Porridge for BB

Mushlet

Hi,

I'm a first time mummy and need some help here. I had made potato and carrot porridge for my little boy (8.5 mths) w/o salt and soya sauce, and the taste was really very bland. I myself felt uneatable, not to mention my boy who ate a few spoons and felt uninterested to the food.

How can i make the porridge taste better?
Is there any other ingredients i can use to cook porridge for him? (For fish, do you marinate it to remove the fishy smell?)

jcyp86

you can put some ikan billis to boil the soup base .. before cooking porridge ... alternate way which i use i put those ikan billis brown rice powder to make make the flavour.

for the fish, steam with ginger . when it is cook, throw away the water... minced the fish to bite size. then cook together with the porridge again.

zozorro

Fish shdnt smell/taste too fishy when it's really fresh so just make sure you buy good fish. For me, I cook the plain porridge with a slice of ginger. When porridge is abt ready, I'll minced the fish (+ whatever leafy veggie) and add into the porridge and cook a another 2-3mins. The porridge shd taste full of fish sweetness!

You can also cook your porridge with dry scallop for flavor or put ikan bilis into those individual small tea filter envelope and drop it into the water when cooking porridge.

Iseetol

Apart from ikan bilis, u can also make soup base using pork, chicken, or fish bone. Simplest soup is Potato, carrot, onion plus pork bone soup. You can slowly intro other soup to him using different ingredients. Using soup to boil the porridge will make it tastier. No need soy sauce or salt.

lyra

We r used to flavourings so we find it bland but baby won't think so. Be patient n once baby gets used to eating, he'll eat more :)
I use red dates n organic sweet corns to boil the soup base for porridge so that it taste naturally sweet. U can try too!

dinida

I remembered last time I bought a lower grade ikan bilis (so it still has bones and the black thingy there), so I had to remove it manually, after which i wash the ikan bilis, let it dry and then blend it to powder form. I would prepare this ikan bilis powder once every month. So when i cook porridge, i would add it in...it makes the porridge nicer ..yummy.!
My simple recipe would be abit of the ikan bilis powder, minced chicken(if your baby can already accept texture) and broccolli or spinach :001_302: