Refusing solid

cinx

my baby is 7 months old now, few weeks ago i started solid on him. at first he ate everything ... but now he refuse everything. already tried vegetables puree, fruit puree, baby rice, he keep refusing everything, all those food end up in the sink. he only wants breast milk. is it okay to be like this ?

diymummy

How long has he been refusing solids? My son is like this too when he is teething, even up till now at 17mths. Usually it lasts abt a week or 2.

cinx

its been 2 weeks now, the thing is he still wants to eat those baby biscuit, the one melt in mouth .. if i gave him a very tiny piece of papaya instead of puree, he eat it and ask for more

Starbat11

Hey, my boy faces exactly the same problem as you! I was really concerned. He started at the 7 mths too, refuses everything. I realised my boy is teething. So, I guess stuffing a spoon into his mouth may just hurt his gums. I gave him more milk as per his request.

Dont worry, its a passing phase. Your baby will eat better once the tooth are out! =)

cinx

hmm yup, i think he's teething .. i gave him the teething rusk, he's biting on it like crazy ... another silly question, when will i know i could start giving him on solid again ?

diymummy

Just keep trying. Make a little to feed. If he rejects, don't force. Once the pain is over, he will be back to normal.

I notice that when my son is teething, he prefers cooler porridge/cereal compared to hot ones. He usually likes hot food but when he is teething, he prefers the food to be slightly cooler.

Ting

uhhh, how come spoon feeding will hurt his gums???? makes no sense, not like he is biting the spoon?

anyway, one reason might be he is teething, another might be, he doesnt like food to be pureed n prefer food with more texture.
like u mention abt the papaya...for the rice cereal, did u make it very watery? add lesser water/BM to give it a slightly more "rough" texture n see if he likes it. :)

maybe u can start on porridge also.

apollo

uhhh, how come spoon feeding will hurt his gums???? makes no sense, not like he is biting the spoon?

anyway, one reason might be he is teething, another might be, he doesnt like food to be pureed n prefer food with more texture.
like you mention about the papaya...for the rice cereal, did you make it very watery? add lesser water/breast milk to give it a slightly more "rough" texture n see if he likes it. :)

maybe you can start on porridge also.
ya true...

ash tt time kept refuse solid food due to teething but i think partly was also becos i kept giving him those same textures or foods from similar categories.. haha..

cinx

yesterday, i gave him chopped papaya, he eat normally. today gave him porridge, not baby rice, he refuse again ... :(

apollo

what porridge u give? totally plain w/o anything? have u try adding some threadfin, vege puree into the porridge? i used to add pumpkin puree into ds's porridge and he will slurp all up. if not, ikan bilis stock. haha.. though they nd to eat healthily, but the porridge also shd hav some light taste (from food NOT seasoning).