Pls help, I hav lots of questions...

mrs_eg

1. Isit normal for a 4weeks n 5days baby to wake up every 1.5 hrs for feed?

2. How do I know if my milk FLOW is good?

3. Does your baby take your nipple as a soother? How do you break this habit?

4. Do you pump(to store ebm) and latch on? If so, when shld I pump to store enuf ebm for at least one feed? when I pump 1 hr after breastfeeding, the yield is only 30ml for both breasts. Could it be slow milk flow or low milk supply? But my baby poo n pee alot....

5. How do u manage to get enuf rest and take awake at night with total breastfeeding?! There was once I woke in the morning to find my baby curl up in my bed on my lap... The last thing i remembered was breastfeeding her... I must hav dozed off! This is so dangerous. Many will probably say rest in the day w baby, but smtimes it takes 2 hrs for me to coax her to sleep and she is a light sleeper, plus feeding in every 1.5 hrs...... In between i have to do laundry n cook meals... How?? Any suggestions to time manage?

6. When will the baby suppose to sleep longer and feed at longer intervals apart?

Thank u in advance for answering my queries.... :)

diymummy

1) Usually 4 wks 5 days should be able to do 3 hr interval instead of 1.5hr unless it is during growth spurts. More on growth spurts here: kellymom.com :: Growth spurts

2) Your milk flow is good when your child has enough wet diapers a day (6-8 wet heavy diapers) and putting on weight.

3) Babies tend to take your nipple as a soother because it is comfortable when you cuddle. Some people use the pacifier to replace. Some will just give in. I let my son cry it out... He usually gives up in 5 minutes.

4) I pump when my breasts still feel full after a feed. I don't pump in between feeds.

5) I let my son take 1 feed by the bottle. He is fed with EBM. My husband will take that feed while I sleep for a straight 5 hrs. I try to make sure my baby has a full feed before stopping to make sure that he is not hungry and will not cry every hr unless it is during growth spurts.

6) Babies will learn to sleep thru when they are ready.

biscuit

1. Your situation sound very similar with mine. Ds sleep very few and a light sleeper too. Hard to lull him to sleep as well. But as long as weigt gain is ok and bb is happy that should not b worry. Ds weight gain hit 90 percentile at week 9. He is 11 week now,still feed 2hourly. I ever bf him hourly when he was 5-6 week. Just feed on demand and don't look at the clock, they will overgrow it.

Diaper watch as all suggested.

As ds hard to fall asleep, I sometime nurse him to sleep.so I feel he take me as soother. But I read from kellymum site, say all comfort suck can b done from breast instead of pacifier.
And I also duno how to stop him from comfort suck. So just let it be instead of see him frustrated can't fall asleep. I know this not good. Looking fr suggestion from other mummy too.

4. I don't pump but solely latch on. When bb 3-4 weeks i got serious plugged ducts and was consult by Singapore breasrfeeding mothe support group consultant to stop pumping. As pumping create unnecessary over supply. As we are with bb all the time, bb does not need the ebm from bottle. And I find no time to pump cos feeding every 2 hrs then have to lull bb to sleep. No time for pumping, sterilize bottle. Direct feeding is so much easier.

5. Get bb to sleep together with u, side lying feeding works well. I enjoy nite feed than day time. At night bb tends to be sleepy and doZe off after he ha enough( I suppose) then he wakes up after 2hrs fr next feed. I can get my sleep in between. Unlike day time he not so easily sleep.

6. For this question, i also waiting fr ds to stretch longer insted of every 2hrs.... Nowadays if he sleep very soundly, he can drag fr3-3.30hrs between feed. But this don't happen so often.

We are blessed to be able to breast feed our bb. So we should be thankful and keep bf as long as we can!! Kampade mummy.

Thank you in advance for answering my queries.... :)[/QUOTE]

mrs_eg

Thanx diymummy,
I have replied in grey...

1) Usually 4 wks 5 days should be able to do 3 hr interval instead of 1.5hr unless it is during growth spurts. More on growth spurts here: kellymom.com :: Growth spurts

hmmm maybe I do not know how to differentiate between hunger and jus plain wanting to suckle. Cos many a times she can only be calmed by the nipple...

