during one of the blood test.
Dr says it's from cats and wild animals.
A lot of ppl got it in their blood and they do not know, it will cause miscarriages and it's deadly to fetuses.
Dr say luckily I got it b4 i got pregnant and now i am immune to it.

If you have pets at home - better to get test for this virus in ur blood