Problem for 4 months old baby

littlerat

My baby is at 4 months plus liao but everyday daytime, he eat very little, only 2 round of 100ml FM. Then at night he will wake up very often of almost every 2 hours to feed on BM (because not enough BM so have to keep for the night so that not too tiring to wake up to make FM). I have read articles saying that at this age, babies should be able to sleep through the night or at most wake up once without eating.

It's very tiring and is affecting my daily life in the daytime because I can only catch some sleep only then with my mum helping taking care of the baby.

Anyone got advise on this?

autumn82

My baby is at 4 months plus liao but everyday daytime, he eat very little, only 2 round of 100ml FM. Then at night he will wake up very often of almost every 2 hours to feed on BM (because not enough BM so have to keep for the night so that not too tiring to wake up to make FM). I have read articles saying that at this age, babies should be able to sleep through the night or at most wake up once without eating.

It's very tiring and is affecting my daily life in the daytime because I can only catch some sleep only then with my mum helping taking care of the baby.

Anyone got advise on this?
200ml during the day for a 4mth old bb is considered quite little. Seems like there's a confusion between day and nite for him.. It would be best to feed him full in the day, so he can sleep well in the nite and means more rest for u.. How abt bfing him in the day? and FM in the nite?

littlerat

200ml during the day for a 4mth old bb is considered quite little. Seems like there's a confusion between day and nite for him.. It would be best to feed him full in the day, so he can sleep well in the nite and means more rest for u.. How abt bfing him in the day? and FM in the nite?
Yeah ... I also find it too little ... however the problem is he does feel hungry in the day at all. When we try to feed him he will reject the FM or on BM, he will suckle a while and start playing oreadi ... There is no way I can feed him if he doesn't want to drink.

I thought that he should be accustom to day and nite at this age oreadi. I got not enough BM so he is also not full even if I feed him. And we find it tiring to wake up in the middle of the night to make FM for him ... hee hee ... easier by just throw him the BM to suckle.

Have been like that for several weeks liao ... when will it come to an end ....
Haizzz

cherishbebe

Is your baby behaving this way since birth?
why not trying to feed him bm in the day, fm in the night?

maybe he need a quiet or dark room to drink the milk?

autumn82

Yeah ... I also find it too little ... however the problem is he does feel hungry in the day at all. When we try to feed him he will reject the FM or on BM, he will suckle a while and start playing oreadi ... There is no way I can feed him if he doesn't want to drink.

I thought that he should be accustom to day and nite at this age oreadi. I got not enough BM so he is also not full even if I feed him. And we find it tiring to wake up in the middle of the night to make FM for him ... hee hee ... easier by just throw him the BM to suckle.

Have been like that for several weeks liao ... when will it come to an end ....
Haizzz
Try to reduce the nite feeds or lengthen the nite feeds interval. Try to make effort to make FM so he doesn't have to suckle whole nite mah... :tlaugh: By rite, he shld have know day and nite time wor.. Erm.. Jus to share, my DS at 4mths oredi drinking 5 feeds of 150ml-180ml from 6.30am to 6.30pm @ 3hrly interval. He doesn't have nite feeds anymore also...

Slowly try and adjust yr ds feeding schedule... :001_302:

Queenbabe

Every baby have diff pattern , lastime my DD drink very little also . Now my DS 4mth gng 5mth drink 210ml not enough 3-4hr .

littlerat

Is your baby behaving this way since birth?
why not trying to feed him bm in the day, fm in the night?

maybe he need a quiet or dark room to drink the milk?
No no ... all the while he was ok ... dun even have confusion of day and night since 2 weeks onwards ... but problem start comes in when he is around 4 months old.

Since so many ppl are recommend me to switch fm for the night ... will try on that tonight and see if it improves. Actually my DD prefer BM than FM and always had trouble feeding him in bottle.

Let's see how ... thanks everyone who had shared your experience :001_302:

autumn82

No no ... all the while he was ok ... dun even have confusion of day and night since 2 weeks onwards ... but problem start comes in when he is around 4 months old.

