rejecting fm.

andieluv2

my bb is currently going 5 months and is on total ebm. she used to be mixed feed with my ebm as her main source of feeds. as i have just enough supply for her right now, i am still not able to pump more to stock up for her whn i go bck to wrk in 1month's time, i am thinking of supplementing her with fm again whn she is 6 months old and also at the same time start to wean her. of course at the same time i will still continue to pump to give her bm for as long as i can.

she used to be on similac stage 1. but she has stop taking it since 2.5 months ago and my concern is that is there a possibility that she might reject fm? i am not keen.on starting her on mixed feeds so soon as i wish to let her have exclusive ebm for at least 6 months so i have yet to try to.put her bck on fm.

may i know whether any mothers out there havr encounter such issue with bb refusing fm?

yes! I started to give FM when I wanted to wean my son off bm when he turned 1 yr.

So what I did was this. He was drinking 180ml of ebm then. So i mixed 170ml ebm with 10ml fm. (seems little rt? but then the taste of the fm is so strong that even with 10ml, the whole milk taste so diff from EBM). let him get used to the taste. then after that when he more used to it, i increased fm to 20ml (160ebm 20fm) and then slowly increase. actually when is nearly half half, he could already accept one bott of fm by itself.

babies are smart. they know that bm is the best! hahah

So for your case, you intend to give full fm after 6 mth? before you switch to fm, make sure you have enough ebm to last for at least 1-2 weeks to let baby accept fm first. cos it's really quite a struggle to see baby rejecting the milk cos of the taste. but then cos your baby still small, there may not be a big prob to switch. is only when they are bigger and can rem the taste that they reject fm more.

Can mix like that meh? I remember read somewhere ( don know in article or some mummies advice), say cannot, like will destroying nutrient of bm. Not sure true or not.

By rt not advisable to mix cos diff properties but no choice cos really wan to wean off bm. I read many mummies also do this way. Is the same as not advisable to mix diff fm but some still mix.

I think a few mixed feeds is fine cos ultimately we want to transit to fm.

andieluv2

oh okay.. i am keeping fingers crossed that she will accept fm eh... i do have 5litres of fbm to let her try out fm. maybe i go bck to wrk liao then give her fm. was thinking she small so should be okay and not reject fm. hope so...