questions on direct latch...

andieluv2

Hi to all mummies out there. I have several question on my mind...

My baby is 10wks old and recently had juz.converted her from partial breast feeding to total BF. its a long tiring process but i managed to do it! my supply is pretty low.. Before i latch her, i am doing full expression 4hrly with average of 90-100mls per session. Then i decided to give direct latching a go. Usually latch for at least 30mins.sometimes 15 each, sometimes 30mins 1side. but my baby gave me sore nipples. So seen a LC and she.said that baby is latching correctly. said that my supply is abit low as i should be able to.express more than 700mls by now. But i am still abit short. So she advise me to keep.latching and pump. So i did that.

After i.latch.on.my right for 30 mins, i went ti pump and realised that my left side has decrease amt expressed. abt 10-20mls.lesser. But i didnt feed.on that sose. Why is that so?!

and usually my right will give me abt 50-60 mls per session but after feeding only left like 20 after express. So.does it mean my baby only took 30mls?! or this 20 is just the residual amt?!

sorry.if.its a stupid question. But am juz worried tht she didnt have enough. But we are monitoring her urine output. So.far clear and oki amt.

Thankz in advance for all ur advice.

soapsoap

Pump will alway be lesser than wat ur bb able to latch. Is ur bb falling asleep during the 30 min? Try to wake ur bb up don let her get to comfortable and sleep on ur breast if not it will become a habbit

andieluv2

soapsoap:684754 said:
Pump will alway be lesser than wat ur bb able to latch. Is ur bb falling asleep during the 30 min? Try to wake ur bb up don let her get to comfortable and sleep on ur breast if not it will become a habbit
She does sometimes but i will wake.her up. Its towards the end of 30 mins then she sleep. Before o.latch her i pump 90-100 per 4hrs but.now even whn i dun latch her and i pump its only 60 thats coming out iys been 2 days having it decreased liao. Dun know wat happened. Haiz. Dun know izit related to my sore nipple.

lyra

If baby output is ok, then its fine. Don't pump out to measure how much she takes coz u'll stress urself unneccessarily and of course, its an inaccurate measure. I've gone through this when my baby was a newborn and he looked like he really didn't drink much but he did and his weight gain was great, always on the higher percentile, although he don't look as chubby and big as formula fed bottle fed babies. That's good enough for me. Don't want him to drink more than its necessary too as bottle fed babies can sometimes drink more than they really need.

I was very kiasu and I latch and pump for every feed. I also kept a log book of how long baby fed on each side of the breasts. Looking back, I think I shouldn't do that. If I had to experience it all over again, I will just feed on demand and keep myself stress free. Just look at whether output it good. The LC also told me I should feed 30min but my baby didn't feed 30min and kept forcing him onto my breasts! It happens that my flow was pretty fast and in 10min, he's full already. When I pumped out, I can get lots of milk out fast and I got engorged easily, so that's a sign of fast milk flow. I didn't know about it then and got so stressed up about insisting on baby feeding 30min. Some babies however, hung on to the breasts for 1hr coz milk flow is slower. So the 30min each side rule is just a guideline. Trust baby and don't be over vigilant on following this rule!

soapsoap

Dear sore nipple of cos will have lesser output. The sore nipple could be a sign that u over pump, are u pumping every 3 hour now?? Think u can pump 4 or 5 hour since u are latching bb or if u full latch u can even don pump if don feel full. Try to get ur bb to bottle feed once per day now if u are going back to work if not bb might reject bottle, once per day is enough

biscuit

Glad for u that u have made the switch from partial BF to total BF.It is not easy and need alot of effort & persistence. Good job mama.
I agree with lyra. Breastfeeding should not add stress to mother. i used to did like Iyra and was so stress to maintain and watch my supply... i should have be more relax for the past 1 year...

If your bb urine output is good and weight gain is normal, don't worry about the numbers of ml u pump. After you latch your bb, it is normal that the pump output become less. your output of average 90-100ml is quite good. i believe your bb will get more from latching than the amount u pump.

we cant really measure how much bb get from the breast. And pumping amount does not equal to your total supply. =)

So, stay relax and dont put additional stress for your self. You are doing great already. Kampade !!/

andieluv2

Thankz all mummies for all ur reply. Think the added stress comes from my mum and husband. Everytime i latch, after awhile if baby cry or unable to slp they will say its bcoz she didnt drink enough and wants to to feed again despite having latched for 30 mins, 15mins on each side.

So now i pump out every 4hrs for 30 mins using medela PISA. Manage to get 90-100ml each session. Think i am too into looking at the mls of my ebm and giving myself alot of stress. trying bery hard to match up with what baby is drinking. Plus all that tiredness from pumping. Not having enough slp and all. Guess maybe all these are causing my flow to stay stagnant.

