SAHM - engage your babies all day long?

kejiasg

Hi SAHMs,
Anyone could share your daily lifestyle? Do you engage your babies every minute of his waking hours? Do you do your chores (cooking, washing) while he's napping or awake?

Besides bathing and feeding (breastfeeding on demand), I tried to sing and read to my boy (coming to 5 months), engage him in physical activities such as let him roll about (he can roll both ways now), stand up (he loves to stand), carry him round the house to see things, watch 15-30 mins of baby edu video...

Thinking that since I'm a SAHM, I should maximise my time with him but many times I find I ran out of things to do.
hi mummies , i am a chinese sahm , want to know more mummies to exchange tips of motherhood .can i join u guys

cmeilim

hi mummies , i am a chinese stay at home mum , want to know more mummies to exchange tips of motherhood .can i join you guys

when I was taking care of Ian on my own during my ML and as for now during weekends when we are at home, we give him a mixture of directed and free play. we believe babies should not be spoilt into having adult attention 100% of the time, but it is impt that they also learn how to play by themselves, exploring toys and books on their own, or just chill out and hang loose.

i do most of the engagement in directed play, roping in daddy's help when i need a break. we carry him around the house to point out things to him and teach him new vocabulary, read (story books, nursery rhymes), sing songs, do action songs, dance, exercise, watch a bit of baby tv or educational dvds, listen to classical music/phonics CDs/children's songs, do puppetry (hand puppet, finger puppets), play with toys, and most recently try to get him to do some art (more like scrawling with a fat crayon), simple role play (eg cooking), bring him to push his walker downstairs and play at the playground.

so far, our family decision is no need for enrichment classes of the academic or brain training kind for now. but hubby and I agreed that gym classes that focus on physical development and social skills can be beneficial and are in fact starting classes at The Gym from this Sunday now that Ian can walk.

If any mummy is keen to start playing phonics CD to their babies/young tods, I am selling one of the phonic CDs I use cheaper than at other online stores. My boy will squeal with delight and dance with the singing whenever I play it. Now he tries to mimick the first song for the letter 'a', by going 'ae-ae-ae'. Very amusing. It comes with a big colourful songbook which you can use to teach them the corresponding letters.

Limited sets available! Pl feel free to check out my posting here.

brand new Montessori Ants on the Apple Phonics Audio CD and book

cmeilim

oh yeah, ian also loves playing puzzles a lot when his pincer grip was established. we love melissa and doug wooden puzzles (chunky ones as well as those with pegs for easy grasping). i also got him a variety of kid-size musical instruments for him to tinkle around with, since he loves music. we have tambourines, castanet, wrist bells, wooden piano, xylophone, samba drum.

my hubby jokes that i run an in-house all-rounder enrichment programme, and he saves a lot of money from sending ian to external classes, lol!

haha, i just realise this is under the SAHM thread, but i am a FTWM. Well, just sharing what a FTWM can do when she is at home. =) There are a whole lot of things to do with our kids - parents don't need to be trained. just need to spend a bit of time and effort to read up, exchange ideas with other mummies (like what we are doing here!), be creative, and essentially be child-like. =)

Last edited:

cocraze

oh yeah, ian also loves playing puzzles a lot when his pincer grip was established. we love melissa and doug wooden puzzles (chunky ones as well as those with pegs for easy grasping). i also got him a variety of kid-size musical instruments for him to tinkle around with, since he loves music. we have tambourines, castanet, wrist bells, wooden piano, xylophone, samba drum.

my hubby jokes that i run an in-house all-rounder enrichment programme, and he saves a lot of money from sending ian to external classes, lol!

haha, i just realise this is under the stay at home mum thread, but i am a full time working mum. Well, just sharing what a full time working mum can do when she is at home. =) There are a whole lot of things to do with our kids - parents dont't need to be trained. just need to spend a bit of time and effort to read up, exchange ideas with other mummies (like what we are doing here!), be creative, and essentially be child-like. =)
Hi cmeilim, Thanks for sharing!
Sigh, I should be ashamed of myself. Got so much time spend with her the whole day, but sometimes I just want to get AWAY from her. For me, I think I lack initiative and the attributes highlighted above.

jojoki

Hi jojoki, I also wish that good educational methods could be made affordable to all children. If budget is a concern, consider getting the books by Glenn Doman (refer to Storefront) and make your own materials. I'm not sure where retailers in Singapore are.

