Rented a room to someone

scarletng

dear all, what do you feel if you rented a room to a someone who is not working, sit at home whole day do nothing ?
is been 1/2 year already, she still cannot find a stable job, work for few days, resign, cannot stand long hours, low paid, far away, etc.
room is not tidy, messy around, things lying here & there, sometimes bucket of dirty clothes not wash in the washroom, dry clothes hang in the balcony not taken in, etc.
treat my house like belong to her, can do things as she like, I already told or warn her few times, she still like that.

Imom

Do you have a tenancy agreement with her? Black and white with all conditions and rules and regulations stated.

scarletng

yes, sign for 1 year contract, is all stated in the agreement too, but she never really follow properly, room is not tidy, messy around, things lying here & there, sometimes bucket of dirty clothes not wash in the washroom, dry clothes hang in the balcony not taken in, etc.
sometimes I have take in her dry clothes hang in the balcony as I need to hang my wash clothes too, just throw into her clothes basket, also sometimes she dont even pick up back later even she at home that day, she only pick up when she really need.
she always say no time, busy, sometimes dont know what she doing at home while I working, sometimes scared she might doing something not good in my house, told her before, dont bring guys overnight at my house before, if girls, let me know in advance 1st.

smiley

Is she local or foreigner. Did u check her background before u song the tenancy agreement. How long more month to go. For me, I can't stand this type of people too.

reffine

Did u state in the tenancy agreement how long is the notice if either party going to terminate the contract?

For me, i will give her notice to find other rooms as i dont want to continue renting her the room.

scarletng

she local, still got 5 months to go, just a simple tenancy agreement stated rules & regulation on can & cannot do while staying at my house with 1 month notice to either party for termination.
today she bring 2 friends over, turning my house to a mini hair salon, she & another friend dye theirs hair, even ask me, got extra towel to borrow, she say, will wash it clean later, give her 1 seldom used towel, ask her to clean up the mess later.
she had the habbit to borrow things from me, even pads too, she still own me some $$$.

Imom

Firstly, did tenancy agreement states that you have the right to terminate the lease if you give a notice to her?
Secondly, was it make known to her that she is not allowed to bring visitors over?
Thirdly, does she have a representing agent when sign the lease? And do you have one also?
Any stamping done to the tenancy agreement?

If she has an agent serving her, call your agent up and make it known to him/her. They have to solve the problem for you. Else a more amicable way would be, talk to her firmly, what she can and cannot do. What you expect her to do.

If a tenant unable to follow the rules and regulations that is make known when the agreement is made or when he or she default payment, landlord has the right to terminate the lease and ask her to go.

The following will be my opinion,
I will advise my landlord to speak to the tenant if they are still in talking terms first. If can't, then as an agent serving my landlord I will take actions on behalf. Talk first, cannot or still same, then I will tell her that she has to start looking for a place. I will advise landlord to rent out room to a more responsible tenant. One that is prompt in payment and will take care of the room and most importantly follow the rules and regulations.

scarletng

1) Tenancy agreement didn't stated I have the right to terminate the lease.
2) She is allowed to bring friends or visitors over but cannot stay overnight, if she wants, must let me know in advance but guys are not allowed to stay overnight only.
3) Is just a simple tenancy agreement stated rules & regulation on can & cannot do while staying at my house with 1 month notice to either party for termination which I copy from 1 of my friend tenancy agreement & no stamping done.
House under me & my ex-hubby, staying with my daughter. Remind her before rules & regulation on can & cannot do while staying at my house.
This month rental she still haven't pay me yet plus she still own me some $$$.

milkmonster

Mmm.. If I were you, I would cut my losses now and serve her notice to vacate. It'd be worse if she prolongs payment for another 3, 5, 10 months and you'd be kicking yourself as to why you didn't do it sooner. Get rid of the problem now.. really not worth the added stress, heartache, grey hairs.. Just my 2cents. Others may have a better suggestion/ solution.

Imom

Meaning you didn't inform HDB about the room rental? It is against HDB ruling to sublet room without informing HDB, and HDB has the right to charge penalty or confiscate if repeat offense just to let you know. What I suggest is, if you can take it then tell her she has to vacate once lease is over and within this period of time, tell her no more visitors is allowed to come over. And she has to pay her rent promptly. As for the money she owes you, deduct from the deposit.

If you really need the extra income from renting out your room, please do so the proper way. Yes no doubt property agent will charge commission for it, but charges is base on how long the lease is. For 1 yr lease the comm is half a month with gst chargeable.

Doing the proper way, at least you won't get into trouble or for fear that tenant will bite you back as your agent will advise you accordingly.

If stamping isn't done, this tenancy agreement will not be taken into consideration in court. Meaning tak pakai in other words useless.

scarletng

hi all, remind her again, if still like that, better look for another place, see how this few days if she really do it.

I really dont know I need to inform HDB about my house room to rent as I thought the house is belong to me & my ex-hubby even thou is still under monthly installement payments & is just a simple tenancy agreement without stamping on it, thanks so much for your info Imom.

Imom

Not a problem, stamping of tenancy agreement will be paid by tenants, normally not much depending on the duration of the lease. The need to do stamping is to make the tenancy agreement legal just in case there is any disputes, like if anything happens go Small Claims Tribunal etc. Informing HDB can be done via Internet within 7 days once the tenancy starts.

Yes the the flat belongs to you and your ex husband but its meant for staying not to rent out. For detail information on eligibility and guidelines you can go HDB.gov.sg for information.