Severe pain under ribs / chest

corinne22

I am in my 32 weeks now and I begin to experience severe pain under my ribs/chest (just above my baby).

Unlike leg cramp or backache which you can adjust your angle or lay down on bed to rest & relax... This pain under my ribs is like burning, numb, piercing, sore...basically it is excruciating that I can't sleep!! Been 2 days and I am like a panda zombie due to lack of sleep.

It's frustating and I have seen my doctor... She said that it might be due to stretch of rib as baby is growing. No solutions though thus I am living in misery...

Did anyone experience this before? Any advice on how to tackle this problem?

W

wintercherry

Yes Yes ... I'm experiencing severe pain under ribs/chest too ... on the right side only.
It is extremely painful and occurs during night time ... It's sore, tender, bruised kind of feelings ... it can be so painful that i woke up from my sleep :( ... I already have sleepless nights in my third trimester (37th week now) and on top of rib pain ... it's Erh .... can hardly get sleep at nite ...

corinne22

Yes Yes ... I'm experiencing severe pain under ribs/chest too ... on the right side only.
It is extremely painful and occurs during night time ... It's sore, tender, bruised kind of feelings ... it can be so painful that i woke up from my sleep :( ... I already have sleepless nights in my third trimester (37th week now) and on top of rib pain ... it's Erh .... can hardly get sleep at nite ...
Oh gosh, you are exactly like me now. Only difference is that I am 32 weeks. A few of my colleagues told me that when they experience such pain, they were about to deliver. But no way for me! Too early!!

I am still coping with the pain. Nothing can be done but my hubby & I kept talking to baby to be good...

W

wintercherry

Yeh Yeh ... that's exactly what my hubby and I do as well ... talk to our bb girl ... sometimes she doesn't kick me ... but sometimes she's not listening :( Really painful ... it's like my ribs have been punched by someone ... I did nothing to the pain ... just bear with it .... perhaps u can try to ice it ... it may help to some extend :)

keefu

I am in my 32 weeks now and I begin to experience severe pain under my ribs/chest (just above my baby).

Unlike leg cramp or backache which you can adjust your angle or lay down on bed to rest & relax... This pain under my ribs is like burning, numb, piercing, sore...basically it is excruciating that I can't sleep!! Been 2 days and I am like a panda zombie due to lack of sleep.

It's frustating and I have seen my doctor... She said that it might be due to stretch of rib as baby is growing. No solutions though thus I am living in misery...

Did anyone experience this before? Any advice on how to tackle this problem?
I encountered it too during at your stage of pregnancy. That is called heartburn where you feel very painful under your chest due to baby's foot keep pushing upwards, and have difficulties swallowing food, and sleeping properly... Remember when you eat take small little bites and don't take too much food at one go, if not you will feel stuffed as if the food did not go down properly into your digestive system... For sleeping sometimes I will sleep by sitting up instead... If not I will lie on the bed and massage the rib bones to relieve the pain a bit... Can ask your hubby to help to massage too then you can catch up on proper sleep.

My heartburn stopped at aroung 33rd, 34th week as my baby's head started to engaged south, and the discomfort stops...

corinne22

I encountered it too during at your stage of pregnancy. That is called heartburn where you feel very painful under your chest due to baby's foot keep pushing upwards, and have difficulties swallowing food, and sleeping properly... Remember when you eat take small little bites and dont't take too much food at one go, if not you will feel stuffed as if the food did not go down properly into your digestive system... For sleeping sometimes I will sleep by sitting up instead... If not I will lie on the bed and massage the rib bones to relieve the pain a bit... Can ask your hubby to help to massage too then you can catch up on proper sleep.

My heartburn stopped at aroung 33rd, 34th week as my baby's head started to engaged south, and the discomfort stops...
Thanks keefu! Now I am countering backache and rib pain. I am looking forward to 36 weeks onwards because that's when it's time to pop.

I also hope I can cope with the labour pain too! :S

keefu

Thanks keefu! Now I am countering backache and rib pain. I am looking forward to 36 weeks onwards because that's when it's time to pop.

I also hope I can cope with the labour pain too! :S
You are most welcome just sharing my experience... :D

Actually is wait for 37 weeks then consider full term... Rest as much as you can yah... for labour let it go with the flow and don't worry gt epidural haha if really pain. My labour is unbearable to me but everyone's experience and threshold of pain is unique. Enjoy this pregnancy and relax till the big day~

summertime

me now only 28 wk already feel the rib pain.. i already 3 night didnt sleep.. dunno what to do to reduce... I feel so sleepy but cant sleep.... T.T

XenXuan

I have this too in both pregnancies,starting from 28weeks.. My son was kicking on the right side rib bone 2yrs back,this pregnancy my daughter is kicking my left side rib bone.. My right side rib bone's soreness/bruise type of pain can still be felt till now when I feel my rib bone.. Gosh,after this,I'm gonna get sore pain at both side rib bones,hope it will go away soon..

summertime

I have this too in both pregnancies,starting from 28weeks.. My son was kicking on the right side rib bone 2yrs back,this pregnancy my daughter is kicking my left side rib bone.. My right side rib bone's soreness/bruise type of pain can still be felt till now when I feel my rib bone.. Gosh,after this,I'm gonna get sore pain at both side rib bones,hope it will go away soon..
the gyn only said it the baby getting bigger that y pushing the rib bone up... luckily these few days getting better , manage to fall asleep for at least 5 hrs compare to previous onli 2 hrs...

XenXuan

the gyn only said it the baby getting bigger that y pushing the rib bone up... luckily these few days getting better , manage to fall asleep for at least 5 hrs compare to previous onli 2 hrs...
Ya my gynae oso said it's normal.. Lately I will fall asleep slightly earlier 2-3am than in the past 3-5am.. But will still wake up after 1-2hrs n feel totally awake like I've slept enough already.. Only managed to feel tired n get back into sleep after 1-2hrs for another 3-5hrs deep sleep.. still have weird dreams but not much light sleeping anymore..

summertime

Ya my gynae also said it's normal.. Lately I will fall asleep slightly earlier 2-3am than in the past 3-5am.. But will still wake up after 1-2hrs n feel totally awake like I've slept enough already.. Only managed to feel tired n get back into sleep after 1-2hrs for another 3-5hrs deep sleep.. still have weird dreams but not much light sleeping anymore..

me too.. i start dream every night since 1st tri without fail... even now also.. Do u gals also experience the same thing?

furbee

Din know so many mama also have weird dreams, sleep time less than 5hrs, and always wake up at night...... I dont like the feeling of 'enough yet still tired' when awake in the middle of the night. :(

I also experience pain on my ribs, that it turned bruise.. dr says baby kick too hard.
I cant remember my dreams when i wake up, but it feels very real ..

XenXuan

its quite common during pregnancy to have weird dreams n less quality sleep/rest.. been having it since the v start of pregnancy.. no choice but juz try to rest more whenever u can.. as for the rib soreness,nothing can be done too,maybe juz tell ur baby dun kick at rib so often haha..

izanyzam

Hi ladies..Ive been having sharp pains under my ribs too esp on my left ribs..Seems like it hurts more if i lie down on my left side so for the past weeks i have been sleeping mostly on my right side..There's nothing much we can do about it..Maybe it could also be due to our baby's legs pressing up against our ribs..Just bear with it yah..I have been having sleepless nights too due to it esp wen its accompanied my heartburns and breathlessness..!! :err:

pixie

Have this kind of pain since 2nd trimester but it's getting worst now. I can feel the pain anytime of the day and get worst after each meal. My baby girl does not kick hard so there is no bruises as some of you are encountering.

The chest/under ribs pain is more like muscles expansion/pulling which at times I've to stand up and wait for the pain to subside.

I have occasional dreams but this does not disturb my sleep as much as the pain. Getting insufficient sleep and can only play 'catch up' over the weekend where I do not have to work.

BeingSingle

yah..have this feeling and constant aching pain as if her foot is stuck in my ribs..
how i wish i can juz reach inside and adjust her foot a little..it gets so irritating...

XenXuan

Mine is juz getting more frequent n painful lately as I proceed into 32weeks.. At times my baby will juz move or kick into a position n maintain there for 5-15mins which makes me v uncomfortable.. Dun like this feeling,it's juz so uneasy n disturbing tat I can't do anything else..

izanyzam

Hi dearies..I used to have this pain at the front of my tummy..As if someone has taken a knife and is slicing my tummy open with it..Now the pain has moved to the left side,just under my ribs/chest..Asked my gynae about it and he said,its my tummy expanding..And yes it gets worse after every meal no matter how much or little i ate..!! Sometimes,i even try to push down on the pain..It helps a bit but after a few minutes,the pain comes back..!!

Nothing much we can do about it dearies..Perhaps just try to move around till you get a more comfortable position..In the meantime,just hang in there for a while more yah..!! :001_302:

XenXuan

Ya ya at times I will have tat same feeling too.. Sometimes I'm not in so good mood or at mood swing,the pain keep coming like tat,I will hit/smack on my tummy abit n say stop it already.. At times it works.. Recently it's getting so worse,i can't help but worry issit my baby got problems or something haha.. I will juz keep massage on my tummy to make myself feel better..