I still latch her abt once to twice a day.to stimulate the flow and pump after latching. I will give her ebm in the day and 1 meal of.formula for her night feed as bb rooms in with my mum and making formula is easier and faster for her in the middle of the night.

She looking forward to convert her fully on bm. And will still work hard towards it. Initially i tot i will give up after 1 month but now am approaching 3 months liao. Time flies indeed.

YUKIYOYO

How to know if bb is hungry or just want to suck for comfort? Bb just keep moving his mouth but once he's latch on, suck for a few minutes then he fall asleep. Do u wait till bb cry then latch on?

biscuit

How to know if baby is hungry or just want to suck for comfort? baby just keep moving his mouth but once he's latch on, suck for a few minutes then he fall asleep. Do you wait till baby cry then latch on?
For myself,when my bb is stil young, I also not sure when he is comfort suckin or hungry. But with kiasu spirit, I just allow him to b on the breas as n when he wants. Afterall breastfeeding is not merely about food, it is also about comfort that bb get from mummy, they feel secure n warm :) since i am not sure how much he gets from breast n i m not sure he is full a not, so just latch him Anytime anywhere :)

some mama may not agree with let bb comfort suck. Think this is different sku of tots. Of coz they will have own reason to the disagreement to comfort suck.
It is thankful that we have bf over 2 years now and if let me choose again, I will still go for latching on demand no matter it's comfort suck or not.

Just little sharing, when my boy had bad fell that needed stitching on his chin, it is bf that comfort all his pain. And many times i hav seen the magic of direct latch ^^ haha so don't care so much, just latch on !! =D

andieluv2

Now i will latch her whn we go out. Bcoz its easier.. I dun need to bring pump and she.dun need to bring frozen bm out. Whn she hungry i will juz latch. Somehow it works whn we go out. She suck and doesnt.seem hungry. Can tahan 2-3hrs. But at hm cannot. 1hr hungry liao.. I oso dun know why...

felicity

My friend shared this with me so just to share w everyone: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing/

lyra

How to know if bb is hungry or just want to suck for comfort? Bb just keep moving his mouth but once he's latch on, suck for a few minutes then he fall asleep. Do u wait till bb cry then latch on?
Yukiyoyo, we never know whether he's hungry or want to suck for comfort but in the early months, just let baby suck and suck. If he sleeps, its because its so warm and nice at your breast when you cuddle him and nursing releases a hormones to make him (and you) sleepy. Regarding your question on whether I wait until baby cry then latch on, last time, I latch on every 2/3 hours to make sure he get enough milk and don't wait until he cry coz that's when he's very frustrated, so latch on when he starts to turn his head and look for a nipple.

Now i will latch her whn we go out. Bcoz its easier.. I dun need to bring pump and she.dun need to bring frozen bm out. Whn she hungry i will juz latch. Somehow it works whn we go out. She suck and doesnt.seem hungry. Can tahan 2-3hrs. But at hm cannot. 1hr hungry liao.. I oso dun know why...
I think maybe outside, she's distracted by the lights and sounds so she's not so interested in milk but at home, there's nothing much to distract her, so she remembers she wants milk? That happens for my baby.

felicity

My bb cries nonstop for milk.. So I've been latching nonstop.. So tired until latch one time cry one (or more) time.. Today 8 till now she hasn't even slept. Or rather, slept while latched on, then 5 min later wake up cries for milk again. Swaddling, change diapers, pacifier, carrying, rocking, singing, combination of those, all no use. Once latched she keeps quiet and suckle.. N the cycle continues.. So tiring... :( anyone has similar experience? How u cope?

Jesskoo

Hi all, my milk supply not much bb is onli 6 days old but drink 60ml every 3 to 4 hourly! So I mix with formula at times as my milk is onli abt 60ml every 4 hourly. Trying to let bb latch but mil say dun always carry or latch wait bb keep finding mi. I also dunno wat to do so as to increase my milk supply!

andieluv2

Jesskoo:689316 said:
Hi all, my milk supply not much bb is onli 6 days old but drink 60ml every 3 to 4 hourly! So I mix with formula at times as my milk is onli abt 60ml every 4 hourly. Trying to let bb latch but mil say dun always carry or latch wait bb keep finding mi. I also dunno wat to do so as to increase my milk supply!
Its babies instinct to want their mother isnt it? dont u wanna create a bond with ur baby? then latch ur baby. It create ckiseness and comfort them as they transit from the comfortable environment in ur womb into this world. They need alot of sense of security. If i were u i will latch. Thats the fastest way to increase ur milk. U're still day 6 only. Still got alot if chance to build ur supply. Jia you.

felicity

Yea Jess I think latching can help u increase supply.. So better to latch. My bb better today.. I think ytd growth spurt...

wenqiu

maybe she need alot of cuddling and attention. for mine, he needs alot of of attention in the first one month, but after one month, my life is so much easier! i really believe babies need alot of time to adjust to the life outside our tummy