Pregnancy Eczema

BearyPoisonq

Hi, do anyone of you experience pregnancy eczema?

Currently in my week 10, almost my whole body was covered with red itchy spots. At first they only appeared on my legs. Then came the elbows, arms, belly, thighs, buttocks, back and most recently my hands. I have tried eating itch medicine, applying aloe vera and moisturizer constantly but they can only last me 1.5hrs before the terrible itch came back. I have seen a skin doctor in week 9 as I couldn't stand the itchiness anymore since week 7. He told me it is pregnancy eczema. There was nothing much medicine I can take.

I felt extremely terrible. I don't mind having the red spots but not the itch. At least I can cover up with long sleeves and pants. I'm very worried that my 10 mth old girl will indirectly eat those cream that I apply. I don't have this problem when I was having my girl. T_T

cn211279

Hi dear,

I'm facing the same problem as you. The rash started around week 8 and it just spreads. I find the itch really unbearable at night when I'm trying to sleep and it kind of affected my sleep as well.
The doctor also said that it is caused by the hormones and there's nothing much he can do except give me some antihistamine. Sigh.....
I find that scratching makes it worse so I try not to.... and cold compress works. There was once I was desperate and got my husband to apply XO on my rashes, it helped to soothe it for a while.
BTW, this is my 2nd pregnancy and I didn't have this when I had my first either..

BearyPoisonq

Hi dear,

I'm facing the same problem as you. The rash started around week 8 and it just spreads. I find the itch really unbearable at night when I'm trying to sleep and it kind of affected my sleep as well.
The doctor also said that it is caused by the hormones and there's nothing much he can do except give me some antihistamine. Sigh.....
I find that scratching makes it worse so I try not to.... and cold compress works. There was once I was desperate and got my husband to apply XO on my rashes, it helped to soothe it for a while.
BTW, this is my 2nd pregnancy and I didn't have this when I had my first either..
Hi, all the oral medications seem useless. Cold compress works but I can't put them all over my body. i'm going mad with the itchiness and it affects my work as I need to wash my hands very frequently. :(

cn211279

I totally sympathize with you! U want to try alcohol (XO, Brandy etc...) I use that and I find that it helps a bit... i think the alcohol is both cooling and disinfect bah....

feathers

Alcohol dry out the skin so technically it will make things worse. But if it works, maybe can check with gynae if it's ok?

I had that too but after religiously applying moisturisers like QV cream and using a gentle shower oil, it got better. I try to restrict myself to taking the meds only when I really really couldn't take it anymore, I checked online and the meds are not totally safe for our babies, infact most meds ain't. Mine started around week 11 and it only stop being itchy slightly after week 16. I'm just thankful it stopped.

Try skipping crab and prawns, it didn't has effect on my ezcema previously but during pregnancy it seems to make things itchier. Dairy sometimes also affect our skin but it doesn't for me so I continue to take it.

For mommies with ezcema and worry about having our babies suffer the same fate, can try taking more probiotics. My gynae told me that my baby will definitely carry my ezcema genes but probiotics can help prevent it from flaring up in my baby. Hopefully she need not suffer an itchy childhood like I did. =)

xiaodaisy

I totally sympathize with you! U want to try alcohol (XO, Brandy etc...) I use that and I find that it helps a bit... i think the alcohol is both cooling and disinfect bah....
directly apply or dilute with water? will it be too spicy feel for the skin?

i tried some medicated oil personally , cos i scare alcohol will too painful spicy feel

but mine got better after 1 wk like tat ..

BearyPoisonq

Thanks all for your replies. Didn't try the alcohol methods as none of my family members drink that. I can't be buying a bottle of brandy and start applying bah.. The skin doc asked me to use baby lotions and baby shower lotions as they are milder. I tried but it's not so effective. I will get some QV wash kind to try as what feathers said. And hopefull the itch will disappear SOON.

cn211279

I apply direct. It is actually quite cooling. It only stings on those parts where I have scratched until I broke skin. It's true that alcohol can be drying on the skin. So I normally moisturize after bath, then apply XO before I sleep to prevent the itch.... Like you said I try not to take any meds cos it is just not really good and I find that it's not that effective other than the fact that it makes me sleepy and hence I sleep rather than scratch at night.
Sigh.... sometimes find that it is so troublesome to be pregnant because I have bad sinus and headache on top of all these rashes and MS but have to avoid medication which will make me feel better but not good for the baby... Can't wait for first trimester to be over...

