problematic....

babysparkz

dear mummies...

i have just given birth...
baby girl she is 1 week old today..
however..
(1) she dont seems to burp after milk...she only hiccup..is it ok?
(2) is aircon at 27 ok? she sneezes like..4 time last night..
(3) she is perpetually hungry..drinks like 90ml of milk each feed..however her feeding time is irregular..as she jus slp and refuse to drink..wad must i do..?
(4) how many clothes is consider enough to keep her warm? i wore 2 with 1 hugger outside and her blanket..but she still sneeze...

=( it is really not easy to be first mum...:embarrassed:

hi babysparkz, congratulations on the arrival of your little bundle of joy!!

(1) as for burping, my ds was also like that. he doesn't burp because he is sleepy. sometimes he doesn't burp but if the gas builds up in his tummy he will start to cry then i will manage to burp him. but i'll always try my best to burp him before i put him down. sometimes i can spend as long as 5-10 min patting his back just to get him to burp.

(2) 27 should be ok. my ds sleeps in aircon 26 degrees. my ds also sneezed a lot but PD said that it's just his reflexes. try to clean your baby's room so that it's generallt dust free. my ds will get stuffy nose if the room gets too dusty.

(3) wow... 90ml is a lot of a newborn. i put my baby on routine after his first week. ie, first week was feed on demand and after 1st week i feed him every 3 hrs. i calculate how much to feed using a formula my PD suggested.
for lower limit, take baby's weight multiply by 150ml divide by # of feeds a day
for upper limit, take baby's weight multiply by 200ml divide by # of feeds a day
that's the range to guide you so that you're not over feeding or under feeding your baby. this formula is only applicable when baby is on all milk diet.

(4) you should keep your baby warm but don't make her so warm that she perspires. if she perspires in the air con room, the chances of her catching a cold is higher. just like if we went jogging and then entered an air con room, we could catch a cold more easily. to test if your baby is cold, you can feel her feet. if her feet are cold, she is cold. if her feet are warm, she's ok... sneezing is reflex reaction to the new world she's in. my ds also shivers but he's really not cold. but if your baby's nose is running, then chances are, she is cold.

hope this helps. you're doing a great job! don't fret. :)

1568mummy

fret not girl...
*huge hugs*
ok, one question at a time....

Though it is best for her to 'remove' the air in the tummy, still there are babies who just don't, especially for breastfed babies. My boys don't too at times. Hiccups are perfectly ok. Even though it seems a little annoying to the adults, the baby have no problem with it. No harm is done.

errr.... can't comment on this. cos' I do not have air-con at home.

(3) she is perpetually hungry..drinks like 90ml of milk each feed..however her feeding time is irregular..as she just sleep and refuse to drink..what must i do..?
*giggle* That is a great sign! Babies lifestyle is drink on demand. Give when they need and not fret about it. They KNOW when they are hungry... so if you are breastfeeding... she may appear hungry even more...

(4) how many clothes is consider enough to keep her warm? i wore 2 with 1 hugger outside and her blanket..but she still sneeze...
Sometimes, you'll be surprise that her sneezing may not necessary be due to temperature. It may be the dust around her.... remover any soft-toys if there is. Going in and out of the air-con room creates sudden change in temperature, hence for her sensitive nose, that may have caused her to sneeze too.....

babysparkz

hi babysparkz, congratulations on the arrival of your little bundle of joy!!

(1) as for burping, my dear son was also like that. he doesn't burp because he is sleepy. sometimes he doesn't burp but if the gas builds up in his tummy he will start to cry then i will manage to burp him. but i'll always try my best to burp him before i put him down. sometimes i can spend as long as 5-10 min patting his back just to get him to burp.

(2) 27 should be ok. my dear son sleeps in aircon 26 degrees. my dear son also sneezed a lot but pediatrician said that it's just his reflexes. try to clean your baby's room so that it's generallt dust free. my dear son will get stuffy nose if the room gets too dusty.

(3) wow... 90ml is a lot of a newborn. i put my baby on routine after his first week. ie, first week was feed on demand and after 1st week i feed him every 3 hours. i calculate how much to feed using a formula my pediatrician suggested.
for lower limit, take baby's weight multiply by 150ml divide by # of feeds a day
for upper limit, take baby's weight multiply by 200ml divide by # of feeds a day
that's the range to guide you so that you're not over feeding or under feeding your baby. this formula is only applicable when baby is on all milk diet.

(4) you should keep your baby warm but dont't make her so warm that she perspires. if she perspires in the air con room, the chances of her catching a cold is higher. just like if we went jogging and then entered an air con room, we could catch a cold more easily. to test if your baby is cold, you can feel her feet. if her feet are cold, she is cold. if her feet are warm, she's ok... sneezing is reflex reaction to the new world she's in. my dear son also shivers but he's really not cold. but if your baby's nose is running, then chances are, she is cold.

hope this helps. you're doing a great job! dont't fret. :)

but what is upper limit and lower limit..?
on demand means as and when he wants u will feed right..? but 1 time baby will drink 90ml like tht ...

thanks so much...yup it did!

babysparkz

fret not girl...
*huge hugs*
ok, one question at a time....

