Pregnancy superstitions and myths

imadad

Let's discuss the different beliefs related to pregnancy. May not be the supernatural sort, but stuff like what can eat or cannot eat.

To start off, let me introduce myself. I'm a doting husband and father of 1. My wife is pregnant with our 2nd, due on Christmas Eve. I love my family and try to a supportive as possible. But sometimes superstitions can drive me crazy. Especially those without logic. As a Chinese, these are some that I have to deal with.

1. No cutting of nails on the bed. Applies to both husband and wife

2. Expectant mother cannot hold knives or scissors. - what if she's a chef or hairstylist by profession?

3. No renovation of the house. Not even drilling or hammering. Interesting story. My uncle did renovation to his house when his wife was pregnant. My cousin was born with a hole in her heart. Heard many other such old wives tales too

4. no watching of movies with scary faces. Not even X-men or spiderman. Not sure what's the outcome. I guess will have ugly babies?

5. No eating of squid or octopus. Umbilical cord will wrap around the baby's neck

6. No eating of pineapple, winter melon, radish and other 'cooling' vegetables. Will miscarry or have a weak womb.

7. no eating of crabs. Baby will be hyperactive - I guess coz he'll scurry around like a crab?

8. No spicy food. Baby will have a fiery temper

9. Cannot go to hospitals (aside from gynae visits) and cannot attend funerals. From what I know from watching Chinese horror in the 90s, lost souls will jump into the unborn child so they can be reincarnated. Rather morbid.

10. Cannot carry heavy objects. - OK I can understand this belief, coz over exertion can cause miscarriage. But I believe this sometimes can't be avoided. What if she has an older toddler that likes to be carried?

I'm sure there's more, especially from other cultures. Let me know what u guys have to deal with, and if u think they should be followed, regardless of practicality.

Mama26

I heard from the elderly when u see people who don't look present, you cannot laugh at them or say ah yo, why so ugly.
And cannot kill insects too, like killing any innocent creatures you see in the house.
For those who have yet to know the gender of the baby, they said if u have increased in desire for food that you like previously is normally boy. Whereas the food you like previously and u dislike during pregnant is girl.
M
dont know how true is it.

imadad

My wife's first pregnancy never really crave or dislike any food. Came out a boy. This pregnancy we don't know the gender yet, but 1st trimester sensitive to alot of foods. Cannot eat vegetables or white rice, which she used to like. Let you know in a couple of months if boy or girl. Haha

Joeychen85

Opps.. i jus watch spiderman .. when my #1 , i didnt have any craving and it cmes out to b a boy .. Same to #2 ( current ) , but not sure bout d gender yet too.. during my #1 i even watch twlight . But my boy born to b a pretty boy . And during my #1 when i dunno im pregnant , i even reno my bto . Although my boy have a patch of birth mark on his butt . I tin is jus a believe . No matter wat as long as they r healthy , no matter girl or boy . Im fine wif it .

haha i went to watch Ironman i think abt 1 week before my girl was born.. haha I only cover tummy with a jacket in attempt to muffle the noise.. hehe but i think movies that will have shocking scenes.. better to avoid else mummy get a scare may trigger early labour??

and i quite believe in the cooling food one.. because supposedly if womb is too cold, we wont be able to conceive easily as well.. so when pregnant.. i believe to reduce the intake of those foods (moderation is impt lah) coz I also take herbal tea sometimes else i get heaty easily..

it is also said that pregnant women should not attend weddings else snatch the blessings of the bride i think!!

Haha dont think abt it liao la.. Godzilla quite cute mah.. heroic!!
For wedding i think affects bride more than baby bah.. anyway no worries bah.. normally i think only some elders dont like..

Win Won

Hi there, I'm new here!

As I was spotting in my first trimester, I was put to strict bed rest. However while in bed, I still do some writing, and even use correction fluid.
Old wives tales mention no cutting and sewing on bed when pregnant. I'm now very worried with the use of correction fluid on bed which will cause some defects to baby.

Can anyone advise me what to do?

Win Won

Hi iamdad,

7. no eating of crabs. …this is quite true as I notice in problem with my little nieces and nephews whom mothers don't restraint.

8. No spicy food. …actually since pregnant i continue to like and crave for spicy food. i have been eating laska, curry… we shall see later if baby is fiery. haaa

Poppui

Hi i don't restraint my self for eating crab, as a result my baby like to pinch and active not really hyperactive.
My mom objected me to go to hospital, funeral, visit new born be coz she said it was a bad luck for the expectant mother

zaclin29

Cannot paint your house when the pregger in the house..
If need to paint, pregger must leave home until painting is done.
Otherwise your baby will have birthmark.

This actually happened to me.
Although I left the house when the room was being painted, they were still doing touch ups. Since it was already late and I didn't want to be outside at night (which is another pantang), I just stayed in the house till they completed it.
And my baby has a few small birthmarks on her hands.
Coincidence?

This is a very helpful thread! Thanks imadad! <3 Will be consolidating all of your inputs and make it an article... Your usernames will all be included! <3

nana2014

Cannot paint your house when the pregger in the house..
If need to paint, pregger must leave home until painting is done.
Otherwise your baby will have birthmark.

This actually happened to me.
Although I left the house when the room was being painted, they were still doing touch ups. Since it was already late and I didn't want to be outside at night (which is another pantang), I just stayed in the house till they completed it.
And my baby has a few small birthmarks on her hands.
Coincidence?
Hi, many thanks for sharing these.
Was thinking of painting the room for the baby.
Think to be safe, will wait for the baby to be born first. :tbounce:

nana2014

Read before somewhere that do not bring clothing for your baby when you check in for your admission for Delivery. It is a myth that if you bring it along with you when you go for delivery, your baby will be admitted. Get your hubby to bring the set of clothes when you and baby are discharging. :weconfused::weconfused:

Win Won

Hi nana2014, talking act baby's clothes…i was advised to purchase all baby's stuff only in 3rd trimester too.

lafonte

when i was pregnant with #1 i had quite a lot of crabs and my son turns out to be really active. my grandparents would say it's because i ate crab but are there toddlers who are not active?