2) Your milk flow is good when your child has enough wet diapers a day (6-8 wet heavy diapers) and putting on weight.

yup she does pees and poops alot. By the way... she poops little by little... 6 out of 8 diapers hav poops in it.. only abt 3 times are major poops... this normal?

3) Babies tend to take your nipple as a soother because it is comfortable when you cuddle. Some people use the pacifier to replace. Some will just give in. I let my son cry it out... He usually gives up in 5 minutes.

my gal can cry until no voice... and still forcing her voice out ... I feel it is not good for her throat so I dun really wana let her cry out... :)

4) I pump when my breasts still feel full after a feed. I dont't pump in between feeds.

5) I let my son take 1 feed by the bottle. He is fed with EBM. My husband will take that feed while I sleep for a straight 5 hours. I try to make sure my baby has a full feed before stopping to make sure that he is not hungry and will not cry every hr unless it is during growth spurts.

hmmm... I normally force her to suckle both breasts... till she has no more interest in taking the nipple... so I suppose she is full... but she still wakes up 1.5hrly........ and definitely not growth spurt... cos from wat I understand growth spurt only last few days... mine has been like tat since day one!

6) Babies will learn to sleep thru when they are ready.

then if one doesnt feed the baby after long hours, won't the milk supply turn low, cos demand=supply?? u sleep 5 hours straight and dun have any problem with milk supply? so when u wake up u latch on then when u still feel full u pump?

mrs_eg

Thanks Biscuit,

I have replied in black...

1. Your situation sound very similar with mine. dear son sleep very few and a light sleeper too. Hard to lull him to sleep as well. But as long as weigt gain is ok and baby is happy that should not b worry. dear son weight gain hit 90 percentile at week 9. He is 11 week now,still feed 2hourly. I ever bf him hourly when he was 5-6 week. Just feed on demand and dont't look at the clock, they will overgrow it.

mine light sleeper because she want to be carried... she can sleep like a log when I carry her... move her arms tickle her... NOTHING will wake her except when I place her down in her crib... somehow she knows.......... yours too??
btw mine 54 percentile means middle range?

Diaper watch as all suggested.

As dear son hard to fall asleep, I sometime nurse him to sleep.so I feel he take me as soother. But I read from kellymum site, say all comfort suck can b done from breast instead of pacifier.
And I also dont know how to stop him from comfort suck. So just let it be instead of see him frustrated can't fall asleep. I know this not good. Looking fr suggestion from other mummy too.

yup I have to nurse my daughter to sleep majority of the time......

4. I dont't pump but solely latch on. When baby 3-4 weeks i got serious plugged ducts and was consult by Singapore breasrfeeding mothe support group consultant to stop pumping. As pumping create unnecessary over supply. As we are with baby all the time, baby does not need the ebm from bottle. And I find no time to pump cos feeding every 2 hours then have to lull baby to sleep. No time for pumping, sterilize bottle. Direct feeding is so much easier.

yup... more convenient to direct latch... but smtimes I wish I can let my hubby take over the feeding by the bottle with EBM so that I can rest longer... no time to even on the computer with 1.5hrly feeeding... lucky now got iPhone... can nurse and keep myself updated and entertained... hahaha

5. Get baby to sleep together with you, side lying feeding works well. I enjoy nite feed than day time. At night baby tends to be sleepy and doZe off after he ha enough( I suppose) then he wakes up after 2hrs fr next feed. I can get my sleep in between. Unlike day time he not so easily sleep.

hmm I can do side feed... im small chested... if lying down my gal cant really latch on properly... hehehe... anyway... it is true she falls right back to sleep during night feeds,... but such close timing... have to burp baby (she really can take very long to burp)... plus diaper change.. before the power nap has its effect I have to wake up again....

6. For this question, i also waiting fr dear son to stretch longer insted of every 2hrs.... Nowadays if he sleep very soundly, he can drag fr3-3.30hrs between feed. But this dont't happen so often.

We are blessed to be able to breast feed our baby. So we should be thankful and keep bf as long as we can!! Kampade mummy.

Yup,.... I will persist on... my only concern with lack of rest is not able to provide milk for the baby tats all.........

diymummy

Replies in purple.

1. Isit normal for a 4weeks n 5days baby to wake up every 1.5 hours for feed?

I think is still ok gua, at 1st my gal drink every 1hr, after few weeks she drink every 2hr, then at her 2nd mth start to drag to 3hr, now 3rd mth is 4hr once. She can sleep a lot.. mayb u can put something light on her chest (eg: green bean pillow) then she will feel more secure n can sleep longer time. She was more comfortable to sleep when u hugging her cox ur temperature make her feel warm, mayb can cover her blanket n or off the fan lo. But if she is type of scare hot one, then on some aircond for her. Sing a song, pat her ass, walk around.. these are way to make my gal sleep. Also, give her pacifier to make our life easier, ha...

As long as ur baby has enough milk, then good. Or she get choked when drinking then mean ur flow is fast and a lot.

Ya, and I was confused whether she is drinking or just wan to suck, Normally I just let her suck till she fall in sleep n let go herself..

4. Do you pump(to store ebm) and latch on? If so, when shld I pump to store enuf ebm for at least one feed? when I pump 1 hr after breastfeeding, the yield is only 30ml for both breasts. Could it be slow milk flow or low milk supply? But my baby poo n pee alot....

I seldom pump at the 1st mth but only pump at 2nd mth cox 3rd mth have to pass to nanny d (I'm PR, only got 2 mths maternity leave). One advantage to pump out and bottle feed is we can know how much our baby can take per drink. But u can do tis when u cannot with ur baby all the time, if u r full time at home mummy, then can direct latch on. I'm not sure whether 30ml after 1hr pump consider lot o not cox I never pump after feed, but since ur baby enough milk, and u still got extra milk to pump out, should be not low supply d gua. I tried to pump after feed be4, nth come out, tat's y I never pump after feed. Pee n poo a lot mean ur bb enough drink lo, is normal if poo lot time but only 3-4times with heavy poo. My gal oso poo bit bit few times and a lot few times per day when she was 1-2mths, at the 3rd mth she started few days poo once, sometime even 1week poo once only. Doc said is normal cox she was taking breastmilk.

5. How do you manage to get enuf rest and take awake at night with total breastfeeding?! There was once I woke in the morning to find my baby curl up in my bed on my lap... The last thing i remembered was breastfeeding her... I must hav dozed off! This is so dangerous. Many will probably say rest in the day w baby, but smtimes it takes 2 hours for me to coax her to sleep and she is a light sleeper, plus feeding in every 1.5 hours...... In between i have to do laundry n cook meals... How?? Any suggestions to time manage?
Huh~~~ I never let myself to fall in sleep while hugging / bf my gal although super sleepy.. I will keep myself alert by thinking, wat if anything happen to her if I fall in sleep bla bla...
at 1st confirm is become panda one la, no choice one lo.. luckily my hub can do laundry for me, so i only need to cook myself for lunch (hub will da bao dinner for me)..

6. When will the baby suppose to sleep longer and feed at longer intervals apart?
Started at 2nd mth will sleep longer n can feed at longer intervals d gua, but depends oso one o, different baby got different pattern lo :p

When I start pump, I pump 3times per day, but found out should pump regularly from this forum, start to pump 4-5hrs, milk keep increasing, no drop.

Thank you in advance for answering my queries.... :)

biscuit

Yaya nursing mum is the most deserved to have long rest if we were given the chance. Thanks to iPhone too. Else everytime I switch on laptop and wait for network connected, my bb wil wake up Liao. Haha if no iPhone we will lost connect with the outside. Other mum can nurse while on computer, I tried but the position just can't get it right.

My bb super hard to burp during 4-5 weeks too. I tried All sorts of method like tick tok clock, let bb sit on my lap then turn him 360' on his waist, carry him upright and slightly shaking him.... All weird methods but sometimes they work. Till lately bb grow bigger he can burp easily after few pat at the back. So u just hang on and ur girl will burp easily and eventually no need to
b burp soon...

aiks, my gal(3mths ++) quite easy to burp, but easy to vomit oso, so nowadays we didnt burp her at all... only burp her at her 1st mth..

l0r3tTa

Let me share my experience..my son is 11 weeks now..

