safe to take medication to increase milk supply?

babyk2003

I totally agree that chicken essence is a great product. But I like chicken essence from eu Yan Sang. It tastes better than Brands.

PTB7476

Hey, your son is almost 5 months looking at your ticker. May I know how much milk are you pumping per time and the frequency?

I am currently pumping 5 times in 24 hr, each time total EBM is about 140 - 160ml :( My gal is drinking more now, about 120ml every 2 hr, except night time, it can stretch longer. I guess I won't be able to catch up her demand, I give her FM for 1 feed during the night.

I think I will also stop BF around 5 months or so when she goes to infant care and i go back to work
I only pump 3 times per day. Can't afford to pump 4hrs ESP after returning to work force. Each time 110-150 ml but my son drink 180-200ml. So he's on 2 or 3 times bm and the rest fm. So likely will stop bm when he is 6months old and start on solid. No idea how others can bm Til > 1 year old haha

PTB7476

My Gynea gave me presciption for milk supply together with fenugreek. But I finish the medicine my milk supply decreased. I kept on taking fenugreek. But dun seem to work.

In the end, I found out that taking chicken essence can really boost milk supply. So now i take one bottle a day.
Is it? I din know that maybe I will give it a try. Btw normal
Chicken essence or those with American ginseng or cord ( dunno how to spell ) :p

cmeilim

hello everyone,

it is possible to keep breastfeeding exclusively up to 1 yr old and even beyond, even for FTWMs. Just latch and nurse on demand, even if it means every 1.5-2hrs, whenever you are with baby. If baby sleeps through the nite or sleeps through more than 3-4h at a shot, wake up to pump to stimulate the breast and to keep up with the supply. if you want to go out without baby for more than 3-4h, please also find some way of pumping while you are outside. or else the body will read it as reduced demand and hence supply will also adjust itself downwards. the body is extremely sensitive to any fluctuation in demand, esp in the first two to three months, and a day's 'laziness' can cause quite big damage very quickly.

remember that latching on is always better than pumping because a baby's suction is stronger than the best pump in the world, and pumping will never be able to totally clear your breast the way baby's suckling can.

nursing tea can work to some extent to keep up with supply, but the efficacy varies from mum to mum. moreover, there are many other supporting factors to maintaining or increasing milk supply, eg enough rest/sleep, keeping stress levels low, and drinking plenty of fluids.

mummies can also try eating oat - it's great to keeping milk supply up. =)

maichiang

hello everyone,

it is possible to keep breastfeeding exclusively up to 1 yr old and even beyond, even for FTWMs. Just latch and nurse on demand, even if it means every 1.5-2hrs, whenever you are with baby. If baby sleeps through the nite or sleeps through more than 3-4h at a shot, wake up to pump to stimulate the breast and to keep up with the supply. if you want to go out without baby for more than 3-4h, please also find some way of pumping while you are outside. or else the body will read it as reduced demand and hence supply will also adjust itself downwards. the body is extremely sensitive to any fluctuation in demand, esp in the first two to three months, and a day's 'laziness' can cause quite big damage very quickly.

remember that latching on is always better than pumping because a baby's suction is stronger than the best pump in the world, and pumping will never be able to totally clear your breast the way baby's suckling can.

nursing tea can work to some extent to keep up with supply, but the efficacy varies from mum to mum. moreover, there are many other supporting factors to maintaining or increasing milk supply, eg enough rest/sleep, keeping stress levels low, and drinking plenty of fluids.

mummies can also try eating oat - it's great to keeping milk supply up. =)
woahh! so inspiring! i used to pump 4hrly..then 12hrly..now i haf stopped pumping..i breastfeed on demand and mi baby suckle on once in the night..so shld i be waking up to pump? i've known quite a few ple who breastfeed on demand and they've been doing it for a year w/o pumping and all..

