recommendation needed: what can be used to store expressed milk?

imethereal

Hi mommies

my mum and I had a disagreement as she thought storing expressed milk is a terrible idea because it's not fresh and storage containers are mostly plastic and not safe...

she reads a lot of info about BPA-free plastics aren't really safe so she said my baby must stop breast milk after my maternity leave ends...

so I have a couple of questions...

what do you use to store your expressed milk? I saw a lot of options as plastic bottles and plastic bags... does anyone use glass bottles?

and... breastmilk could store upto 2 months in the fridge as I have read.. has anyone had any anti-example for that?

Thanks!!

Qookie

I stored my breast milk for about 6 weeks in the freezer. It smells weird (i dare not taste it) but my baby took it with no issues at all.

I used breast milk storage bags or milk bottles (if i had extra on hand). If you use glass, you better constantly check for cracks! Sounds a wee bit fragile and breakable to me (then again, things break easily in my hands).

The older generation seems to always have issues with regards to breastfeeding and storing of breast milk. If you're a staunch believer in giving your baby breast milk, don't get swayed by the remarks of others. Because they'll be many (especially older people) telling you negative things.

Good luck! ;)

diza

My son is cmg to 10 mths soon and he is fully BF. Everyday he drinks EBM which are 2 weeks old. I only nurse him in the evening and on weekends. I store my milk in milk bags. It does produce a weird smell but it is not spoilt. I think I did read that storing in glass bottle is nt tt good. Not sure Abt it.. Maybe u can try to google.. Although it may not be "fresh" but giving EBM is definitely better than FM regardless of how "old" the EBM is. From my personal opinion, older folks are not well informed of the benefits of BM. Even my mom and MIL are not pro-BF. If you strongly believe in giving ur child the best, then don't stop BF. Cont to BF as long as possible. Babies who are BF don't fall sick easily compared to babies on FM. My son had mild fever once after immunisation. Even when everyone in the house was down with flu, he was the only member who's not affected. Ultimately, u have the final say coz that's ur baby. You may want to get the PD or doctor to inform ur mom that EBM is as good as BM fresh from the breast.