Pocket money / Allowance

CynCyn

As above how much pocket money will you give yr child in the future ?

Just a random thought ,
I was thinking if give more $ , they will overspent .
If too little , like very what you know ... Wait not enough etc.

I've seen alot of ppl parents giving them too much money and too little money for them .
A friend of mine was given pocket money of $5 daily even though she's like 19yrs old .

How to survive so little ?

Will u give yr child Toooooooooooo little ??? or tooooooo much ?

Me , I rather give tooooo much then tooooo little .

Last edited:

vion

Hmmm how much is enuff???

Actually if u ask me now, I dun hv an answer tt would suit the economics then. It would depends very much on whether she's still a student or working p/t or watsoever. Depending on whether she's shopping for something or not. I presumed I'll gv an average of $50 per week for sch days n maybe a bit more during holidays if financial permits kekeke

CynCyn

Hmmm how much is enuff???

Actually if u ask me now, I dun hv an answer tt would suit the economics then. It would depends very much on whether she's still a student or working p/t or watsoever. Depending on whether she's shopping for something or not. I presumed I'll gv an average of $50 per week for sch days n maybe a bit more during holidays if financial permits kekeke
Will u give yr child Toooooooooooo little ??? or tooooooo much ?

LoVeS

Me cfm wont gif too much coz i wont wan my ds to turn into sum1 who will anyhow spend $$. When u haf too much $$ human tend to anyhow spend it n tink it is ok to keep getting $$ which turn into spoilt brat.

rjj

I presumed I'll gv an average of $50 per week for sch days n maybe a bit more during holidays if financial permits kekeke

Wow, if the child is only in Pri sch and u give $50 a week, it's like $10 a day? That's a lot!!! Dun u think so?

Pri sch canteen food is normally like 50cts or 60cts. Giving $10 a day, aren't we giving tooooo much??? hehe

But of course if older then also need to increase according to age lor....older, bigger, eat more ma.....

i give enough only for emergency use...like need to buy eraser and pencils or exercise books cos no more etc.

However, I will encourage my daughter to get ready all the things she needs for school and buy the necessities from Popular as it is cheaper with discount.

As for food, I will prepare her lunch box as she is a rather slow eater. By the time she queue for food and eat, think at her second mouth the bell will ring.

So the pocket money is more for emergency use and if not use, will be put into piggy bank and accumulate to buy her own favourite stuff.

LoVeS

Wow, if the child is only in Pri sch and u give $50 a week, it's like $10 a day? That's a lot!!! Dun u think so?

Pri sch canteen food is normally like 50cts or 60cts. Giving $10 a day, aren't we giving tooooo much??? hehe

But of course if older then also need to increase according to age lor....older, bigger, eat more ma.....
Ya i agree $10 per day for pri skool is little too much, even include eating at skool n transport $10 is still alot, alot of kids nowadays duno how to save $$ when they haf xtra $$ left frm allowance.

M

^Mami_Jazz^

to choose between 2 i will choose "little"

during my school time, which was more than 10 yrs ago, i was given $6 in pri & $10 in sec, coz both parents working & i had to settle my lunch outside. This was considered too much in my time, i always hv more $ them my peers, when i wanted to go fast food, they dun hv the $$ to go wif me. In the end i end up paying for them wif my xtra cash so that they can accompany me.

$ comes too easy for me thus i tend to spend imprudently until now which i think is not right.

If given a chance, i want to be brought up in a right way that $$ has to be earned & to be thrifty rather then spendthrift.

Upbringing really affecte me in this case, i dun want my kids to follow my footsteps.

Giving them little, they will treasure it more & spend it wisely anyway it's not too little tat they'll starve

jedamum

to choose between 2 i will choose "little"

during my school time, which was more than 10 yrs ago, i was given $6 in pri & $10 in sec, coz both parents working & i had to settle my lunch outside. This was considered too much in my time, i always hv more $ them my peers, when i wanted to go fast food, they dun hv the $$ to go wif me. In the end i end up paying for them wif my xtra cash so that they can accompany me.

$ comes too easy for me thus i tend to spend imprudently until now which i think is not right.

If given a chance, i want to be brought up in a right way that $$ has to be earned & to be thrifty rather then spendthrift.

Upbringing really affecte me in this case, i dun want my kids to follow my footsteps.

Giving them little, they will treasure it more & spend it wisely anyway it's not too little tat they'll starve
$10 in sec is $10 a week or $10 a day????

i recall i only get 20cents a day during P1 cos we bring food everyday. for secondary, only $1-$1.50 a day. Poly is around $15-20 a week.
for my boy, i probably see how much the canteen food cost, then give about 10-25% extra for him to save and for just in case.

M

^Mami_Jazz^

$10 in sec is $10 a week or $10 a day????

i recall i only get 20cents a day during P1 cos we bring food everyday. for secondary, only $1-$1.50 a day. Poly is around $15-20 a week.
for my boy, i probably see how much the canteen food cost, then give about 10-25% extra for him to save and for just in case.
A day for mi

CynCyn

me oso will give a day $5-$10 .
too little , wait he needs for emergency and wait his classmates or whoever tt is starts comparing tt they have more pocket money . I won't let my DS lose out .

M

^Mami_Jazz^

me oso will give a day $5-$10 .
too little , wait he needs for emergency and wait his classmates or whoever tt is starts comparing tt they have more pocket money . I won't let my DS lose out .
Cyn, comparison is endless...when they go pri sch,
kids will start to compare what car the parents r driving, wat kind of hse they r staying, how many maids they hv etc etc
How if one day u can't gv ur ds the best or the one he wants?
Eat humble pie will not go wrong :tlaugh:

LoVeS

kids will start to compare what car the parents r driving, wat kind of hse they r staying, how many maids they hv etc etc
agree...there's always sum1 better so why compare?

CynCyn

U;ve got a point here .
But at least Im giving him enough , not too little not too much .
As a kid my parents dun give me much either and i'll end up being inferior etc. There's always competition going on , comparison etc. At least I won let my DS feel left out . Doesnt mean giving more then little is not eating humble pie . U know kids this days already like to compare . What will ds feels if give too little then everyone starts to compare etc. But of course I'll definitely give what I can afford .

Last edited:

CynCyn

agree...there's always sum1 better so why compare?
That's bcos there's always comparison going on then the more I will give my DS the best I can give . Bt of cos if I can afford , why not . But also must give a balance amount . I'd rather too much to give then too little to spent .

LoVeS

That's bcos there's always comparison going on then the more I will give my DS the best I can give . Bt of cos if I can afford , why not . But also must give a balance amount . I'd rather too much to give then too little to spent .
tats wat happen between my cousin n aunty. Aunty try to gif him best of wat she can gif but in the end cousin keep wanting the best n better than his own frds but not realising one person should haf self content. human haf the tendency to take things for granted n tink THEY DESERVE IT than EARN IT

CynCyn

tats wat happen between my cousin n aunty. Aunty try to gif him best of wat she can gif but in the end cousin keep wanting the best n better than his own frds but not realising one person should haf self content.
yup tt's y must oso discipline and teach better .

M

^Mami_Jazz^

Ya i wld like my sons to earn for wat they want rather than just i provide everythg for them.

As mentioned earlier, so long the $ is enuf for them to fill their stomach it's enuf, they dun hv to beg for food.

i had more allowance then others during my sch time, tat doesn't make me outstanding or anythg betta ??? i tink most impt is to educate the right values....."everything must win" or "cannot lost" is definitely not in my dictionary :nah: for my kids

LoVeS

Ya i wld like my sons to earn for wat they want rather than just i provide everythg for them.

As mentioned earlier, so long the $ is enuf for them to fill their stomach it's enuf, they dun hv to beg for food.

i had more allowance then others during my sch time, tat doesn't make me outstanding or anythg betta ??? i tink most impt is to educate the right values....."everything must win" or "cannot lost" is definitely not in my dictionary :nah: for my kids
same thinking, "muz win cannot lose" this kind of mentality is not gd~ By giving them more than they need will make them haf the tendency of tt kind of mentality. Bcoz they are spoilt already it hard to change them so end up my poor aunty haf to keep giving them better *sighZ* pity my aunty