Problem sleeping at night

Mushlet

Hi mummies,

My son is currently 2 mths +, each time we brought him out to neighbourhood shopping center or friend's house, on that particular night he had a hard time sleeping. He will scream and cry non-stop and hard to calm down. After he sleep for about 1-2 hrs, he will wake up crying again.

ast0212

Could be over-stimulated. Maybe when you get home try to get him ready for bed by lowering or using a soft night light instead of bright lights, turn off any sounds from tv or radio. Try not to talk or interact with him much as this will stimulate him more. The quietness and dim lights help wind them down.

Or what a lot of my friends do - they simply don't go out close to baby's sleep time. I don't find it practical all the time but I guess it helps if you really want bub to sleep especially in the early months :)

lyra

When I bring baby out, I try to have some sleeping time for him in the pram with the cover closed and a cloth nappy to cover it so that its dim. When I push the pram around, baby likes the movement and falls asleep. This helps him take naps in the day, reduce stimulation and thus, will be less cranky at night. HTH :)

MamaPo

I am also facing this situation, so fast the only time I brought my baby out was for the doc's appts
and once back to in-laws for her to pay respect to ancestors.
And each time after that she will be upset or uncomfortable at night and cannot get to sleep.
Another time was the night after her 1st month's party.
I had to carry her in my arms until 4:30 in the morning.

Mushlet

Hi MamaPo,

after reading mummies ast0212 and lyra's comment, knowing my son's behavior is due to over stimulation/lack of sleep. After which, I let my son nap more, now he no longer cranky at night.

Hope this help :)

MamaPo

Hi Mushlet,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Just last night we were at my in-laws and had a family gathering.
A lot of relatives were seeing my baby for the first time so she was 'passed' around a lot.
There were also many children running around playing and screaming.

When we got home, I tried to dim the lights as much as I could, stop talking to her and as she was asleep,
I put the whole car seat on our bed just not to wake her up.
But it was almost her feeding time and she woke up for her milk.
And that was it, she only settled and went back to sleep at 530 am just now.

I guess maybe it's the first time I tried these methods, hope it won't be that bad the next time.
I think it might have been too traumatic for my baby at the family gathering.
But I will keep trying.

mommysnake

My son sometime have a hard time sleeping during bedtime..he is turning 5months soon.

I usually massage him with ruyi oil (maybe colic), sing him some lullaby, rock him gently and it works for him.:)

Most of the time, he just need some comfort sucking after bfeeding and he sleep soundly for 4-5hrs.