reflux baby & enfalac AR

raoul

hi mummies, need ur thoughts so badly.
my baby, 11 weeks old, diagnosed having reflux & been on medication (MOTILIUM 1ml @3x a day) for 2 weeks.
now that passed 2 weeks so i stopped the medication as her peds advised. but now i noticed that she start spitting up large amount again. sometimes she spits up like 2 hrs after her milk which makes her awake & cries.
last time, her peds ever mention to me that i may try to change her milk to AR, he recommend ENFALAC AR.
my question is anyone of u ever feed ur baby with this FM? hows the outcome?
anymore suggestion to help to reduce my baby reflux?

pixie

My girl has acid reflux and has since then switched to special formula. I had tried Total Comfort from Similac which cost $50 for 600gm. When my girl was <4 months old, I switch her to Enfalac A.R and she has been using Enfalac until now.

My girl is now on solid food most of the time; and only take formula 3 time daily. Do take note that infants will get out of acid reflux eventually, so you will need to switch out of 'special formula'. My little one is 13 months old now, by observation, she is her doing well, therefore, I will be switching her to another brand.

You need to try out a few brands to gauge which is the one your baby preferred.

raoul

My girl has acid reflux and has since then switched to special formula. I had tried Total Comfort from Similac which cost $50 for 600gm. When my girl was <4 months old, I switch her to Enfalac A.R and she has been using Enfalac until now.

My girl is now on solid food most of the time; and only take formula 3 time daily. Do take note that infants will get out of acid reflux eventually, so you will need to switch out of 'special formula'. My little one is 13 months old now, by observation, she is her doing well, therefore, I will be switching her to another brand.

You need to try out a few brands to gauge which is the one your baby preferred.
thanx pixie for sharing.
anyway, how about the consistency of the milk? i've read few comments that enfalac AR is thick and may coz constipation. my baby so far only poop once a day. i've read also some mummies mix it with normal FM. how abt yours ?

pixie

I don't find the stool of my babies dry or hard. She never has problem pooping.
I can't produce sufficient milk so she was on formula after 2 weeks from birth. I feed my girl grips water every morning and she will at least poop once a day and sometimes twice.

Technically speaking, I don't see any harm in trying to mix milk powder with breastmilk (since it is more dilute so it might helps to reduce constipation) but I will never just give normal FM to an acid reflux baby which was entirely the reason why I gave my girl 'special formula'.

Honestly, you can't worry too much. If you have a reflux baby, you must try to give her special formula to help her ease her pain. The longer you delay, the longer you see her fussing.

Last edited:

raoul

Thanx for ur advise pixie.
Am not breastfeeding anymore & my baby drink ENFALAC a+. now am gonna try feed her with AR formula. Hopefully she'll regurgitate less.

raoul

Hi pixie, u r right. I fed her with enfalac AR since wednesday & it reduce her regurgitation a lot. She sleeps longer & drink more. But today her poop is dry, hard & pellet like. SEems that she constipated. What should i do now?
I mix the AR with the normal FM with constitency 3scoop AR + 1scoop normal FM for 120ml.
Pls help :confused:

pixie

Your baby is only 11-12 weeks old? Give 1 level teaspoon of gripe water each in the morning and afternoon 10-15 mins after the feed. Since your baby is now on total formula milk, it is good to give her some plain water (mix it with gripe water). FM is thicker than breastmilk, hence, it is necessary to give baby some water to avoid hard stool.

pixie

Is NAN normal formula or the special type?
As the formulae are from 2 different companies, I wouldn't recommend to mix them as it might cause tummy discomfort to your baby. If you like, of course can still go ahead to mix these 2 brands of formulae and observe how your baby's reaction.

Enfalac AR (which stands for Acid Reflux) is special formulated milk powder.

reflux baby &amp; enfalac AR

How long did your babies seen improvements with their spit ups? Aww I tried Enfalac A.R for my boy, he seems like not compatible with him, he keeps waking up and cry during naps. Is it a phrase and will get by soon?

cyberie

my ger was on AR as well... only at about 5/6 months... she recovered..
I mix AR with A+ as AR alone is too thick..

it might be because there is wind in his tummy and he dun find comfortable.