The method is different from Shichida and I think does not include senses/image play. At least the parts on reading & Math should help. The system repeats flashcards on quite a number of days, so if the child is bored (I.e. already knows the stuff), just move on and use new cards.

I sincerely believe that children learn fastest and easiest at age 0-3, so it is important to teach them when they are thirsty for knowledge. Have fun with baby! :)
hi mievee we are already doing the glenn doman programme (maths english encycopedic and the physical one since she was 3 months) hehe!

but its neither cheap cause the materials cost thousands! but i got mine really cheap (used) hehe.. n got the books passed down too.

Mummy to Baby V

hi mievee we are already doing the glenn doman programme (maths english encycopedic and the physical one since she was 3 months) hehe!

but its neither cheap cause the materials cost thousands! but i got mine really cheap (used) hehe.. n got the books passed down too.
Great to recycle and reuse where possible. There are sooooo many educational materials (books, puzzles, games, etc.) that I am interested in. Most of the time, I get all excited over the interesting puzzles. Then my boy follows suit. :)

Yes, we love Melissa & Doug puzzles too. They are pricey (somemore we are spending Ringgit here) and the money adds up very fast.

cmeilim

Yes, we love Melissa & Doug puzzles too. They are pricey (somemore we are spending Ringgit here) and the money adds up very fast.

yup, that's why i always try to look for pre-loved toys in good condition first and buying brand new toys are a last resort. it's surprising how many of the pre-loved toys are in very good, useable, play-able condition. guess it's due to the short attention span of babies and young tods. =)

Mummy to Baby V

yup, that's why i always try to look for pre-loved toys in good condition first and buying brand new toys are a last resort. it's surprising how many of the pre-loved toys are in very good, useable, play-able condition. guess it's due to the short attention span of babies and young tods. =)
We are also very selective of the toys / stuff we buy, to make sure they would have a long playing span and of good quality that can last through a few children (against toddler's banging, biting, dropping, throwing, etc.) Get to stretch the money this way. :)

snowbear

Hihi, I also do homeschooling with my little one now, using methods such as those mentioned by MieVee and I make my own picture cards and learning aids. You can hop over to my blog to take a look if you like. :)

There's also a site myplayschool.net which shares activities that can be done with your little ones and preschoolers.

JessTan

My home-visit nurse recommends a mixture of interactive play and independent play daily, which I followed until today (boy is 16 months old). When he was a baby, I'd interact and play with him for 30min or so then let him entertain himself for 30min or until he needs me.

We read, sing, talk (with baby sign language), play silly games (peekaboo, etc), play rough games (practise doling over, crawling, etc).

Then I let him play by himself at play-gym or in cot surrounded by mobile & toys to explore for himself.

When he was about 9 months old and learning very fast, I ran out of ideas. We signed up for Shichida class and started at 14 months old. The programme gives me a good guide on what activities to engage my boy at home. We have 1 hour of homeschooling lessons every morning and creative free play at other times. It's very fun to be stay at home mum. :)

My boy is clingy during sleep, so I can only prepare his meals in the mornings and do simple chores when hubby is back.
Hi mummy, like to check with u what is shicida class and what does it comprises? :)

Mummy to Baby V

Hi mummy, like to check with you what is shicida class and what does it comprises? :)
You may read more about The Shichida Method FAQ at The Shichida Method

It has 1-hr class per week, comprises of a range of activities to help child draw out his innate abilities and utilize both the right & left brain. There is a 3-hr Parent Education Course to educate parents on how to do home practice and how to show love to the child effectively.

During the week, parent is encouraged to spend time doing home learning activities with child and have bonding sessions.

In general, classes for 1-yr olds include image play, senses play, photographic memory, flashcards, songs, puzzles, linking memory, abacus play, mathematics and fine motor skills training. Only 4-6 children of about the same age per class, accompanied by parent. So far, my boy enjoys his weekly classes and home activities. :)

3mum

Hi mummies,

My girls went for 1 yr shicida classes and have stopped as they have other enrichment to attend. Hence, would like to sell away the "dots" flashcards, 4 boxes of dots cards, plus free blank flashcards. Condition still very new as have not have the time to practice it with girls. Anyone interest, do drop me a message.

JJ2011

Hi mummies,

My girls went for 1 yr shicida classes and have stopped as they have other enrichment to attend. Hence, would like to sell away the "dots" flashcards, 4 boxes of dots cards, plus free blank flashcards. Condition still very new as have not have the time to practice it with girls. Anyone interest, do drop me a message.
Hi,3mum, do you mind to share what is the cost of this course?