Possible to increase milk supply once supply established?

henny

Hi
Read that our milk supply is supposed to be established by week 6-8. Is it still possible to increase milk supply once supply is supposedly established? My baby is now 12-week old.

camom

Yes but it takes a lot of perseverance. You'll have to latch and latch + pump to boost your supply. All the other milk boosting foods like milo, oats, fish soup, etc might help too.

caroline

Hi
Read that our milk supply is supposed to be established by week 6-8. Is it still possible to increase milk supply once supply is supposedly established? My baby is now 12-week old.
My colleague drank ALOT of water throughout the day, she had a huge 1 L tumbler she refills couple of times a day and her milk supply was excessive to the point that she could donate to her sister's babies.
I took the herb fenugreek when i was breastfeeding but did not see any increase...
So, drink lots of fluid will surely help.

adelynn

yes, but it takes alot of 'work' - i did power pumps and drank lotsa water and had fish soup every day for lunch to up my supply so that i can match my girl's demand

henny

yes, but it takes alot of 'work' - i did power pumps and drank lotsa water and had fish soup every day for lunch to up my supply so that i can match my girl's demand
Hi adelynn

:err: how do u do power pumps?

thanks

adelynn

Hi adelynn

:err: how do you do power pumps?

thanks
quoted from another forum/mummy:

YOu just need to do this for 2 days - after that do 1-2 times a day on day 3 & 5 for maintenance & repeat the 2 days system again maybe before you go back to work.

4-5 times a day power pump

Pump 20 mins
rest 10 mins
Pump 10 mins
rest 10 mins
Pump 10 mins
rest 10 mins
Pump 10 mins
total 60 mins

this gives u 10 mins inbetween to tend to your baby change her or carry her/him. (roughly la - +/- few mins is ok for this system just do it 4-5 times a day.

For single pump users - its abit more tedious but i have come up with a system for you as well

Pump 15.mins (Right)
Pump 15mins (Left)
Pump 7mins (Right)
Pump 7mins (Left)
Pump 7mins (Right)
Pump 7mins (Left)
total 58 mins (approx)

while u pump one side the other side is resting - single pump users really have to be tied down whole nearly 1 hr lor. But i developed this just for those who dont plan to buy another pump since they have already bot one.

just 2 days of this system - most will see significant milk supply increased - but still pump 15-20 mins every 2-3 hrs after that as usual - really up to your lifestyle & your urgency to upp your supply.

BABY IS THE BEST PUMP.

hazellwm

quoted from another forum/mummy:

YOu just need to do this for 2 days - after that do 1-2 times a day on day 3 & 5 for maintenance & repeat the 2 days system again maybe before you go back to work.

4-5 times a day power pump

Pump 20 mins
rest 10 mins
Pump 10 mins
rest 10 mins
Pump 10 mins
rest 10 mins
Pump 10 mins
total 60 mins

this gives you 10 mins inbetween to tend to your baby change her or carry her/him. (roughly - +/- few mins is ok for this system just do it 4-5 times a day.

For single pump users - its abit more tedious but i have come up with a system for you as well

Pump 15.mins (Right)
Pump 15mins (Left)
Pump 7mins (Right)
Pump 7mins (Left)
Pump 7mins (Right)
Pump 7mins (Left)
total 58 mins (approx)

while you pump one side the other side is resting - single pump users really have to be tied down whole nearly 1 hr . But i developed this just for those who dont plan to buy another pump since they have already bot one.

just 2 days of this system - most will see significant milk supply increased - but still pump 15-20 mins every 2-3 hours after that as usual - really up to your lifestyle & your urgency to upp your supply.

BABY IS THE BEST PUMP.
hi..

i was thinkin of bf my baby again.. do you think this method would boost up my supply again?

my bb is 10 wks old now

allycat

Should be able to since there'll be demand. But you cant supplement with FM in order to build the supply. Jia You!!

adelynn

my guess is yes. i struggled for the first few weeks after my girl's birth cuz of low demand. so i just latch & latch and pump & pump. somehow i had enough and afterthat had excess to store before i return to work.

cmeilim

my guess is yes. i struggled for the first few weeks after my girl's birth cuz of low demand. so i just latch & latch and pump & pump. somehow i had enough and afterthat had excess to store before i return to work.

well done, mummy adelyn! tks for sharing on how you power-pump.

cmeilim

Should be able to since there'll be demand. But you cant supplement with FM in order to build the supply. Jia You!!

yes, agree with allycat. if u try to give your FM to fill her up thinking that your supply is low and can't meet her demand, you would have just started a downward spiral of decreasing demand and supply, bcos your baby, having being filled up with FM, would have less demand for your breastmilk, and so your body will naturally produce less breastmilk. a hungry baby is actually very good for helping mummy increase her milk supply! =>