xiaodaisy

I apply direct. It is actually quite cooling. It only stings on those parts where I have scratched until I broke skin. It's true that alcohol can be drying on the skin. So I normally moisturize after bath, then apply XO before I sleep to prevent the itch.... Like you said I try not to take any meds cos it is just not really good and I find that it's not that effective other than the fact that it makes me sleepy and hence I sleep rather than scratch at night.
Sigh.... sometimes find that it is so troublesome to be pregnant because I have bad sinus and headache on top of all these rashes and MS but have to avoid medication which will make me feel better but not good for the baby... Can't wait for first trimester to be over...
pregnancy can be such a headache sometimes

after first trimester over and u reached 2nd trim , u face another row of problems that will surface on 2nd trim .. LOL

wen finally 2nd trim over , 3rd trim coming and also 3rd trim's problems also coming .. haha

xiaodaisy

after first trimester over and u reached 2nd trim , u face another row of problems that will surface on 2nd trim .. LOL

wen finally 2nd trim over , 3rd trim coming and also 3rd trim's problems also coming .. haha

feathers

I agreeeeee!!! I no longer feel itchy now but the braxton hicks is uncomfortable as well and also the legs get tired more easily. 3rd tri is confirm worse...
Just like 1st tri worry about upcoming Oscar scan, 2nd tri worry about detail scan, 3rd tri worry about labour, after that worry about baby everyday!
But having said that, it'll be all worth it. ^-^

felicity

i'm having this problem right now! my neck, chest, armpits and inner elbows are scratched till red and sore and rough... =( and it doesn't help that the weather is so hot and i keep perspiring!

mosqeetoh

yupp the weather makes the itch worse! I had rashes on my underarms at wk 20+, itched like mad and turned really red. My gynea didnt encourage me to apply any creams, so i just kept them clean and dry at all times, it's not much of a bother now.

felicity

i keep lifting up my arms and scratching my underarms all day and night! :( and my inner elbows are all red and bumpy now...

felicity

Hi all,

You may experience eczema during pregnant, it is likely due to most common variety, atopic eczema, is hereditary and probably triggered by exposure to enviornment allergens. If atopic eczema is the cause, it may because of your history of asthma hay fever or food allergy. What you can do is to consult a GP/doctor, if it is safe, he will give you certain topical steroids. Steroids come in all strengths. They range from very weak to strong and prescription-only creams. Strong creams should only be used for a week or two. Steroid creams are safer for you than steroid tablets (prednisolone). Tablets are usually issued as last resort.

Apply steroid creams to treat patches of eczema you already have.

When you do wash, you could use bath or shower emollients instead of soap. Emollients will help to protect your skin. You can get them on prescription, while you're pregnant, from your GP. Aqueous cream is a cheap emollient that is often prescribed for eczema, but is best avoided as it contains detergents that may irritate your skin. Then moisturise, moisturise, moisturise and try not to scratch!

Antihistamines may help you cope with itchiness — but again, be sure to check with your practitioner first.

I hope above will help you.
thanks for sharing!!

mine are getting from bad to worse!! my neck is so badly scratched that it hurts when i perspire or bathe, and i perspire the whole day! i scratch my armpits and inner arms until all turn dark and rough... with painful red patches. i have them on my scalp and my breasts too!!! when i'm outside sometimes the itch is so intolerable that i had to put my hand into my bra and scratch. unsightly but i need relief! :(

felicity

Hi felicity,

I am glad able to share with you the correct method when having eczema. I can understand how intolerable the itch is, but as mentioned before, please do not scratch them, as it will worsen the affected areas. Best to consult a GP on this for an "eczema cream" usually in form of steroids. Depend on the degree of eczema, they will issue you different range of eczema cream. If the itch is intolerable, I suggest you can take a quick bath or rinse at areas affecting with clean water. By doing so, it can relief you alittle.

I hope you will recover soon. :wesmile:
thanks! :)

sigh it's really intolerable!! i hv high threshold for pain, but v low for itch! will try try try to curb my scratching... just had some med that will cause drowsiness, hope can knock me out so i can sleep well tonight...

Anonymous

Im only 5 weeks. I got red itchy patches before i knew i was preg. Its will get lil itchy n when i give a gentle scratch on my skin it float out like a mosquito bite and get more itch that can last on n off for 1 to 2 weeks. Now i have my black marks patches on my hands n legs.