Though it is best for her to 'remove' the air in the tummy, still there are babies who just dont't, especially for breastfed babies. My boys dont't too at times. Hiccups are perfectly ok. Even though it seems a little annoying to the adults, the baby have no problem with it. No harm is done.

errr.... can't comment on this. cos' I do not have air-con at home.

(3) she is perpetually hungry..drinks like 90ml of milk each feed..however her feeding time is irregular..as she just sleep and refuse to drink..what must i do..?
*giggle* That is a great sign! Babies lifestyle is drink on demand. Give when they need and not fret about it. They KNOW when they are hungry... so if you are breastfeeding... she may appear hungry even more...

Sometimes, you'll be surprise that her sneezing may not necessary be due to temperature. It may be the dust around her.... remover any soft-toys if there is. Going in and out of the air-con room creates sudden change in temperature, hence for her sensitive nose, that may have caused her to sneeze too.....

thanks so much
i was really worrying because i tried searching online and i cant get the answer.
indeed i have been wrapping her too much
thanks u!

but what is upper limit and lower limit..?
on demand means as and when he wants you will feed right..? but 1 time baby will drink 90ml like tht ...

thanks so much...yup it did!
the formula can only be used if you know how many feeds your baby is feeding a day. after my baby's 1st week, i put my baby on routine, ie, 8 feeds every 3 hours. at that time my baby was abt 2.6kg so:

lower limit = (2.6kg x 150ml)/8 = 49ml per feed
upper limit = (2.6kg x 200ml)/8 = 65ml per feed

or

lower limit = 2.6kg x 150ml = 390ml per day
upper limit = 2.6kg x 200ml = 520ml per day

if you're feeding below the lower limit, you are underfeeding and your baby might not be able to gain weight properly. if overfeeding, your baby might become overweight. in between, will be just nice

my baby didn't drink a lot of milk at one go except when he was having a growth spurt. your baby at 7-10 days might experience a growth spurt and will suddenly be drinking a lot. the next growth spurt will be at around 1 mth old.

uddermummy

babe, don't worry so much when bb sneezes.

bbs, esp, nbs, sneeze a lot, and not always because they are cold.

They sneeze when startled, when exposed to bright lights etc etc. They tend to sneeze a lot cos their air passages are small and their breathing system is still getting used to being out of mummy's womb.

My bb only sleeps in air con room, and I just let her wear long pants and short sleeves. Sometimes when it's cold, i'll let her wear socks as well.

The thing about air con is that it makes your bb's skin dry, so you might want to moisturise more often.

don't overheat your bb by wearing too many layers, cos your bb might get a "fake" fever, and overheat increases the likelihood of sudden infant death syndrome.

chelle

CONGRATS!
My son used to be like that, very difficult to burp especially when he is asleep.
But my habit is to at least let him sit and try to burp for at least 15 min.
If after 15 mins he still have not burp then i will let him lie down.

My boy also sleep in aircon, 27 shld b fine, i believe this is the tempertaure at hospital too. I read somewhere that baby sneezing is their natural way of clearing their air passage.
Whenever i see "pi sai" deep in my BB nose, i keep urging him to "AH Choo" to sneeze it out. Haa

Try not to wrap ur BB too warm, PD say will lead to "low grade" fever, so dress ur BB accordingly to how u will dress yourself in that environment plus another layer. Maybe a blanket so they feel secure.

Have fun with ur BB and dun worry too much!

babysparkz

orh thanks mummies~

now got another thing!

she is having this lil pimples growing everywhere...very sparingly...
but the PD say is ok
is it really ok?

and her nappy rashes are jus not getting better... =(
im using the secura extra protective cream
and also this destini given from mount A
i tried using nappy liners already
all these stil not getting better
from her day 2 til now...
any adviceS?
and i change her pampers/liner like every hour..

PinkDiamonds

Little pimples I think it's baby acne?

My girl also never burp. Can sit there & burp her for 15 minutes but still no sound. So we place her on her tummy, and still cannot work. She hiccup a lot, and we thought something wrong. Hahaha.

At the beginning can be quite frustrating cause you are slowly trying to understand your baby. My girl can change nappy after nappy after nappy.

Hang in there, can be very tiring. But it will get better!

1568mummy

orh thanks mummies~

now got another thing!

she is having this lil pimples growing everywhere...very sparingly...
but the pediatrician say is ok
is it really ok?

Both my boys have them. My elder one's are bigger. My younger one's are smaller but ALOT, in fact they became blackheads later on!!!! *faint*
I can even show you the photo if you want.
Yes its ok, just keep them clean.
Wash with water.
Do not wipe with tissue or with the same handkerchief. Once the handkerchief is used, washed it.

and her nappy rashes are just not getting better... =(
im using the secura extra protective cream
and also this destini given from mount A
i tried using nappy liners already
all these stil not getting better
from her day 2 til now...
any adviceS?
and i change her pampers/liner like every hour..
When its really bad, I suggest go for cloth nappy.
Yes, it would tiring, but its still the most effective method I've seen so far..
After bath, air the bum for 10mins before wrapping up again.