Should I bring my 18mth old boy to Taiwan?

pinkDior

Hi all

Hubby and I have bought our air tickets to taiwan and we are going end of this month. I am thinking of bringing my 18mth old boy along but I have many concerns.

1) my boy is super active and cranky. I am worried that he will run about, scream, put passengers' hair, throw tantrum, make all sorts of noise on the plane which is 5-6 hrs flight
2) many things to bring eg. stroller, carrier, liquid detergent, bath gel, winter clothes (weather is about 17 degree celcius with strong wind), thermal flask, milk bottles, diapers, milk powder, bottled food, bla bla bla... So many things to bring for him!!
3) worried that he will get sick due to weather
4) planned to go clubbing with hubby but if bring child along, definitely have to drop this idea
5) cannot go hot spring (wen quan) as toddler not suitable as well
6) difficult to shop and dine as my boy cannot sit quietly by himself (he either needs to be carried or will run around and touch everywhere)
7) worried he is not used to slp at the hotel there
8) heard that the boiled tap water at kaohsiung is unsafe for drinking. also heard that bottled mineral water is not good to make milk for toddler due to mineral level. How to make milk for my boy like that???

On the other hand, if i dun bring him along, I dun think I will enjoy much as well as i will be missing him so much (going for 11 days).

If you were me, what would you do? Bring him to taiwan or not to bring???

Thank you.

carolinaw

It's a complicated issue. If you wanna have a nice holiday with hubby, you'd better leacve him at home, or you have to quit some activities you planned. If I were you, I would take him with me coz I didn't wanna him at home when parents went out for holiday. I would like plan a family trip with baby.

ling.er

​​​Hi there, i have the same thinking last year... Was planning to go taiwan on End of APRIL 2012 Or either MAY 2012 !! Till now i haven purchase tickets.. If u bring along sure cannot enjoy much.. If ur mother in law or mother is looking after him then im sure u no need to worry wan...

ME : I drop the travel trip.... Cos he still too young... plus nt cheap for the ticket too many thing have to bring along..

Pram / diaper / his pillows / milk powder / Pacifer / water bottle / medicians / etc etc

Hi all

Hubby and I have bought our air tickets to taiwan and we are going end of this month. I am thinking of bringing my 18mth old boy along but I have many concerns.

1) my boy is super active and cranky. I am worried that he will run about, scream, put passengers' hair, throw tantrum, make all sorts of noise on the plane which is 5-6 hrs flight
2) many things to bring eg. stroller, carrier, liquid detergent, bath gel, winter clothes (weather is about 17 degree celcius with strong wind), thermal flask, milk bottles, diapers, milk powder, bottled food, bla bla bla... So many things to bring for him!!
3) worried that he will get sick due to weather
4) planned to go clubbing with hubby but if bring child along, definitely have to drop this idea
5) cannot go hot spring (wen quan) as toddler not suitable as well
6) difficult to shop and dine as my boy cannot sit quietly by himself (he either needs to be carried or will run around and touch everywhere)
7) worried he is not used to slp at the hotel there
8) heard that the boiled tap water at kaohsiung is unsafe for drinking. also heard that bottled mineral water is not good to make milk for toddler due to mineral level. How to make milk for my boy like that???

On the other hand, if i dun bring him along, I dun think I will enjoy much as well as i will be missing him so much (going for 11 days).

If you were me, what would you do? Bring him to taiwan or not to bring???

Thank you.

ilovelebins

i brought my 7 mth old son to Tw (tpe and taichung) for 7 days early last month. though there was really a lot to bring it was worth it and fun. weather was even colder then but as we were well prepared, he was ok.

ling.er

U bring him able to enjoy ?? COs i also same like pinkdoir mummy.. Worry alot so inend nv plan already..

Ticket also nt cheap dor ?

i brought my 7 mth old son to Tw (tpe and taichung) for 7 days early last month. though there was really a lot to bring it was worth it and fun. weather was even colder then but as we were well prepared, he was ok.

ilovelebins

you bring him able to enjoy ?? COs i also same like pinkdoir mummy.. Worry alot so inend never plan already..

Ticket also not cheap dor ?

i think as long as u r well prepared u will be able to enjoy urself.. we went by SQ and there was a promo so for adults it was $580 each and $200+ for baby.

in fact im planning to bring him on another holiday this year!

before we booked tixs i was worried too.. from weather to food to everything! but i decided to just book and then think abt it later :)

ling.er

I also wish to go hoilday with my son ^^ Maybe to hongkong ( AGAIN ) or taiwan lo.. Planning this year APril - May like wan!!
Worry Many !! In law nag nag say too young la this n tat wan ><" !!

Pinkdior mummy what your plan??

i think as long as u r well prepared u will be able to enjoy urself.. we went by SQ and there was a promo so for adults it was $580 each and $200+ for baby.

in fact im planning to bring him on another holiday this year!

before we booked tixs i was worried too.. from weather to food to everything! but i decided to just book and then think abt it later :)

pinkDior

I also wish to go hoilday with my son ^^ Maybe to hongkong ( AGAIN ) or taiwan .. Planning this year APril - May like want!!
Worry Many !! In law nag nag say too young this n that want ><" !!

Pinkdior mummy what your plan??
Ling.er

I decided to bring my boy there and i just bought air tix for him 2 days ago. Parents in law nagged but i dun care. I didn't want to detach from him for so long. It will most probably be a tiring and onerous trip but i think with my son by my side, i think it's all worth it. Hopefully, he will enjoy too.

Right now left about a week's time till our flight departure but i have not't buy my boy's winter wear and other miscellenous items yet!

Mummies, any advice on where to buy affordable winter wear for toddlers?

ilovelebins

Ling.er

I decided to bring my boy there and i just bought air tix for him 2 days ago. Parents in law nagged but i dont care. I didn't want to detach from him for so long. It will most probably be a tiring and onerous trip but i think with my son by my side, i think it's all worth it. Hopefully, he will enjoy too.

Right now left about a week's time till our flight departure but i have not't buy my boy's winter wear and other miscellenous items yet!

Mummies, any advice on where to buy affordable winter wear for toddlers?
can try Fox or Mothercare.. they are having sale on their winter wear.

Jazzynicole

Dear Mummies,

My friends and I are sharing views about bringing kiddos below 2 years old or even a few months for travelling. Some of my friends feel that it is a total waste of money as the kids are too young to remember anything about the trip. However, I beg to differ as I believe young as they may, their small brains are developing fast at this stage and the sights, smells and touch of a totally new environment will stimulate their brains. However, I am unable to find online scientific studies on this area to prove to my friends.

What are your take and views on this?

Last edited:

ling.er

Now i also doing research for package to taiwan in MAY 2012 which my son tat time 23Month big.. It may be tired but ok la.
If is me my in law know we bring himmover sure Black face & talk behind my back wan!! Sure say he is young la Say later dun use to it Will cry or wat la..
*Check from zuji 7 days package( ticket & 4*hotel ) around $1900 ( inclu tax & fees ) = Cheap ?

Remember gt once i bring him to chalet then kana mosquio bite & then back to home already they say me , he still young dun bring go those chalet or BBq etc ~~~~~~~~ Now already 2012 lo.. feel like telling them this..

ilovelebins

if it is just air tic n hotel i think it is quite expensive. i always book ala carte when i go tw. u can check out east dragon hotel or TS hotel, both hotels are located in Ximending and are clean.

Dioscuri

has he travelled/ been on a plane before? If not, I would suggest you leave him home for now as there are too many uncertainties and you may end up not enjoying the trip.

For my girl, we started with nearby KL when she was a year old to 'test water' first. See how she fares in the plane, and sleeping in a foreign environment. And we made sure the trip is a short and leisurely one so that we can still make it back to hotel for her naps if she happens to get cranky outside. It's also to test water for us to see if we can cope with handling a toddler, bags, diapers, strollers etc on trips and still manage to stay sane.

