places of suggestion to travel in Australia

melanie3

hi everyone,

i'll be travellling to Melbourne coming October, for about a week. I'm there to visit my brother in-law, and also to travel around.
I dont intend to stay at the same place for the whole week unless there's really too much to do around melbourne itself.
so i'm looking for places of suggestion to go since im there. my daughter is about 13months during that time.

diza

hi everyone,

i'll be travellling to Melbourne coming October, for about a week. I'm there to visit my brother in-law, and also to travel around.
I dont intend to stay at the same place for the whole week unless there's really too much to do around melbourne itself.
so i'm looking for places of suggestion to go since im there. my daughter is about 13months during that time.
Hi melanie3.. last June i went on a self-drive trip to Australia with my husband and our 21-mth-old son... It was a wonderful experience! After travelling around the countryside, we don't really like the city itself.. to be honest, nothing much to do at Melbourne.. More things to do and see at the countryside. Farm stays, steam train rides n etc. For us who live in the city, the countryside is definitely more interesting.

Our itinerary:

Day 1: Arrived Melbourne in the morning, collected my car at the airport and drove to Torquay. Along the way, we stopped at Brimbank Shopping Centre to buy groceries coz we cooked our own meals. You may want to invest in a dual-tier electronic lunchbox. Good to prepare food for ur daughter. There's lots of surfing brands like Quiksilver, Rip Curl, Billabong at affordable prices. Then we headed to Lorne and stayed at The Sandridge Motel. The motel is facing the sea so you'll be able to hear waves. It's very therapeutic.

Day 2: We headed off in the morning and drove along Great Ocean Road. A very beautiful ride and there's plenty of pit stop by the side of the road to take loads of pictures. We visited Gibson Steps, 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and London Bridge. Then we headed to Ballarat and stayed at Best Western Ballarat Suites.

Day 3: We visited Soverign Hill and visited Kryal Castle. We didn't get a chance to go in the castle coz it was closed on weekdays during winter. But we managed to take pictures of the castle. Since we were quite tired after a long ride for the past two days, we didn't really explore the town Ballarat.

Day 4: We checked out and headed to Ballarat Wildlife. The kangaroos roamed freely and my son enjoyed feeding the kangaroos. Then we drove back to Melbourne, returned the car and checked in at Oaks on Lonsdale.

Day 5: In Melbourne, we visited Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne S.E.A. Aquarium, DFO South Wharf and just roamed the city aimlessly. There's a lot of beautiful graffiti around the corners of certain blocks. If you are lucky, you'll be able to catch the artist working. We wanted to go to the Eureka Skydeck but gave it a miss coz our hotel has already given us a good view of the city.

Day 6: We checked out and walked to Fitzroy Gardens. Spend about 2 hours there before heading back to the hotel to collect our luggage and proceeded to the airport.

So that sums up my trip. We will definitely go there again in the future but we will be looking at farm stays and probably visit wineries or fruit farms.

melanie3

Hi melanie3.. last June i went on a self-drive trip to Australia with my husband and our 21-mth-old son... It was a wonderful experience! After travelling around the countryside, we don't really like the city itself.. to be honest, nothing much to do at Melbourne.. More things to do and see at the countryside. Farm stays, steam train rides n etc. For us who live in the city, the countryside is definitely more interesting.

Our itinerary:

Day 1: Arrived Melbourne in the morning, collected my car at the airport and drove to Torquay. Along the way, we stopped at Brimbank Shopping Centre to buy groceries coz we cooked our own meals. You may want to invest in a dual-tier electronic lunchbox. Good to prepare food for ur daughter. There's lots of surfing brands like Quiksilver, Rip Curl, Billabong at affordable prices. Then we headed to Lorne and stayed at The Sandridge Motel. The motel is facing the sea so you'll be able to hear waves. It's very therapeutic.

Day 2: We headed off in the morning and drove along Great Ocean Road. A very beautiful ride and there's plenty of pit stop by the side of the road to take loads of pictures. We visited Gibson Steps, 12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and London Bridge. Then we headed to Ballarat and stayed at Best Western Ballarat Suites.

Day 3: We visited Soverign Hill and visited Kryal Castle. We didn't get a chance to go in the castle coz it was closed on weekdays during winter. But we managed to take pictures of the castle. Since we were quite tired after a long ride for the past two days, we didn't really explore the town Ballarat.

Day 4: We checked out and headed to Ballarat Wildlife. The kangaroos roamed freely and my son enjoyed feeding the kangaroos. Then we drove back to Melbourne, returned the car and checked in at Oaks on Lonsdale.

Day 5: In Melbourne, we visited Queen Victoria Market, Melbourne S.E.A. Aquarium, DFO South Wharf and just roamed the city aimlessly. There's a lot of beautiful graffiti around the corners of certain blocks. If you are lucky, you'll be able to catch the artist working. We wanted to go to the Eureka Skydeck but gave it a miss coz our hotel has already given us a good view of the city.

Day 6: We checked out and walked to Fitzroy Gardens. Spend about 2 hours there before heading back to the hotel to collect our luggage and proceeded to the airport.

So that sums up my trip. We will definitely go there again in the future but we will be looking at farm stays and probably visit wineries or fruit farms.
wow thank you for the detailed reply.
helped a lot!! :notworthy: