Queries on 1 month old baby

Hi all!

I have a 1 month old baby and am confused about some things :wideeyed:.. Hope someone can give me some advice...

1) Is it ok to give my baby pacifier when he cries? Sometimes he cries very loudly until his whole face turns red.. The doc says that he has wind in his stomach and has given him colic wind drops.

2) His FM intake is about 120ml / 6 times a day.. Is it ok? Do we have to stick closely to the recommended serving? The recommended serving indicated on the FM bottle is 5 times a day (Nestle Nan)..

3) He likes to sleep in the daytime and wakes up frequently at night. Has anyone encountered this with their babies? How do we adjust the timing whereby he will sleep more at night?

apollo

Hi all!

I have a 1 month old baby and am confused about some things :wideeyed:.. Hope someone can give me some advice...

1) Is it ok to give my baby pacifier when he cries? Sometimes he cries very loudly until his whole face turns red.. The doc says that he has wind in his stomach and has given him colic wind drops.

It is okay to give pacifier. Some parents dont want to give cause they scare baby will get used to pacifier (which is quite true), we only gave ds pacifier when he was going to slp. If his cries is due to colic, I think pacifier does not helps. Just feed him med regularly cause ridwind takes sometimes to show effect.

2) His FM intake is about 120ml / 6 times a day.. Is it ok? Do we have to stick closely to the recommended serving? The recommended serving indicated on the FM bottle is 5 times a day (Nestle Nan)..

Dont have to follow strictly on what is written on the tin, just follow the ratio of powder and water will do. As for the frequency and how much to give each time, depends on individual baby. Some drink more while some drink lesser. If your baby wants to drink more, no point letting him keep crying just because you think he had had enough, same thing, if he cant finish the 'recommended' amount, no point forcing him to drink. =)

3) He likes to sleep in the daytime and wakes up frequently at night. Has anyone encountered this with their babies? How do we adjust the timing whereby he will sleep more at night?

This is normal. usually they will slowly change their sleeping pattern when they are older, like 2-3 mths old. At this point of time, I think you shd just leave it. When he wakes up at night, dont play with him, dont talk to him unless he cry for milk, if not just let him self entertain and as time goes by they will slowly know that night time is for sleeping.
My replies are in red. hope that helps =)

Mummy to Baby V

1. Only breastfeeding mums are discouraged from offering pacifier in early weeks. More latching = more supply. Otherwise, it's ok to offer pacifier before bedtime if baby needs it. Personally, I won't offer pacifier when baby is wide awake and just fussing. Will try other means to soothe him. E.g. White noise such as hairdryer sound

Wind in stomach is common for babies. My boy was very gassy but I avoided giving him medicine. Instead, gave him tummy massage through the day to help him pass gas, and back massage to help him burp. Letting him face down and "fly" him like an aeroplane works too. You can read more ideas at AskDrSears.com.

3. Babies need time to adapt to day and night. In the day, I try to avoid letting baby take too long naps by trying to wake him after 2 hours. Then feed, clean up, have a conversation, etc. Then let him sleep again. Still, he was typically fussy from 2-6am, crying a lot, possibly due to gassiness. From about 3+ months old, then finally sorted out a nap and bedtime routine.

All the best! :)

Apollo / Mummy to Baby very - Thanks for the advice..

I was worried whether I would be overfeeding my baby.. But, I guess it should be ok as he would stop when he is full.. Will use his reaction as a gauge to whether the serving is enough..

We have recently celebrated our baby's full month birthday.. Hopefully his sleep pattern can be sorted out in 1 or 2 month's time..

Paulynntanpl

Hi all!

Hi Sleepybear,

Hope things have improved by now. Decided to share with you my experience because our babies seems really similar!

If your baby is willing to take a pacifier, by all means give it to him. Mine will spit it out real soon. If you are breastfeeding, pacifier is not advise for at least the first 2 weeks of their life as they may have nipple confusion. Otherwise, if the pacifier soothes him, give it to him. Only advise is, do not stinge on the price of the pacifier. Have to make sure u see that it is orthodontist safe or approved. Pacifier is said to cause future dental problems, ear infection and even speech impairment. Having said all these, our parents gave us pacifier when we were babies and most of us turn out okay too. Just do not buy those pacifier that are not of familiar brands, safety first.

As for FM intake, feed on demand, just like breastfeeding. My baby has cluster feeding habit the minute he was born and the only thing he wants when he cries is usually milk. You just have to observe and don't force him to finish the entire 120ml during a feed if he does not want to. Adjust the amount of formula accordingly. I know the milk cans say how much milk to give according to progress but different babies have different need. Also your PD will be able to advise you if you are feeding baby too much. Make sure he is wetting about 6 - 8 diapers a day at least and the stools are consistent (yellow to yellowish green, watery to pasty texture) If he misses poo for a day, is fine but if he has blood in his stools or stools too hard then that's no good and should see a PD soon. Slowly, your baby will be out of his growth spurt and his milk intake will even out.

