Shld i buy breast pumps before or after birth?

kams

Depends.

1) If u got money to spend, can buy before delivery. You might or might not need the pump. If dont need, can sell off or give as present hehe!

2) If not, before delivery, survey the stores & enquire from friends first for e best pump to get for your budget & needs. After delivery, when you think you gonna need e pump, then can send hubby out to purchase.

3) Or you can borrow somebody's pump first & put on stand-by, just in case you might need it. After give birth, can use friend's pump & when you feel that you gonna use the pump full-time, can get hubby to buy for you & return friend's pump.

For my case, I bought my Avent manual pump after delivery of my no.1. When he was held back in hospital for 10 days after I was discharged, we stopped by shopping centre right after my discharge from hospital to get the pump, coz i was gonna need it to express & send the milk to hospital everyday. Used the same pump for all 4 babies as all of them were held back in hospital for 8-10 days after delivery!

clearjade

I bought a manual pump before giving birth because I knew how tired I would be while recovering during confinement so prepared as much as I could beforehand.

In the end it came in handy when I needed to stimulate my breasts to encourage milk supply for my hungry baby in the first few days at home. I used the pump in addition to latching baby on frequently.

PTB7476

i bought my pump after birth and knowing that i have enuff supply cos i dun want to waste money getting before knowing how much i can feed

CarolOng

If possible, try to borrow a gd pump from your friends.

If really got milk, then u can proceed to buy a new one. That's wat my friends do. borrow from me, they jus buy the spare parts, then try & see if they hv milk after the bb is born.

If you wait till yr baby is out, u might not hv the time to go & buy liao.

Edwinie

I think i shall buy after the baby is out. im scared i got no milk!
When I have little milk, I used breast pump to stimulate my supply. So if you have no milk and do not have the chance to use the breast pump to help, you will almost definitely not improve your supply.

My mum enthusiastically bought me a breast pump before my baby was out. At first when i used it, i got a few drops of milk only. Then I thought, die, waste so much money and I have no milk. So i force myself to continuously use it to make the money worth and it actually helps me a lot. i used it very often and my milk supply increased. my motivation was the money invested on the breast pump. otherwise, i would have given up breastfeeding. if i were to borrow, i don't think i'll have the same motivation.

So take the risk! if you are risk averse, borrow from people whom you know has one. =)

Mummy to Baby V

I bought an electric pump before delivery.
For first 4-6 weeks, BEST way to stimulate milk supply is to latch baby on day and night. My supply wasn't plentiful, just enough to satisfy baby whenever he suckles. Remember: demand = supply.

In the early days and weeks, I also used pump to further stimulate breasts for 5-10 minutes after baby suckles. Purpose is not to store milk, that can come later.

Also, don't bother about pumping to check how much milk there is at first because it adds to the stress level. More stress = less milk.
Be confident that when baby is latched on correctly, he will drink nutritious colostrum and then milk later on.

Learn as much as possible about breastfeeding before baby arrives. All the best! :)

Humpty

One other consideration that you may have is the length of warranty. If you buy before you deliver, then the warranty period is "shortened" since you won't likely be using it till the baby is born.

Edwinie

If you are a stay at home mum, I believe that you will be latching most of the time and pumping after you are done. Then you just need a single pump. Remember to get breast shells to collect the leaked milk from the other breast as you pump one side.

I feel there is no need to pump out milk if you are latching full time unless you are using it to stimulate your supply. If it's just to stimulate, manual pump will be a cheaper choice.

I bottle feed my son full time and need to pump for at least 30 minutes on both sides to fully clear my breast. So dual pumps suit me better.

Ultimately the choice depends on your lifestyle and your breastfeeding plan.

Tiggee

If you are a stay at home mum, I believe that you will be latching most of the time and pumping after you are done. Then you just need a single pump. Remember to get breast shells to collect the leaked milk from the other breast as you pump one side.

I feel there is no need to pump out milk if you are latching full time unless you are using it to stimulate your supply. If it's just to stimulate, manual pump will be a cheaper choice.

I bottle feed my son full time and need to pump for at least 30 minutes on both sides to fully clear my breast. So dual pumps suit me better.

Ultimately the choice depends on your lifestyle and your breastfeeding plan.
I do hope that latching on doesn't hurt too much. And of cos have milk for my baby.
Is there any particular brand of pump that is better? Or are all pumps the same?

Edwinie

I do hope that latching on doesn't hurt too much. And of cos have milk for my baby.
Is there any particular brand of pump that is better? Or are all pumps the same?
if you don't latch properly, it might cause sore nipples and blisters. i got it during the first few weeks. but the key is to continue latching and tolerate the pain. just remind yourself that you have been through labour, you can tough it out. during first few weeks, i just keep latching. i only start pumping from 3rd week onwards. latching helps a lot. make it the first choice for you rather than pumping. if it hurts to latch, it will hurt to pump also. your pump is just a last resort backup. latching is still the best.

i'm not sure which brands are better. i only tried philips avent and so far, no complains.

Tiggee

if you don't latch properly, it might cause sore nipples and blisters. i got it during the first few weeks. but the key is to continue latching and tolerate the pain. just remind yourself that you have been through labour, you can tough it out. during first few weeks, i just keep latching. i only start pumping from 3rd week onwards. latching helps a lot. make it the first choice for you rather than pumping. if it hurts to latch, it will hurt to pump also. your pump is just a last resort backup. latching is still the best.

i'm not sure which brands are better. i only tried philips avent and so far, no complains.
So after i deliver, there will be a person to teach me how to latch my baby?

Edwinie

ya. i went to tmc.

the nurse taught me how to latch at the ward when she first brought my son over to me from the nursery. when it's time for a feed, a nurse will bring him in and ask whether i need help to latch. so better learn throughout your stay there!

then at ard 4pm they will recommend mums to attend this class that teaches bathing, caring for baby plus breastfeeding. it's a demonstration.

then on the discharge day, the lactation consultant came into my ward to teach breastfeeding, how to massage, how to treat engorgement, how often to latch, etc. it's a 1-to-1 counselling session. so u can bombard her with all the questions u have.

i think this is the standard service tmc provides. not sure about other places

Tiggee

ya. i went to tmc.

the nurse taught me how to latch at the ward when she first brought my son over to me from the nursery. when it's time for a feed, a nurse will bring him in and ask whether i need help to latch. so better learn throughout your stay there!

then at ard 4pm they will recommend mums to attend this class that teaches bathing, caring for baby plus breastfeeding. it's a demonstration.

then on the discharge day, the lactation consultant came into my ward to teach breastfeeding, how to massage, how to treat engorgement, how often to latch, etc. it's a 1-to-1 counselling session. so u can bombard her with all the questions u have.

i think this is the standard service tmc provides. not sure about other places
GOOD! Im going TMC! :)