Separation Deed

Triquetra

Anyone knows the cost of engaging a lawyer to get a separation deed?
How is it done and what if one of the parties disagrees to it?
What are the things to take note of?
Any affordable lawyer to recommend?

Am wondering if I have not't married for more than 3 years, is it possible to get a divorce? Is it possible to use in laws or blindly siding of in laws and putting me at a disadvantage as a reason for unreasonable behaviour?
Roughly how much does it cost to engage a lawyer to get a divorce?

mag_huiling

Anyone knows the cost of engaging a lawyer to get a separation deed?
My lawyer quoted $800-$1200, but he capped it at $900 for me.
How is it done and what if one of the parties disagrees to it?
You have to personally go down to their office and give your statement, clauses that you want it to be included in the deed of separation, etc..
As what I know, If one party disagree, either he don't sign, or hire a lawyer to fight and negotiate the terms with you or to your lawyer, which may incur more cost.
What are the things to take note of?
Talk to your husband and discuss what are the terms that both of you will agree before going down and ensure that he is willing to sign.
Any affordable lawyer to recommend?
I can recommend you my lawyer, Mr Godwin, his number is 65351306. Say you're recommended by Magdalyn.

Am wondering if I have not't married for more than 3 years, is it possible to get a divorce?
No. Now, as what my lawyer told me, even adultery have to go through separation. Only reason to file for direct divorce is that you have evidence that both of you have not consummate at all.
If you're not in a need to use the deed of separation, you can save the money and file for a divorce straightaway 3 yrs after your marriage.
Is it possible to use in laws or blindly siding of in laws and putting me at a disadvantage as a reason for unreasonable behaviour?
Roughly how much does it cost to engage a lawyer to get a divorce?

karoru

triquetra mummy, your suitation is similar to mine...

mag_huiling, i think i will also contact your lawyer.. thanks for sharing the info... these are also the qns that are on my mind... the only obstacle that i face now is my hubby may not agree to the separation... i do consult other lawyers before, too and they said the other party must sign else they cannot proceed with the separation deed....

mag_huiling

triquetra mummy, your suitation is similar to mine...

mag_huiling, i think i will also contact your lawyer.. thanks for sharing the info... these are also the qns that are on my mind... the only obstacle that i face now is my hubby may not agree to the separation... i do consult other lawyers before, too and they said the other party must sign else they cannot proceed with the separation deed....
yes. both parties must sign before the lawyers can proceed.. dont mind me asking, why will u think ur hubby might not sign?

Does that mean if i have been married for 3 yrs i can apply for a divorce straightaway?
Housing issue, can i apply for a flat from HDB when i am undergoing separation with my husband? We are currently staying at my in-laws place but i would really like to move out asap.

Someone pls help. Thanks!

mag_huiling

Does that mean if i have been married for 3 yrs i can apply for a divorce straightaway?
Housing issue, can i apply for a flat from HDB when i am undergoing separation with my husband? We are currently staying at my in-laws place but i would really like to move out asap.

Someone pls help. Thanks!
you can file for divorce straight after 3 yrs, if he dont agree, then u have to wait for one more yr. then he disagree also no choice liao....

Yes. but you must show the Deed of Separation as prove that you really separated and also prove of income.

For rental flats from HDB, income must not be above $1500 per month.

I understand, staying with inlaws very sian and troublesome+problematic right! LOL

rains

Mag_huiling: have not consumate at all.. meaning even less than 3 yrs oso can divorce straight away?

bellerichez

So it's a must to file for separation deed first before i can file for divorce??? I still don't understand leh. Can somebody give further explanation?

Ting

yeah i think u need to file for seperation b4 divorce, unless u hv strong reasons to divorce immediately, ie adultary, or the other party commit serious offence...

mag_huiling

yeah i think you need to file for seperation before divorce, unless you have strong reasons to divorce immediately, ie adultary, or the other party commit serious offence...
Ting, my lawyer told me the law changed already, adultery also must separate leh...

bellerichez

criminal offence, like murder, rape, theft, drugs addict.
you can base on this for divorce too.. thats what i heard.
drug addict can ah? hais. mine's a long story. but if i file for it but he don't agree then i need to wait for another year? or what? sorry to ask so much cos i really need to know.

mag_huiling

drug addict can ? hais. mine's a long story. but if i file for it but he dont't agree then i need to wait for another year? or what? sorry to ask so much cos i really need to know.
if he's a drug addict, u must have solid evidence to prove. or unless he has been going in and out of prison, you can straight file for divorce. he dont agree also must agree..

ryanchew

drug addict can ? hais. mine's a long story. but if i file for it but he dont't agree then i need to wait for another year? or what? sorry to ask so much cos i really need to know.
Bellerichez, it's better to seek advice from a lawyer.

However, my understanding is...

To go into a separation, both parties must agree to it and sign on the separation deed voluntarily. Then after 3 or 4 yrs (depending on whether both parties agree), you can file for a divorce.

If one party disagree to the separation, then you have to file for divorce based on the point that the marriage has broken down irretrievably. And you have to engage a lawyer to fight the case in court.