Rice for one year old??

skinneybeenie

My hubby and I started giving rice to my son when he was 11+months old. He seems to eat and tolerate it well. What he is eating is actually small pieces of vege, shredded meat or mashed fish/tofu, egg with soupy rice.

I am not sure why the people I ask around with kids my son's age are still feeding them porridge. Is it really necessary?

My son is now 13.5 months old. He even sometimes wants to eat the rice (dry) without the soup. He has 8 teeth. Is it ok for him to eat rice? My mum doesn't think it's a good idea, but honestly the amount he is eating seems more than porridge last time and he's still gaining weight gradually at his age though he is pretty thin baby...

For milk, he takes solely breastmilk (latching)

apollo

i think is really up to ur son, whether he prefers rice or porridge. i started giving ds rice when he was 11mth old while my fren only let her son try rice ard 15mth old? as long as ur son can chew and swallow well, i dont see any problem here. =)

adelynn

i think it depends largely on the kid's preference. my girl started eating rice at almost 11 months, and never looked back. She didnt really take to porridge. As long as they don't choke, i think it's okay. Food wise, i tend to let her lead me as to when she's ready to take bigger chunks, thicker consistency etc.

redjn

To me, as long as the kid has teeth & already know how to chew there food, I will give any thing to them.

duckiemom

sorie ah, can i ask a silly question... how do i know if my bb knows how to chew? she is gng 10mths and is on puree food since 5+mths old. she likes the puree very much and i haven't given her chunks of food yet, mainly is puree porridge and pureed fruits/veg, haven't give meat also. she has 2 bottom teeth. thanks mommies!

bibiluvr

hi,

i also thought it's ok to give rice but add with soup but my mother in law was saying that my daughter hasn't grown her back teeth (those used for chewing.. forgot the proper name) so not advisable to give rice. Right now, she has 4 top teeth and two bottom and is still on porridge. Hubby and I do give her some rice which she does take in a bit but more for fun than really filling her up..

yupz depend on baby and parents..

Some parents start semi-solid at 7 or as late as 8 months... coz total bf....

I start way of at 4 months... now that she is 10 months already eating noodles and rice.. 4 teeth is out..