rashes problem

tinkerball

my boy had been having rashes for the past few days not on the genital area, but at the area between his upper buttock and his waist. tried desitin and it doesnt work. its at the back and have no contact with faeces and urine. cant be the diaper cos i have been using the same brand for the past year. any mummies having the same prob? any idea what to cream to use? the rashes area seems to be getting bigger and dark red. if all else doesnt work i'll need to bring him to the doctor.

ping26

my boy had been having rashes for the past few days not on the genital area, but at the area between his upper buttock and his waist. tried desitin and it doesnt work. its at the back and have no contact with faeces and urine. cant be the diaper cos i have been using the same brand for the past year. any mummies having the same prob? any idea what to cream to use? the rashes area seems to be getting bigger and dark red. if all else doesnt work i'll need to bring him to the doctor.
my girl just recovered fr fungal infection.

It looked like nappy rash at 1st, but it just got redder and kept spreading. there are some red dots along edges. Skin also looked a bit dotted like eczema. scary.

She has since recovered after PD prescribed some anti-fungal cream.
We went to GP at 1st cos we thot it was just bad nappy rash. GP thot it may be fungal. He wanted to prescribe steriod cream, but he looked unsure. so we left w no med. waste of money & time if GP is unfamiliar w infants below 1 year old.

diymummy

My boy had the same problem. He has sensitive skin.

I bought Physiogel cream from Watson's and apply it each time I change his diaper. I only apply a small amount. The rashes and redness subsided.

Before using Physiogel cream I also used Desitin as well as Sebamed nappy rash cream. But I think I realised the problem wasn't nappy rash. The nappy rash cream was very drying and it caused the rashes to appear. Physiogel is a moisturizer.

tinkerball

My boy had the same problem. He has sensitive skin.

I bought Physiogel cream from Watson's and apply it each time I change his diaper. I only apply a small amount. The rashes and redness subsided.

Before using Physiogel cream I also used Desitin as well as Sebamed nappy rash cream. But I think I realised the problem wasn't nappy rash. The nappy rash cream was very drying and it caused the rashes to appear. Physiogel is a moisturizer.
is ur boy's rashes on genital area or at the back? cos i also realised that it is not nappy rash my boy is having as it is above the buttock area.

tinkerball

i see.. i guess im gonna be buying both anti fungal and physiogel and see which works better. the rashes is dark red and kinda ugly at this point.

diymummy

Eeks. Must be painful.

Physiogel cream is a moisturizer. They have it in cream and lotion form. The cream is more concentrated than the lotion.

tinkerball

Eeks. Must be painful.

Physiogel cream is a moisturizer. They have it in cream and lotion form. The cream is more concentrated than the lotion.
yeah the area look kinda dry so i guess i need to moisturise with medication. strange thing is that my boy doesnt seem to be scratching that area so i guess its not itchy? or he cant be bothered to scratch?:bconfused:

diymummy

Hahahaha. Maybe he knows scratching it looks obscene. LOL!

Kidding. Hope your little one gets better soon. :)

camom

Desitin works fine for my son who has sensitive skin as well. I use physiogel lotion on his body, so far so gd. I tried Dermaveen and QV kids on him before, but I find it too oily.

His paed is not very keen on giving us steriod based creams unless his eczema flares up.

You can get Physiogel from those shops above Chinatown hawker centre. That shop (i don't know the name) at Level 3 closest to Cheong Choon Store stocks Physiogel lotions/cleansers.

diymummy

Hi camom,

How much did you get from those stores? Currently I'm buying my Physiogel (both lotion and cream) from Watson's which is $29 and $26 respectively.

tinkerball

Desitin works fine for my son who has sensitive skin as well. I use physiogel lotion on his body, so far so good. I tried Dermaveen and QV kids on him before, but I find it too oily.

His paed is not very keen on giving us steriod based creams unless his eczema flares up.

You can get Physiogel from those shops above Chinatown hawker centre. That shop (i dont't know the name) at Level 3 closest to Cheong Choon Store stocks Physiogel lotions/cleansers.
why are steroids creams not good for babies? can elaborate? im kinda blur on this.

camom

Hi camom,

How much did you get from those stores? Currently I'm buying my Physiogel (both lotion and cream) from Watson's which is $29 and $26 respectively.
I can't remember exactly but if not mistaken, it's at least $1-$2 cheaper.

baby_elmo

:red: best way to avoid rashes is to mix wearing napkins & diapers.

:elvis:my gal had very bad rashes when she was 2-3 weeks old. cried very badly whenever urine / passing motion. Then we apply destin cream & bought her napkins & liner for day wear and diapers for nite wear. It heals within a week. From thereon, we continue using napkins till now.

Save $$ on diapers and spend more on detergent & water.

Last edited:

norfen

My 11mth old girl has bright red rashes around her neck (she sweats quite a lot). We told our helper to wipe the area dry and apply johnson powder.
I think its because of the humid weather.
Tried applying desitin on the rashes around the neck area..(got that from the GP for the rashes on her bum) but not that effective cos desitin can be quite oily. plus with her profuse sweating, it makes it more worse. the area around her neck is now quite hard and rough.
does anyone's kid have this prob? what cream/medication do u use?

bibiluvr

hi, my bb oso having rashes.. at first thought it was heat rash but dun seem to be.. she just had her vaccinations on fri n i'm hoping it's not an allergic reaction..

when she had rashes previously, i applied neoderm, given by her pd.. works well but the pd was saying it's anti fungal so dun apply so much.. this time round, her rashes persisted longer n i applied neoderm today.. seems to improve faster than the other cream he gave me..

norfen

hi, my baby also having rashes.. at first thought it was heat rash but dont seem to be.. she just had her vaccinations on fri n i'm hoping it's not an allergic reaction..

when she had rashes previously, i applied neoderm, given by her pediatrician.. works well but the pediatrician was saying it's anti fungal so dont apply so much.. this time round, her rashes persisted longer n i applied neoderm today.. seems to improve faster than the other cream he gave me..

So currently you are applying neoderm on ur baby's rashes?
Is she having the rashes around her neck?
will be going to the pharmacy later to check it out.. went to the GP, he only gave me desitin. which is sold at Watsons. but the rashes are not improving.. :(

Mummy to Baby V

I used to have frequent eczema problems and my boy has been suffering from it since 6 months old.

- Powder clogs the pores, so don't use them. For girl's genital area, avoid powder too, has been shown to cause illnesses.
- Steroidal creams is needed during eczema flare-ups to curb the inflammation and itch. The itchiness can cause baby to scratch and make it worse, so can't avoid using steroidal creams. Once the patch heals, stop steroidal treatment as long-term use causes skin-thinning and dryness. Eczema needs careful long-term management.
- My boy's dermatologist also suggested Physiogel A.I. (anti-inflammatory) as moisturise to prevent dryness after using steroid. It is expensive but works well so far. We only use at the dry areas, not all over the body.
- His eczema turned into fungal infection (circular patches), and paed prescribed anti-fungal cream with a bit of steroid.

Sigh... His skin problems give us so much headache and heartache.

- Son has been wearing modern cloth diapers full-time. Commercial disposable diapers give him rashes. Very absorbent and now he needs about 4 per day and 1 per night. Can be machined-washed easily with clothes, and uses very little detergent or extra water. Example reviewed at Moo Moo Kowâ„¢ One-Size Cloth Diapers |