Playgroups In Bahasa Melayu.

Hi all,

My husband and I have been looking for preschools that offers Malay language for our 2 year old and sadly we found only 1 in the east. We understand the importance of speaking Bahasa Melayu to our children at a very young age and we have too many Malay-Muslim parents-friends with children struggling with their Malay Language in Primary school because they come from English speaking families.

There are plenty of English playgroups and in every preschool/childcare centre, they offer Mandarin. That means Malay toddlers are exposed to Malay Language only if its spoken at home. That is also if your family speaks proper Malay or Malay at all!

Embarrassingly, my husband and I are not well versed in Malay Language and we are English speakers at home. Because of that we do not wish for our children to grow up not being exposed enough to their Mother Tongue.

Hence we thought of organizing Playgroups in Bahasa Melayu. All activities would be done in proper Bahasa Melayu.

I would like to know whether Malay/Indian Muslim mommies/daddies would be interested to send their child to such playgroups. The teacher we've hired is someone who holds a Diploma in Preschool Teaching, has 6 years experience working in kindergarten as well as cc. Below is a rough programme outline.

Playgroup in Bahasa Melayu
Ages: 2 - 4 years
Duration: 1.5 hour, Once a week
Venue: West & East (Exact Venue To Be Confirmed)
Fees: 15 per child, per lesson, inclusive of materials

Programme Outline:
Music & Movement
Speech & Drama
Expressive Art
Simple Cookery
Reading

Please let me know if you would be keen to join. I welcome suggestions as well. You can email me at maysha.mayya@gmail.com.

Last edited: