Shopping list for Baby

Hi mums-to-be,
I reckoned some would have started and others like me can't wait to start your baby stuff shopping. So I thought perhaps we can share some info and exchange ideas on what are some of the must-buy items while planning for the arrival for your precious prince or princess. Some experienced mums have advised that I focus on the more "boring" stuff like breast pump etc as the fun and cute items clothings will usually be received as presents from friends/relatives. So appreciate if everyone can contribute to list below and it can be a good reference for all. :)

1) Bottles (brand: AVENT?)
2) Baby Cot
3) Stroller
4) Diapers, wipes, diaper cream
5) Diaper Bag
6) Car seat
7) Breast Pump
8) Clothes for New born (preferably get some hand-me-downs as they are more comfy for the new born's sensitive skin)
9) Baby pillow and baby wrap

Mum2bee

I am one of the kiasu mum cos is so diff to stop buying haha
these are some of the stuff that I had bought :)

10)milk warmer And steriliser (Avent)
11)nipple cream and nipple shield
12)tons of baby mittens set
13)modern diaper cloth
14)nappy cloth
15)tons of baby hanky
16)disposable and washable breast pads
17)milk bottle( Avent and Dr brown)
18)sophie the giraffe

Last edited:

luvjoanne

Hi lollipop, gd thread to start! I jus came bk from taka baby fair alone as hubb had to wk, iwas totally lost when I was there! There r jus too many stuff to choose n buy (not forgetting the price!) n i didn't know where to start from! Wanted to get sterilizer initially but realised tt itcomes complete w breast pump n milk bottles n creams etc. Wat a headache man haha.
And I couldn't get small items lk clothes for my bb since I duno the gender yet, and the clothes r only in pink, or blue!
Ended up I bought nothing n will return again w hubby to decide later on haha.

Hi Mum2bee,
I am really impressed.. I don't even know what to start on.. haha! Thanks for sharing, I have more items on my shopping list now. By the way, may I ask who is Sophie the giraffe?

Hi luvjoanne,
Thanks for sharing. I am in the same situation as you are.. in my 14 weeks now and cannot tell the gender of baby yet, so everytime I look at baby stuff, they are generally in shades of blue or pinks and I just to control myself to not splurge on both colours. I also agree with you that it's the "hardware" like breast pumps, sterlizer etc that can be a quite a headache when you want to buy coz we have never used before and not even sure what's best suited, whether price is right etc. I supposed we got to do more research and ask around for more advice.

The Taka baby fair is on till Sunday, so may drop by and do some "market research".. :001_302:

babytazz

Hi mums-to-be,
I reckoned some would have started and others like me can't wait to start your baby stuff shopping. So I thought perhaps we can share some info and exchange ideas on what are some of the must-buy items while planning for the arrival for your precious prince or princess. Some experienced mums have advised that I focus on the more "boring" stuff like breast pump etc as the fun and cute items clothings will usually be received as presents from friends/relatives. So appreciate if everyone can contribute to list below and it can be a good reference for all. :)

1) Bottles (brand: AVENT?)
2) Baby Cot
3) Stroller
4) Diapers, wipes, diaper cream
5) Diaper Bag
6) Car seat
7) Breast Pump
8) Clothes for New born (preferably get some hand-me-downs as they are more comfy for the new born's sensitive skin)
9) Baby pillow and baby wrap
13)modern diaper cloth
14)nappy cloth
15)tons of baby hanky
18)sophie the giraffe

Hi,

for the breast pump, you need to consider electric or manual. More will tell you to go for electric pump coz you'll be tired of manual pumping. I didn't get any breast shield and didn't use any. So, I would suggest you to buy when you need..

As for the baby pillow & wrap, it's not necessary.. baby only use pillow when they reach 1 yr old. if you intend to get the pillow with hole, it's not necessary as well. My boy is using nappy cloth folded pillow. He's off the pillow at times and always sleep on side of face. This helps to prevent the back head from getting flat.. As for baby wrap, just learn the cloth swaddling way. It's good and effective. And best of all, saves the money! My boy only wants to be wrapped for about 1 month + a bit, after that he makes a lot of noise when I wrap him.

Clothes to me don't have to be hands-me-down as long as the new clothes have very soft or good material. I find Shears brand (received from gift boxes)'s material a bit hard so try to avoid that. And yes, you will receive a lot of clothes or clothes sets during full mth celebration. Hands down clothes save money though but first time mum usually will like to buy clothes la.. If you are buying, get some front button pieces, it's easier to wear for newborns. Don't try wearing romper (without front snaps) unless you are very confident (coz you may hurt his neck while trying to wear the romper on him). I let mine wear rompers after 1.5 month. Also don't buy too many newborn size clothes coz they outgrow it very fast esp if your baby is very big when he comes out to the world (he might nt be able to wear at all). Good to have 1 or 2 pcs of long sleeve tops & pants in case you to to very cold places.

Baby mittens & botties, get about 5 sets if you are washing every day or every two days. Don't have to get too many. If you intend to let your child go on cloth diapers, then get them. If not, don't buy. I bought but ended up not using... but cloth nappies are a must buy even if your child will be using disposable diapers. I'm using it as pillow, thin blanket, additional layer on the baby cot. For hankies, you can buy them from market. I find those are better than the ones selling in shopping malls. They absorb better and can double up as wash cloth during baths.

Add on to the list:
- changing mats with cushion
- waterproof mats for baby to sleep on if child is sleeping on other areas like your bed
- sleeping bag (if child sleeps in aircon room)
- big and medium ziploc bags (to place dirty clothes and stuff)
- bag organiser (if you intend to switch diaper bags)
- warmer bag to keep water warm for making milk/water inside warm longer)
- thermo flask to keep hot water for use to make milk
- gripe water
- ru yi oil
- head to toe wash (don't need to rinse off type - avent or johnsons & johnsons)
- cotton ball / wool / pad (i'm using cotton balls to clean eyes and wool to clean bottom)
- nail clipper/scissors
- nose cleaner (those extractors)
- baby socks (once your child is out of booties)
- beanie pillow (when baby a bit bigger)
- baby cap/hat
- towel (just get soft and absorb well type that adults use)
- receiving blanket (I bought 1 pc only, doubles up as normal blanket)
- disposable diapers (if you are using this, don't get too many newborn size. Maybe just get 1 first but don't go for Huggies newborn coz the cutting is small (till 4kg only). If baby is big size, then it's a waste. You can however get a bit more S size ones.. but not too many as well. Diaper changing is about once every 4 hours.)
- bedsheets for the babycot
- baby lotion (to apply when skin is dry)
- baby oil (good to use to remove stubborn dirt on baby)
- to help you sit better (if vagina birth), can consider getting a small float to sit on. It's better than cushions. :)
- bottle & teat brush
- detergents & softerners (for clothes)
- bottle cleansing liquid or gel for cleaning bottles
- basin for washing bottles (finds it more cost saving to wash all in a basin)
- pail for washing clothes (some ppl don't like to mix babies clothes with adult clothes)

Remember to get glass bottles from hospital when you discharge. They are good for storing breast milk in fridge!

You may also want to add some books to your shopping list/reading list, so that you can have more ideas on being prepared for baby. Of course take the advise in the books with a pinch of salt if you do not agree with it.

Can either borrow from lib or purchase from bookstores.

I would recommend:-

1. Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins (for breastfeeding information ):The Nursing Mother's Companion

2. Happiest baby on the block - Harvey M Karp

3. What to expect the first year -Heidi Murkoff (reference book for 1st year issues)

4. Gentle Baby Care : No-cry, No-fuss, No-worry--Essential Tips for Raising Your Baby - Elizabeth Pantley

5. No cry sleep solution - Elizabeth Pantley

6.What No One Tells the Mom : Surviving the Early Years of Parenthood With Your Sanity, Your Sex Life and YourSense of Humor Intact - Marg Stark

:)

theSavvyMummy

Lollipop1979, Sophie the Giraffe is a toy for teething baby. In my opinion, it's too early to buy that now!

Here's a shopping list that my good friend passed to me. Hope it's useful to mummies out there!

Diaper changing
Cloth diapers, diaper liners & safety pins OR disposable diapers
Hand sanitiser
Baby wipes
Diaper rash cream
Changing mat
Baby’s clothing
Tops (Short sleeved front button or ties – 10, few long-sleeved)
Long pants (3-4)
Suits
Mittens (10 sets)
Socks/Booties (5 sets)
Cap
All-purpose
Swaddling blanket (2 -3)
Flannel towels (lots)
Cloth nappies (lots)
Bathing
Bathtub
Bath thermometer
Baby shampoo
Baby soap
Flannels
Towel
Sterile cotton balls in cool boiled water (for cleaning eyes)
Alcohol wipes + cotton bud + antiseptic powder (for cleaning cord)
Baby lotion/oil
Baby nail scissors
Feeding
Breast pump
Sterilising equipment
Bottle brush
Bottles (at least 6) + teats + caps
Infant formula
Bibs (later for weaning)
Room
Cot – sheets, mattress, protector
Dustbin
Others
Thermometer
Eucalyptus oil (soothing)
Gripe water
Going out
Diaper bag – thermos flask, changing mat
Baby carrier/pram
Car seat
Back to work
Breast pump
Sterilising equipment
Cooler bag
For Mummy
Stretchmark cream
Nursing tops/gowns (incl for hosp stay)
Nursing bra (6-7)
Breast pads
Nipple cream
Maternity pads (2 packs)
Things to book in advance
Gynae
Confinement nanny
Prenatal classes (latest when 6 months pregnant)
Prenatal massages (before hitting 7 months)
Cordlife banking (when 8 months pregnant)
Postnatal treatments (when 8 months pregnant)

=====================

Visit my blog at Search Digital KDB (Page 1 of 78) for more hot tips and reviews for mummies and mummies to be in Singapore!

abangr

Alpha Male
Dear,

Where can I buy sophie the giraffe?

I am one of the kiasu mum cos is so diff to stop buying haha
these are some of the stuff that I had bought :)

13)modern diaper cloth
14)nappy cloth
15)tons of baby hanky
18)sophie the giraffe

bbshop08

Hi all,

I'm a new mommy to a 7 month old baby and running a small biz on the side during my free time.

I do have Sophie the giraffe (Selling Px: SGD $32.00 ready stock available, free postage, will give discounts if more than 1 unit is purchase. can consolidate purchase with other mommies.)

In addition i have also the following breastfeeding stuffs available:
- Medela Freestyle breastpumps: US set, limited sets available, 30% off retail price, stock arriving soon
- Medela Milkbags (50 pac)
- Medela Milk Transport Bag
- Medela Freestyle sparepart kit
- Medela Tendercare lanoline (2 oz)
- Medela Softfit Breastshield

All my products are coming from US so you guys can save alot more compare to buying from SG. I do have other products available or if you need some other breastfeedings stuffs, i can source for you.

Drop me a message and i'll get back to you soon! :)
Hope to hear from you guys soon..

shandy83

hi mummies to be,

can u all advise is it better to use disposable diapers or cloth diapers??

thinking of getting the sgbum cloth diapers, but it seems a lot of work on the washing...

junotosan

Alpha Male
buy sophie online, on amazon. Bundle it with a baby monitor to make the vpost more worth it. BT Baby monitor one of the best (better than the avent), and not pricey like the avent digital ones in singapore.

Even if it breaks down, buy another one, still won't even be close to the top of the line avent baby monitor (300 plus)

Esp now vpost has a promotion for certain credit cards $20 off.

evie

I bought Sophie the giraffe teether and the cuddly soft toy at Mothers work at Great World city...:Dancing_wub:

ginko

You can buy a baby rocking chair as well. My 2 kids used them from day 1 til they were about 2 years old.

As for the diaper cream, you may not need to buy immediately as the maternity usually provides one. Check with them. But they usually give the commercial one. So if you want a natural diaper cream, then you may need to buy and bring it with you to the maternity.

Last edited: