Pocket Money

Lady_a

My 1st is in pri 1 right now. He brings to school $2 everyday. Everyday, he will bring home at least $1 back home and keep it in his piggy bank. I have friends who told me, $2 is too much for a primary one. $1 is enough. Reason I gave him $2 is becoz, he can be quite a eater at times. Is it wrong of me to give him $2? How much do you give ur kid their pocket money?

Mine, I give him 1.70...

20cents to make phonecalls in school which he uses only 10cent usually....... oh every recess time he give me a call....

The rest, he will buy food... sometime he eat more sometime he save up..... but... he prefer to use it to play those 20cents machines.. sigh~

-SRI-

Last yr when i still schooling in ITE, i only get $2 frm mum lei...hehehe.. cz we frm poor family....nw i see my cousins in pri sch get $2..max will be $5...if give more, teach them hw to save lor...

bingxu3

i dont even give him a cent so paiseh to say this but, i did apply for the meal coupon from his school and that coupon is 1 dollar so a dollar should be enough and my boy is in primary1.

And i do ask him daily what u eat and he will say milk and egg bread or milk and lo mai kai, so its enough.

if u still worried then go to his school and take down the prices of the food and calculate from there.

Lady_a

Mine, I give him 1.70...

20cents to make phonecalls in school which he uses only 10cent usually....... oh every recess time he give me a call....

The rest, he will buy food... sometime he eat more sometime he save up..... but... he prefer to use it to play those 20cents machines.. sigh~
My son will call me every day when he reach sch and during recess time. And his sch provide a free phone for the students to use. So, I don't have to worry abt making phone calls.

Lady_a

i dont even give him a cent so paiseh to say this but, i did apply for the meal coupon from his school and that coupon is 1 dollar so a dollar should be enough and my boy is in primary1.

And i do ask him daily what u eat and he will say milk and egg bread or milk and lo mai kai, so its enough.

if u still worried then go to his school and take down the prices of the food and calculate from there.
I did. The food prices are frm 60c, 80c & 1.20c. Small, medium, large portion of food. Sometimes when he wanted to buy the large portion, my son is a big eater u see, it will be sold out. So no choice, buy the smaller one and end up buying another bread. But the prob with him is, he's not a big size boy. So many thot that he's a small eater. But actually he eats a lot.

Friend

Mine did not asked for pocket money, as he bring his own snack + water from home. The school is 5 mins walk from home. But, I still give him $2 just in case of emergency since he is Pri 1, now he is in Pri 2 oredi.

When he needs to buy items from the bookshop, he will ask from me if the item cost more than $2 that he has.

I will bank in monthly allowance for him as his saving.

As far as good....

littlegemsinc

i used to give her $3.00, than she starts coming home with new stationery. We decided to cut her allowance to $2.00. Well, she still comes home with new stationery. I guess its the novelty of having financial freedom, and probably she has my shoppoholic genes. Anyway, we told her that she will not be getting anymore allowance if she keeps coming home with new stationery.
So far, it has worked. She still brings a lunchbox and water bottle to school. And out of the $2 we give her, she usually has $1 plus left each day

mamaYouth

I think $1.50 is enough.I used to get $2 a day from primary one-six.End up buying a lot of stationary from school too:)

mosupdate!

My P1 boy gets about 1.50 a day. I actually started off with giving him a dollar but this little one feels the sudden surge of power at the ability to 'dispose' some cash..ha..ha he found out that a dollar was not enough. So I upped his pocket money to 1.50 but at the same time advising him not to spend all his money as he has the tendency to spend some money on stationaries that he does not need.

I am an educator myself and schools are emphasizing the importance of financial literacy in children. That is to say, it is the aim of education to teach values about savings among children. In addition, they are also informed of the difference between needs and wants. The message is transmitted throughout the school years. Thus, I think it would also help to emphasise the same message at home.. ;)

michelle

Hi bingxue,

May i know the requirement to apply for the $1 coupon???
As my gal will be primary one next year.......

-SRI-

I tink on the coupon issue or allowance given by sch.. u shld ask the sch itself... some sch provide such services n some dont..

Like my cousin sch (canberra pri) hv such services.. they even provide breakfast allowance lei...but gt timing.. so gd hor.........

maMaSan

Mine too at P1 gets $1.70 - 20cents for tithing to church, the rest he's supposed to use wisely. We expect some savings at the end of each day to put either in his piggy bank or the love loaf (for donation to the poor). So far, so good ;P

akiva

Re: Pocket Money - How to encourage saving

i give S$1 to my Pri 4 gal on normal day and additional of $1 for CCA day ... i fill the container every Sunday night. it has 6 little compartments ...i labelled them - MONDAY to FRIDAY and the last one is SAVING. I told her that I will multiply her saving by twice when school end in mid Nov and she was able to save $20 plus last time ... she used them to buy her favourite books.

EnFlor

That is a great idea akiva. I'll try with that when my son enters P1 next year. Really like the 'top-up' scheme at the end of the year.....just like govt baby bonus yah, Certainly will motivate them to spend lesser on unnecessary things.