1. Isit normal for a 4weeks n 5days baby to wake up every 1.5 hours for feed?
my boy still feeds every 1.5hrs-2hrs..when he is slpin soundly in the day, i do not wake him up only aft 2hrs. I only feed when i see that he is sticking his tongue out or turning his face to the side like looking for nipple...

try taking fenugreek supplement..i was also worried at one point of time when he is feeding every hr...i think its suppose to help but i cant tell the diff..

my boy usually still suckle when he fall aslp while feeding..i will just tickle him and he will wake up a little to suckle harder..i just let him there till he latch off on his own..

are you gg back to the workforce? i am gg back to work..so i have to teach him to drink from the bottle..and i just started..ccos i realised that he doesnt like to drink from the bottle..the only time i can pump out is the morning like 4/5am aft he feeds and in the night when my husband feed him from the bottle..he is learning what is night already so he slps longer in the night and i wake up cos i am engorged...no matter how tired..still got to pump it out cos its so uncomfortable..
some advice to pump aft every feed if it still feels full..for me i pump only at like 4/5am cos when he is feeding while half asleep, he doesnt drink alot...so i got to pump the rest out and store it for next day bottle feeding..

5. How do you manage to get enuf rest and take awake at night with total breastfeeding?! There was once I woke in the morning to find my baby curl up in my bed on my lap... The last thing i remembered was breastfeeding her... I must hav dozed off! This is so dangerous. Many will probably say rest in the day w baby, but smtimes it takes 2 hours for me to coax her to sleep and she is a light sleeper, plus feeding in every 1.5 hours...... In between i have to do laundry n cook meals... How?? Any suggestions to time manage?
i feed him lying on the side..i also have small chest..but no matter how, he still can latch on well by himself...i just have to adjust my body position for me to feel comfortable..
your body is still gettin use to this cycle..durin the first month, i was also very exhausted...to the extend while burping my son over my shoulders, we both fall aslp and he will slp on my chest...
Do remember that laundry can wait...get your husband to help...i only take milo and some biscuits or cook something the night before..cos there is realy no time to even rest..what more eat right....
slowly you will get the hang of it and manage better...dont stress yourself...but rem to get help if u cant manage...

i guess when babies get older they will slp less, slp longer and feed at longer intervals..hang in there.....

Thank you in advance for answering my queries.... :)
we mummies are giving the best gift to our precious lil ones...so we must jia you tgt...:Dancing_wub::Dancing_tongue:

mrs_eg

Thanx lovely0315 n l0r3tTa,

So i guess everything is jus normal n i jus hav to b patient and wait for my daughter to grow bigger everything will jus fall into place...

Btw any babies make alot of noise during nursing? Noise as in not smacking kind of noise. My baby likes to squirm, twist, n make alot of "mmmph!" kind of sound. Like the kind of sound one wil do when stretching and sometimes she struggles like she has tummy upset... Duno if it is really tummy upset...

Thanx lovely0315 n l0r3tTa,

So i guess everything is just normal n i just hav to b patient and wait for my daughter to grow bigger everything will just fall into place...

Btw any babies make alot of noise during nursing? Noise as in not smacking kind of noise. My baby likes to squirm, twist, n make alot of "mmmph!" kind of sound. Like the kind of sound one wil do when stretching and sometimes she struggles like she has tummy upset... dont know if it is really tummy upset...
yaya, my gal will like tat... my friens always ask, y my gal got so many sound one... ha....

then sometime she keep move here n there till my hub don wan to feed her cox hard to feed, ha....but sometime only la...

gundam00

When my girl squirms and makes unhappy sounds, I'll sit her up and burp her. She'll usually burp very fast and then drink happily again.

floramay

When my girl squirms and makes unhappy sounds, I'll sit her up and burp her. She'll usually burp very fast and then drink happily again.
Hi there,

My son too sometimes will make noises and keep moving around when we are feeding him Mew and my hubby observe and find that it is becoz of two main reasons: it is either he wants to be burp or he wants to poo poo.