Rice & noodles portion and meal choices for 17 month old

Just Me

Hi mummies,

My son is 17 month now and i only started to introduce adult table food for him. Wondering how much portion will u all give ur toddler for rice and side dish?
How much water to cook soft rice? How did u all offer the veg and meat? (Minced or chopped very finely/ chopped into cube-size form for the meat?)

He is not good in chewing. Food like steam carrots, peach, steam apples, pumpkin etc all these is fine. But anything that is harder than those like mince meat, bread, scramble eggs etc , he will gags easily. But baby snacks like gerber cereal stars etc, those that would melt in the mouth he is fine too.

He had been eating porridge for his main meals most of the time. Sometimes oatmeal porridge. Will let him try some of our adult food like mee suah, kway teow, egg noodles, rice sometimes and he seems to like it.

I tried to cooked soft rice today with some side dish ( chopped chye sim & steamed broccoli & carrot) + a little gravy from the stir fried chye sim.. he finish the rice (but still gag) and the carrot. But refuse to swallow the other veg. I find that mayb he does not like bigger chunks of veg cos he usually had his veg blended into his porridge. And he doesnt like broccoli becos it gives a very "sandy" texture. He doesnt like mince meat too becos of the texture.

Any mummies could advice? Or facing the same problem? TiA!!!