She did very well on the first trip, so the next year onwards we started going to slightly further places like HK, Indonesia and Taiwan.

Dioscuri

Dear Mummies,

My friends and I are sharing views about bringing kiddos below 2 years old or even a few months for travelling. Some of my friends feel that it is a total waste of money as the kids are too young to remember anything about the trip. However, I beg to differ as I believe young as they may, their small brains are developing fast at this stage and the sights, smells and touch of a totally new environment will stimulate their brains. However, I am unable to find online scientific studies on this area to prove to my friends.

What are your take and views on this?
I kinda agree with your friends. I personally like to travel, but I think it's a waste of money if I go to far and expensive places (like Australia, Europe, US, Japan, Korea etc) with my girl coz she won't remember the experience. So for now we will go to nearby places, so she can still experience travel without burning a hole in my pocket.

I say that they won't remember, coz my parents have brought me travelling since young, but I only really remember about the trips starting from when I was in primary school. All the trips taken when I was a toddler, I can only remember certain flashbacks. I don't even remember being on the plane although I sorta remember the airport. Even looking at photos can't really jog my memory of what I did in that country.

ling.er

Hmmm for me i bring my son to pula ubin before.. he enjoy while we cycle.. he seen ok to me if im around him..
** was thinking either taiwan or cruise .. early bird booking cheap ^^

Dioscuri

Hmmm for me i bring my son to pula ubin before.. he enjoy while we cycle.. he seen ok to me if im around him..
** was thinking either taiwan or cruise .. early bird booking cheap ^^

Erm... Ubin is day trip? Day trip or 1 night trip very different from long holidays. At least he can go back to his familiar surroundings at night.

If I were you, I'd opt for the cruise first. It's more relaxing in the sense that you don't have to rush around sightseeing/ shopping. Imagine if you go taiwan, you'll want to go out the whole day but if your kids starts getting cranky in the afternoon coz he's tired, or wants something, or wants to be carried, you'll be stressed out deciding on whether to go on sightseeing with a cranky crying kid or rush back to hotel to let him rest, which will sort of defeat the purpose of a holiday.

ling.er

^^ We went there 2D1N for ubin.. He was ok tat time.. Only back to SG then sudden cranky.. Looking for cruise nw lo.. Since natas fair is ahead.. Looking for MAY cruise. Tat time he was 23month already.. I think shall be ok..
When i gt my flat then mayb go taiwan lo. ^^

Cruise @ least have Childcare can place him 1 hour then i can go massage or something..

Erm... Ubin is day trip? Day trip or 1 night trip very different from long holidays. At least he can go back to his familiar surroundings at night.

If I were you, I'd opt for the cruise first. It's more relaxing in the sense that you don't have to rush around sightseeing/ shopping. Imagine if you go taiwan, you'll want to go out the whole day but if your kids starts getting cranky in the afternoon coz he's tired, or wants something, or wants to be carried, you'll be stressed out deciding on whether to go on sightseeing with a cranky crying kid or rush back to hotel to let him rest, which will sort of defeat the purpose of a holiday.

lyra

I'm bringing my baby to US end of this year as my hubby has business trip there and we plan to go for a short holiday. I can't imagine leaving my boy here. Even if parents or parents in law complain, I'll bring him along. By that time he'll be one year plus so it should be fine. Agree with jazzynicole that kids are learning many things even before they can remember holiday trips. You can show them the photos later and they'll look back and enjoy. Some significant events can still be remembered even though they are less then 6 years old. For me, I remember painful events like falling down a cradle. I had nightmares about it as a kid and a teen. I also remember my pre school teacher scolding me. And vague memories of grandma taking care of me. If the memories are significant enough, they will be remembered. But actually I bring my baby along because I just can't stand going anywhere without him! If you mummies have any advices and tips on taking babies on long journeys, do let me know :)