Safe to take any supplements?

Smiley22

Hi all

I'm new to this site. Have jus discovered I'm pregnant for 4 weeks. Was wondering do I need to take or it is safe to have any supplements intake at this stage?

shirasefira

Hi all

I'm new to this site. Have just discovered I'm pregnant for 4 weeks. Was wondering do I need to take or it is safe to have any supplements intake at this stage?
wat i know during first 3 mths pregnancy, must take folic acid.. btw, congrats on becuming a mummy...

Last edited:

meiteoh

If you don't take supplements, it's okay as well. Just make sure you eat a well-balanced meal. I was never on supplements until my third trimester (magnesium) and even then, I wasn't taking it every day. I follow my body's cravings, eg in my first trimester was oranges (high in folate), 2nd trimester was bananas (potassium) and then followed by strawberries and so forth.

Sometimes it's not good to over-supplement as the excess gets flushed out and it's ends up being a waste. Plus getting your nutrients from food is better as supplements may contain compounds that are not easily digested or absorbed making it pointless to take them in the first place.

JazN

My gynae suggest taking obimin, folic acid, fish oil, calcium. It's advisable to check with your gynae as he/she will best know about what you're lacking or require best on your health.

apollo

what kind of supplements u refering to?? those for pregnancy or those u've been taking BEFORE u're preggy?

i used to take flaxseed oil b4 preggy and my gynae asked me to stop upon knowing my pregnancy. she said no harm taking but there is no nd to take either.

as for those supplements for prenangy, i took folid acid during the 1st 3 mths and aft tt add on multivitamin, calcium, fish oil. =)

rmb, even supplements, also hav to take in moderation. too much of good things might become a bad thing =)

diymummy

The usual are as mentioned, fish oil, calcium, iron, multi-vits. But it is best to clear with you gynae because OTC pills have different grammages of the supplement. You shouldn't be over supplementing and tax out your kidneys too much.