As for sleeping pattern, it will eventually change as they understand day and night better but just to share with you what we did: our baby tend to nap better in daytime and end up getting very cranky in night time. I cannot explain to you how much goggling I did during this 2 months of his life. Basically do not let him sleep too much during the day. No matter what, wake him up after a 2 or 3 hour nap in the day. Keep him awake as much as possible. For us, we will try to keep him awake for an hour after every feed and let him nap perhaps 45 mins to an hour. Also during the day time, do not silent or tiptoe when he is asleep, keep all the day time noises like TV, or conversation at NORMAL level. At night, just before you start his night time sleep, make sure u dim the room, just keep a nightlight on. Keep noises to a minimal either to just white noise or lullabies. When you do your night feedings, DO NOT play with him even if he smiles at you. Just feed, burp, cuddle a lil if necessary and let him go to sleep again. Eventually they will get the idea. As for sleeping more, depends on what your more means. 5 to 6 hours is considered very good for babies but if your baby usually wakes up every hour, then at least a 2 hour or 3 hour will be improvement. Jia you! I am pretty exhausted everyday too but it helps to know that our baby is otherwise healthy, thriving and happy.

Hi Paulynntanpl,

Thanks for sharing your experience..

As I am staying together with my in-laws, and my mother in law is not working, the 2 of us usually takes care of the baby during the daytime.. Our views of baby sleeping pattern are slightly different..

For me, I would usually want to talk to the baby and play with him after his feed.. And when he wakes up during his sleep and is alert, I would talk to him (without rocking him).. If he falls back to sleep, then so be it.. But for his night feed, I would rock him to sleep after burping him, hoping that this would assist him in differentiating day and night..

For my mother in law, she would usually put the baby in the rocking chair after burping him, and rock him to sleep.. When he wakes up, she will also want to rock him back to sleep.. Her view is that after his bath and afternoon feed, he should be sleeping for at least 3 hours in a stretch...

My concern is that if he sleeps too much in the day, he would not want to sleep at night.. But her view is that if he is not well-rested in the day, he would not sleep at night..

Sigh.... :tsad:

Paulynntanpl

Hi Paulynntanpl,

Thanks for sharing your experience..

As I am staying together with my in-laws, and my mother in law is not working, the 2 of us usually takes care of the baby during the daytime.. Our views of baby sleeping pattern are slightly different..

For me, I would usually want to talk to the baby and play with him after his feed.. And when he wakes up during his sleep and is alert, I would talk to him (without rocking him).. If he falls back to sleep, then so be it.. But for his night feed, I would rock him to sleep after burping him, hoping that this would assist him in differentiating day and night..

For my mother in law, she would usually put the baby in the rocking chair after burping him, and rock him to sleep.. When he wakes up, she will also want to rock him back to sleep.. Her view is that after his bath and afternoon feed, he should be sleeping for at least 3 hours in a stretch...

My concern is that if he sleeps too much in the day, he would not want to sleep at night.. But her view is that if he is not well-rested in the day, he would not sleep at night..

Sigh.... :tsad:
I can understand your frustration but since you have been obeying her method you shud try and tell her perhaps we try to let him nap lesser in the day. Granted her theory is not wrong but if baby has been napping in and out during the day, 3 hour stretch or more is too much at a go. He will find himself wide awake and alert when it comes to evening. Then u will have hard time settling him. Also try to feed baby a little more at the feed just before his dozes off for the night, he may zzz a lil longer.

I can understand your frustration but since you have been obeying her method you shud try and tell her perhaps we try to let him nap lesser in the day. Granted her theory is not wrong but if baby has been napping in and out during the day, 3 hour stretch or more is too much at a go. He will find himself wide awake and alert when it comes to evening. Then you will have hard time settling him. Also try to feed baby a little more at the feed just before his dozes off for the night, he may zzz a lil longer.
Noted.. Will try to feed him a little more in the evening when he gets better.. He has been having a cough since last week, and is having a mild diarrhoea these 2 days.. His pediatrician said that his cough is due to runny nose and has given him medication.. We have not seen his pediatrician for his diarrhoea, as he asked us to monitor it 1st..

Keeping fingers crossed that the little one will get well soon... :wefrown:

Mummy to Baby V

Both you and your MIL are right: well-rested baby in day sleeps better at night. As opposed to overtired baby who would be cranky and find it hard to fall asleep at bedtime or even naptime. Yet too long naps can interfere with night-time sleep.

Ideally, have a series of well spaced out naps that are 1.5-2.5 hours long. 3 hours is ok for the first morning nap, if baby wakes up really early. After each nap, engage baby in interactive and independent play, then tune down for next nap. Usually, I keep the last nap of the day shorter, max 1.5 hours.