do you have abundant supply of milk?? since you're so diligent..i only need enough supply for mi baby..as i hate using the manual pump..& i am not sure wad time to pump? as in what if i jz finish pumping & baby wana feed? etc etc...i would love to breastfeed mi baby till i am ready for mi next..

cmeilim

Applause. Your company / Boss must be very understanding
Yes I hv understanding colleagues. It helps that I hv my own office n a kind colleague passed me her bar fridge with freezer to use after she stopped nursing. As I taped paper over my office door glass window n lock the room when I needed to pump, I made sure I remained contactable
Via phone if need to discuss work. Basically i worked and pumped at the same time. I was firm about my decision to Breastfeed but also made sure pumping didn't affect my work productivity adversely.

babyk2003

It's a constant pressure for me as I kept worrying abt my milk supply so have to find all sorts of remedy to increase breast milk.

I always envy those mummies producing more milk than their baby could finish. Although they usually complain abt engorging n leaking of breastmilk n pumping non-stop, I really think it's a blessing. At least they dun have to worry abt their baby not getting enough.

Envy, Envy!

Last edited:

cmeilim

It's a constant pressure for me as I kept worrying abt my milk supply so have to find all sorts of remedy to increase breast milk.

I always envy those mummies producing more milk than their baby could finish. Although they usually complain abt engorging n leaking of breastmilk n pumping non-stop, I really think it's a blessing. At least they dun have to worry abt their baby not getting enough.

Envy, Envy!

stress contributes to reducing milk supply, so don't be stressed ya! take one day at a time!

cmeilim

woahh! so inspiring! i used to pump 4hrly..then 12hrly..now i haf stopped pumping..i breastfeed on demand and mi baby suckle on once in the night..so shld i be waking up to pump? i've known quite a few ple who breastfeed on demand and they've been doing it for a year w/o pumping and all..

do you have abundant supply of milk?? since you're so diligent..i only need enough supply for mi baby..as i hate using the manual pump..& i am not sure wad time to pump? as in what if i jz finish pumping & baby wana feed? etc etc...i would love to breastfeed mi baby till i am ready for mi next..

haha, it's precisely becos i didn't have abundant milk supply, that was why i needed to be so diligent, esp since i had the aim in mind to breastfeed my first boy for as long as possible, and to continue nursing during my pregnancy. thank goodness i did, because the advantage i have discovered is that i do have abundant supply now to nurse both newborn and my toddler!

maichiang

Envy, Envy!
Same here! currently drinking sacred tea..and eating traditional foods that encourages increase in milk supply..i like it when mi breast feels engorged..but it doesnt last long..and when mi breast feels soft,i feel so insecure! i rather haf a leaking breast than worrying whether mi baby is having enough too!=(

maichiang

haha, it's precisely becos i didn't have abundant milk supply, that was why i needed to be so diligent, esp since i had the aim in mind to breastfeed my first boy for as long as possible, and to continue nursing during my pregnancy. thank goodness i did, because the advantage i have discovered is that i do have abundant supply now to nurse both newborn and my toddler!
its enough for 2?!! when i am fretting for only 1!!! so you feed them EMB, i guess?? woaahh..lucky you! i really cant be bothered about using the manual pump..i get more stressed when i see little output..anws since i am a stay in mom who gives tuition at her own house,i decided to keep away the pump..i shall nurse through mi 2nd pregnancy as well...tt is,if i can continue breastfeeding till den..so envious!=(

cmeilim

its enough for 2?!! when i am fretting for only 1!!! so you feed them EMB, i guess?? woaahh..lucky you! i really cant be bothered about using the manual pump..i get more stressed when i see little output..anws since i am a stay in mom who gives tuition at her own house,i decided to keep away the pump..i shall nurse through mi 2nd pregnancy as well...tt is,if i can continue breastfeeding till den..so envious!=(
I am on maternity leave now, so i nurse my children directly. The newborn is the main nursling. The toddler is at childcare centre during daytime and eats three solid meals plus snack meals in a day, so I only need to nurse him once a nite and pump out EBM for his breakfast cereals.