Pls help!! 7mth baby real bad constipation

esthergal

Hello mummies,

My baby is having real bad constipation since quite some time ago. There was one time he go 6 days without poo poo and when he finally pooed, it is those very very hard stool. He cries and strain very much and sometimes whole body shiver to push to stool out... i feel pain for him...

My baby started on semi-solid since 6mths. Started with Healthy times brown rice cereal, at that time i think no prob poo poo. Then after that change to barley and also oat, my boy has difficultiy poo-ing... at first i suspect it was the similac stage 2 formula (he's still on breastmilk but only one feed of FM in a day), but i have stopped giving him similac for a few days and he still cries when passing motion, and the stool is hard... sighhh...

I also give my baby fruits everyday (apple, avocado or pear) and sweet potato, sometimes green leafy vege mix into porridge and some water too...

I really don't know what is wrong with my baby's diet that cause him so much discomfort and pain...

Somebody pls help!!

apollo

babe, u can try to gif him diluted prune juice. ds often hav constipation, when he is having it, we will gif prune juice and it wks v fast! sometimes as fast as few hrs only, if not, next day. much more faster than those medi tt pd prescribed =)

esthergal

Hi AugBoyz,
Thanks for your advice. I need to steam the pumpkin first before making it puree right?

Hi Apollo,
Thanks babe for your advice. But how do I make diluted prune juice? Do i buy fresh prunes from supermarkets or buy those ready made jar type? Any particular brand i should look out for?

Mummy to Baby V

My boy is on breastmilk, fresh milk, Healthy Times cereal, porridge and pasta. Steamed pears and peaches help him clear bowels regularly. When fruits are steamed, they are easier for him to eat more. He has vegetables every day too.

Apples may hinder bowel movements, so I give them to him occasionally.

Last edited:

apollo

Hi AugBoyz,
Thanks for your advice. I need to steam the pumpkin first before making it puree right?

Hi Apollo,
Thanks babe for your advice. But how do I make diluted prune juice? Do i buy fresh prunes from supermarkets or buy those ready made jar type? Any particular brand i should look out for?
i bought DelMonte brand. the big bottle ones. usually i dilute it lik 20% prune juice with 80% water =) if ur baby dun lik to drink, u can try my method. cos ds hates it. so we will use a spoon, i feed myself, den feed hubby, den when he sees us drinking, he will wants it. just bluff him to drink ard 30-40ml will do. and few hrs later, or latest next morning u can see the results. but bear in mind, the poo will smell lik PRUNE! :tlaugh:

PinkDiamonds

it may sound a bit disgusting, but if u find ur son straining to poo, u can bring him to the toilet bowl and help him get into position. U can carry him 1 hand supporting his body, the other holding behind the knees so that the body forms an "L" shape. it can help him push the poo out better.

if u have another adult around, can ask them to use the finger to help to "dig" when it's on the way out. this way he doesn't have to strain all the way.

honestly, i dun feed my girl fruits everyday. only greens in her porridge. but i make sure she is well hydrated. so u may wanna ensure he gets more fluids throughout the day.

raeka

can also tried gerber brand those prune if u want.
pumpkin dun eat too much , it can make the skin look yellowish if taken too much.
my boy also suffer constipation, need plently of fruits and veg and some healthy oil like, fish oil that when u cook together with the porridge. salmon and cod fish have oil.
have to keep trying .. slowly. sometime too hard u can also put him to potty he can poo out better.

meiteoh

Hello mummies,

My baby is having real bad constipation since quite some time ago. There was one time he go 6 days without poo poo and when he finally pooed, it is those very very hard stool. He cries and strain very much and sometimes whole body shiver to push to stool out... i feel pain for him...

My baby started on semi-solid since 6mths. Started with Healthy times brown rice cereal, at that time i think no prob poo poo. Then after that change to barley and also oat, my boy has difficultiy poo-ing... at first i suspect it was the similac stage 2 formula (he's still on breastmilk but only one feed of FM in a day), but i have stopped giving him similac for a few days and he still cries when passing motion, and the stool is hard... sighhh...

I also give my baby fruits everyday (apple, avocado or pear) and sweet potato, sometimes green leafy vege mix into porridge and some water too...

I really dont't know what is wrong with my baby's diet that cause him so much discomfort and pain...

Somebody pls help!!
First up, cut back on the rice, apples and sweet potato. Starchy foods can lead to constipation. If possible, don't give any cereals/grain and replace instead with A LOT of pears, plums, peaches, peas or apricots for now. Poo-inducing fruits are usually those starting with P. Prune juice also helps a lot.

Once the constipation clears, keep track of how often your baby poos. Normal bowel movement in babies on solids is the same as with adults - three times a day to once every three days. The longer poo sits in the bowels, the harder it'll become so try not to let your baby NOT poo for more than a day. If possible, feed more fruits and veg instead of cereal OR at least equal amounts of fruits and veg to cereal.

Also, one tip - when you're starting baby on solids, try to rotate between the family/colour groups and especially those poo-inducing OR reducing foods. For example, if one week you intro rice, then next week go for plum and the week after that, sweet potato. That way, if you're caught with an issue like this, you have some back-up fruits that you know your baby isn't allergic to.

Oh, increase the water intake as well.

I feed my daughter fruits and veg every day (at least 2-3 oz - about 8-10 tbsp - per meal) followed by 2-4 tbsp of grains (cereal/porridge)/yogurt/tofu and so far, *touchwood*, she has never had constipation. She poos three times a day though. :p In the beginning, Eva nearly had constipation but me being the paranoid mum, I try to nip it in the bud (will give her plum if she doesn't poo at all by the end of the day) coz I have a friend whose baby is so afraid of constipation that she'll not poo, and that makes it even worse!

Good luck!

Last edited:

ben10

Alpha Male
My baby on Similac poo every 2 days .. sometime 3 days. Changed to Enfalac for newborn to 12 months, daily. But you need to trial & error. If you see your PD, the doc may give you a can for free trial.

esthergal

Hi mummies,

The veges does the trick for my baby!! and i've also stopped similac for him, now his poo poo is so much better!! thanks all dearies for your kind advice! :)