Since so many ppl are recommend me to switch fm for the night ... will try on that tonight and see if it improves. Actually my DD prefer BM than FM and always had trouble feeding him in bottle.

Let's see how ... thanks everyone who had shared your experience :001_302:
Of coz she likes BM.. Coz she noe how good it is mah! :tlaugh:Btw, since u say just started only, maybe is just passing phrase? Jus see how things goes... Jiayou ba~ :)

BiBiMummy

Sorry you mean ur DS goint to 4months is drinking more than 125ml of milk?...My ger ger drank onli 125ml at 3-4hrs interval and she is 5months old now...

littlerat

Sorry you mean ur DS goint to 4months is drinking more than 125ml of milk?...My ger ger drank onli 125ml at 3-4hrs interval and she is 5months old now...
every time he is drinking only at most 120ml for an interval of 3-4 hours in the day time .... night time on BM then is even shorter ...

CDL

You might want to try training your baby to distinguish between day and night by doing the following :-

1. It the last night feed is 10pm, draw the curtains or turn off the light or lower the lights (darken the room). If you use a mosquito net at night, make sure that it covers the cot;
2. If your baby cries for a feed, give him a pacifier instead. He will probably suck for a while and then throw it away and cry. Keep putting the pacifier back and resisting the urge to feed him. This will train him that he will not have a feed during the few hours at night ( you decide how long you want him to sleep at night). Eventually, he will not need the pacifier at night but will ensure that he gets enough to drink through the day. There will be one-off days when he still cries, probably if he didn;t drink enough that day or his feeding was affected. If that happens, you can make an exception and feed him. FM will probably keep him filled forlonger and therefore give you better sleep;
3. in the morning of when you want yoru baby to wake, make it a point to turn on the lights or draw back the curtains to teach him that it is morning and he should be awake.

Important to be consistent with what you do to put him to sleep at night and what you do to wake him in the mornings. The times that he sleeps and wakes up should also be consistent but do give some allowances for babies to get used to the routine.

I have been trying to train my 3mth old daughter to sleep by 10pm and wake by 6am. To do this, I make sure that after her 6pm feed, I play with her, bring her for walks, read to her and in short, keep her from sleeping until her last feed at 10pm. Seems to help.

Let us know how your son fares.

littlerat

You might want to try training your baby to distinguish between day and night by doing the following :-

1. It the last night feed is 10pm, draw the curtains or turn off the light or lower the lights (darken the room). If you use a mosquito net at night, make sure that it covers the cot;
2. If your baby cries for a feed, give him a pacifier instead. He will probably suck for a while and then throw it away and cry. Keep putting the pacifier back and resisting the urge to feed him. This will train him that he will not have a feed during the few hours at night ( you decide how long you want him to sleep at night). Eventually, he will not need the pacifier at night but will ensure that he gets enough to drink through the day. There will be one-off days when he still cries, probably if he didn;t drink enough that day or his feeding was affected. If that happens, you can make an exception and feed him. FM will probably keep him filled forlonger and therefore give you better sleep;
3. in the morning of when you want yoru baby to wake, make it a point to turn on the lights or draw back the curtains to teach him that it is morning and he should be awake.

Important to be consistent with what you do to put him to sleep at night and what you do to wake him in the mornings. The times that he sleeps and wakes up should also be consistent but do give some allowances for babies to get used to the routine.

I have been trying to train my 3mth old daughter to sleep by 10pm and wake by 6am. To do this, I make sure that after her 6pm feed, I play with her, bring her for walks, read to her and in short, keep her from sleeping until her last feed at 10pm. Seems to help.

Let us know how your son fares.
Thank you very much ...
Appreciate your advise ...
Problem is he doesn't want pacifier .. or I should say he may not get use to it yet ... whenever I gave it to him, he will just spit it out ...
Nonetheless, I also think that he is still confused btw day and night and it worth a try to train him to do that.