Questions regards to childcare..

Feliz

Hello mummies, need help here.. I might go back to work soon if I get a job so I hav to send my 10months baby to childcare, but I'm clueless on wat n how it goes abt..

Example, fees, timming, food they feed, wat they do ther etc etc.. Actually alot more ques but I dunno how to ask.. So pls tell me ur experiences in this..

Thank u very much!
Btw, if possible do intro me which childcare is good ard paya lebar area..

diymummy

Hi felzdown,

If you do enroll your girl to childcare, you will be look at infant care services which usually range from 8 week old babies to 18 mth old.

Fees would very much depend on what center you choose and to be entitled to the subsidy you would need to produce your payslip or your CPF contribution printout. If you do not have it at the point of registration, you can produce it when you get your first payslip to the center and they will help you apply for the subsidy.

Usually upon registration, you would need to pay a 1 mth deposit + fees + uniform/bedsheet fees.

Most centers will go along with your timing for food feeding. They will try as much as possible to adapt to your routine. But once my boy was 13mths, he was "upgraded" to the older infant group where they nap together at a fixed time and ate together at a fixed time. This was good for him as it helped him transition into playgroup at 18 mths.

You'll need to shortlist the centers you want to visit and personally make a trip down to look at the environment. It'll be good to go during a weekday, eg 10am or 3pm, where most kids are awake so that you can observe the kids and teachers in action.

Some centers have "curriculum" for the infants though I find that it is usually not followed through. But my son did do some arts and crafts in school like hand painting, pasting stickers and stuff like that to enhance the fine motor skills.

In regards to food, you'll also have to check with the center. Usually they have a menu for the kids too which is repeated monthly.

Most importantly you must like what you see. If the environment is out of control, smelly and dirty, chances are your girl will not like it there.

There's a Cherie Hearts at Paya Lebar area. It is not too bad. You can also go to the MCYS website to do a search for centers with full day infant care services in the desired area.

Feliz

Hello DIYMUMMY.. thanks for sharing.. So long didnt "chat" with u.. How hav u been?? =)

Im so worried to put edlycia in childcare..Hear so many diff cases abt e teacher etc etc.. So now dilema.. Btw, e timming normally till wat time ah? example if i hav to OT den they can "keep" her for me till i come or must excat time? I will go MCYS webbie to see which school den i will go "tour".. hehhehehe...

diymummy

LOL! I am doing fine, thanks :)

Most centers their operation hours are 7am-7pm though there are some in the city which close at 8pm. The usual penalty for late parents is $1 per minute. :x Yes, $1 per minute and you pay it to the teacher who is staying behind.

In regards to horror stories, I guess on and off you'll get bad teachers. I experienced one or two incidences myself. I think most importantly is to work closely with the teachers. And since their attention span is so diverted, cos 1 teacher to 2-4 babies, sometimes they will forget things.

One more thing to consider is the teacher:baby ratio. My center is 1 teacher to 3 babies.