ReFrigerate Breastmilk?

jean1986

hi mummies,jus wanna find out if I already warm the milk but baby fall asleep without drinking @ all ,can I put it back into the fridge ??
so wasted if I have to throw away

catherlyn

hi mummies,just wanna find out if I already warm the milk but baby fall asleep without drinking @ all ,can I put it back into the fridge ??
so wasted if I have to throw away
bm after warming up is not to be refridge again n best consume within 2 hrs. I know it's wasteful n heartpain to throw it away cos it happen to me before :embarrassed: how abt dream feeding ur child? Sometime I do that if my ger fell aslp while waiting for the milk to warm up

jean1986

breast milk after warming up is not to be refridge again n best consume within 2 hours. I know it's wasteful n heartpain to throw it away cos it happen to me before :embarrassed: how about dream feeding your child? Sometime I do that if my ger fell aslp while waiting for the milk to warm up
ya super heartpain.. sigh can't dreamfeed him cause when he in deep sleep he won't open his mouth to drink.
guess I just have to throw away. =(

catherlyn

Hw abt trying to wake him up by carrying him, tking off his clothing(I kn some mummy do that while feeding but not sure abt already aslp bb) use a wet warm towel n slide pass his forehead?

jean1986

what abt milk thawed in fridge fr freezer? say I got 150ml in milk bag n I thaw it in fridge,can I pour out 100 ml n keep the remaining?
what abt if I thaw it under tap water?

nataliecxy

Milk thawed in fridge fr freezer needs to be consumed within 24hrs. Yes you can pour out 100 ml n keep the remaining in the fridge.

If thaw it under tap water then you need to use up all 150ml in the milk bag

allycat

Milk thawed in fridge fr freezer needs to be consumed within 24hrs. Yes you can pour out 100 ml n keep the remaining in the fridge.

If thaw it under tap water then you need to use up all 150ml in the milk bag
The fats will be separated once the milk has been fridged so do remember to mix the portion first before pouring.

allycat

ya super heartpain.. sigh can't dreamfeed him cause when he in deep sleep he won't open his mouth to drink.
guess I just have to throw away. =(
Otherwise, u can drink the milk yourself, give it to an older child, or use it for your beauty treat! :)

woofy55

*gasp* u mean freshly expressed milk can stand outside for 4hrs, but warmed up milk cannot? I've been warming up the milk, and put it in the cool/warm bag - gave louis abt 3hrs later. He's alright though. I was told can keep warming and warming and not exceeding 4hrs.

allycat

Quan will usually finish whatever has been warmed for him, so not sure...

Camom and Cmeilin mummies, any comments?

cmeilim

Quan will usually finish whatever has been warmed for him, so not sure...

Camom and Cmeilin mummies, any comments?

the only time when ian does not latch on is when he's taken care by my mum when i am at work, and he finishes up every drop that has been warmed quickly. so we never had a case of warmed milk staying undrunk for any amt of time. we've never warmed up milk and stored inside a warmer or thermos either, because when we go outside, it's always direct latch on me.

personally, i won't keep freshly pumped EBM stand outside for 4 hours, indeed not even half an hour because we live in a very hot climate. room temperate by tropical standards is a lot warmer than the room temperature referred to in the majority of literature on breastfeeding which is based in the temperate countries. EBM should be chilled or frozen as quickly as possible if it's not going to be consumed immediately.

i won't keep warming and warming frozen or chilled EBM either because i am of the view that repeated warming will break down the nutrients of the milk more and more. 'of the view' means i am not 100% sure that this is 100% scientific. but if as an adult i won't keep warming dishes to eat, i won't do the same to my baby's milk. better to err on the side of caution lah.... =)

honestly i have not heard abt the 4hrs rule before....woofy55, who told you this?

jean1986

I read that freshly pumped bm can be left @ room temperature for 4hours but once it's refrigerated and warmed,it has to be finished within 1hrs.some say 2,some say 30minutes. I usually won't let warmed milk be left untouched for more than an hour.

cmeilim

I read that freshly pumped breast milk can be left @ room temperature for 4hours but once it's refrigerated and warmed,it has to be finished within 1hrs.some say 2,some say 30minutes. I usually won't let warmed milk be left untouched for more than an hour.

oh i see. but as i mentioned previously, room temperate by tropical standards is a lot warmer than the room temperature referred to in the majority of literature on breastfeeding which is based on temperate countries. it can mean as much as a difference of 10 deg Celcius or more. i won't take this risk with my baby, JMHO....