Pumping moms!

adelynn

allycat: nope, take bus to work. So my bag's pretty HUGE & heavy. on some days when my shoulders can't take e weight i leave my laptop in the office

Jonevieve

Hi all,

Do u all store the milk in office's refrigerator or the freezer?

If store in freezer, does it means that we have to go straight home immediately after work in order for the milk not to be thawed? Cos milk that is thawed has to be consumed within 24hrs. Thus, does it means that I should freeze it only after I reached home?

Will cooler bag helps to keep the milk in freezed stage if I am to stay outside for 2 or 3 hrs before reaching home?

ohstrawberry

I do this quit often, cause baby don't stay with me.
I will freeze the EBM in office freezer, accumulate 1-2days supply, then transfer all to my mum's hse by cooler bag but i very kiasu, beside the 2 thin ice bricks that come with the Pigeon Fridge-to-go cooler bag, i buy 2 more small ice gel bricks from Daiso to put in the bag, so it's very cold in it, the EBM will not defrost within 1-2hrs. Upon reaching mum's hse, will faster put in freezer again. The EBM normally will be consumed within a month.

Hi all,

Do you all store the milk in office's refrigerator or the freezer?

If store in freezer, does it means that we have to go straight home immediately after work in order for the milk not to be thawed? Cos milk that is thawed has to be consumed within 24hrs. Thus, does it means that I should freeze it only after I reached home?

Will cooler bag helps to keep the milk in freezed stage if I am to stay outside for 2 or 3 hours before reaching home?

cmeilim

Hi all,

Do you all store the milk in office's refrigerator or the freezer?

Will cooler bag helps to keep the milk in freezed stage if I am to stay outside for 2 or 3 hours before reaching home?

i don't freeze in office, just chill them in the fridge cos the EBM pumped from mon to thu is for the next day's feeds. as for fri's EBM, i will still chill them only and bring home to freeze to avoid thawing prematurely. i will usually be home 2-3 hrs after work, at most. i use 2 blocks of daiso ice.

jean1986

I bought the cooler bag n additional freezing panels too n it can last quite long abt 6-hrs.

btw, I used to wake up on the middle of the night to pump, but now that I've started work I'm really tired n unable to wake up. thus,btwn 11pm-7am 8hrs of non-pumping. any mummies know if it'll affect supply?

cmeilim

I bought the cooler bag n additional freezing panels too n it can last quite long about 6-hours.

btw, I used to wake up on the middle of the night to pump, but now that I've started work I'm really tired n unable to wake up. thus,btwn 11pm-7am 8hrs of non-pumping. any mummies know if it'll affect supply?

from my experience with skipping the nite pump a few times, i know it definitely will affect supply. so i will still wake up to pump nowadays.

camom

I don't freeze immediately. I will chill it in the fridge. Only freeze the excess at home.

diymummy

I'm using the Avent manual pump at office. I have a big tupperware to store it. After each pump, I will wash it with baby detergent then rinse my set with hot water in the tupperware. I store my milk in milkbags. I don't freeze, I chill then transfer to my Avent cooler bag that has ice packs to keep the milk cool to bring home or to the infant care. That's coz I know my milk will be consumed within 24hrs.

Jean, for the Avent manual pump, sometimes when I want better suction, I will forgo using the gel padding at the funnel. It's not so comfy but it gives me better suction and faster letdown.

meiteoh

I don't freeze as well - will chill instead. I have two ice packs plus Avent cooler gel packs but am thinking of buying more ice packs now since the bag that came with my out-and-about set can fit in Eva's breakfast/lunch plus three bottles of milk with some room to spare! :)

As for milk supply being affected, it depends. I latch Eva on at 530am every morning and I'm always full - her last feed used to be 1130pm but since last week, she refuse to nurse so I'll pump that feed out; quite handy if I need extras to send over to the babysitter. :p

jean1986

i didnt pump the whole night last night, and it seems that i have blocked ducts now. just started work and pumped outside seems so stressful!

cmeilim

i didnt pump the whole night last night, and it seems that i have blocked ducts now. just started work and pumped outside seems so stressful!

don't be stressed! stress will reduce BM supply. give yourself a bit of time to settle back into work and get used to the pumping routine. those of us who are pumping at work also 'karang-kabo-ed' when we first resumed full-time work. do try to pump in the middle of the nite as well, to avoid blocked ducts and reduced BM supply. breastfeeding moms gotta be hardworking moms. =)

jia you jia you. you are not alone and we are all cheering you on here! :Dancing_wub:

meiteoh

Don't stress yourself out ya? It'll take a while to adjust to a new schedule...even I can foresee that things will be nutty when I start work next month. :p