Should I go for epidural?

Carisella

Still contemplating if I should go for epidural.. comments please..
Epidural is up to your personal pain threshold.. if you think u can endure the pain, don't take the epidural.. if you think u can't handle the pain, then take the epidural.. no one for sure can tell you yes or no to it.. It's still mainly up to you to decide if you want it or not

My birth was induced. Since beginning of pregnancy, i made up my mind not to have epidural. After three hours of labour pain and at least another eight more to go, I finally relented.

I will try harder to endure the pain fory next pregnancy

Edwinie

My birth was induced. Since beginning of pregnancy, i made up my mind not to have epidural. After three hours of labour pain and at least another eight more to go, I finally relented.

I will try harder to endure the pain fory next pregnancy
induction is more painful than a natural labor.
i was induced too. the pain was bearable until i was induced... i'm not going to get induced next time! didn't want an epidural again.

the downside of epidural on your child is that the child will be sleepy.. my son was sleepy for the first few days! =(

Mummy to Baby V

In natural delivery without induction, contractions are built up gradually. Mummy has the chance to bear with it as it builds.
Induction makes the more painful contractions come suddenly. Mummy suddenly feels great pain, so usually needs epidural.

So, I prefer to avoid induced labour.

In first delivery, my dilations took very long.
Deep breathing exercise (learnt from prenatal class) is enough to overcome the pain, but missed sleep for 1 day & 1 night.
After 20+ hours, took epidural to sleep for few hours.
Baby delivered after another 10 hours.
But, I had side effect of vomiting.

A friend has side effect of serious shivering.

For next baby, delivery should be faster. I'd still try to overcome the pain without epidural.

All the best! :)

induction is more painful than a natural labor.
i was induced too. the pain was bearable until i was induced... i'm not going to get induced next time! didn't want an epidural again.

the downside of epidural on your child is that the child will be sleepy.. my son was sleepy for the first few days! =(
I do not know if induced is more painful than natural. All I know is that by third hour, it felt someone stabbing every three minutes and that was not even the climax.

Geez, I didnt know that epidural makes extra sleepy. I thought all newborns are sleepy because they are asleep most of the time.

After I had epidural, I slept. I slept so much that I could not sleep at night. I did suffer from the side effects of epidural - the shivers that lasted 5h. After the effects wore off, I was immediately on my feet walking around.

I had the nausea for a while after the delivery, but it was not as bad the ones I had during my first trimester. The nausea went away very quickly after I put food out of my sight

Last edited:
Still contemplating if I should go for epidural.. comments please..
If you are undecided, opt for no epidural. If you find the contractions unbearable and you are still less than 5cm dilated, you can then opt for epidural. This way, you still can experience the infamous contractions. If you are lucky and are already more than 5cm dilated by the time you get to the hospital, you have no choice but to grit your teeth and bear with the pain.

paull

If you are undecided, opt for no epidural. If you find the contractions unbearable and you are still less than 5cm dilated, you can then opt for epidural. This way, you still can experience the infamous contractions. If you are lucky and are already more than 5cm dilated by the time you get to the hospital, you have no choice but to grit your teeth and bear with the pain.
agree!

when i was pregnant with my first, i was saying to my hubby "so many women in the world can make it w/o epi, why cant i? shld save the 600 bucks to buy things for bb instead =)"

but when in the delivery suite, the contractions was so painful that i get my husband to tell the nurse to give me epi right away with tears flowing down my cheeks..hehe..

really difficult to decide now as u wun noe how the pain was and whether u can endure it..for my current pregnancy i hope i can tahan the pain and go w/o epi as ppl says 2nd bb would come out faster..

Mummy to Baby V

I preferred no epidural. But still booked a good anaesthetist in advance to make sure he'd be around just in case I changed my mind.
After 20+ hours, finally decided on epidural. Fortunately I booked him. He arrived fast and did a good job.
Caution: not every anesthetist has the same standard in giving an epidural. Find out who's good in advance.

eowyn

Initially, i wanted to just go for normal delivery, but after 18 hrs of contraction pains, i was ready for any kind of pain relief even if it is someone knocking me out with a heavy club! Anyway, u don't have to decide now. Your gynea will ask u again before delivery when u are in the hospital.

lyra

My MIL said her relative's DIL went for epidural and in the end, has regular excruciating pain on the lower back few years down the road. No cure for this too. So she advised me against gng for epidural.

My MIL said her relative's DIL went for epidural and in the end, has regular excruciating pain on the lower back few years down the road. No cure for this too. So she advised me against gng for epidural.
Well, I guess everyone reacts differently to epidural. My sister in law had it ten years ago and she is fine today.

shiyi

at first i told myself not to take..but the pain is really encruciating. waited for 3hrs only dilated 3cm.. so gave in to epi and soon givin birth is a breeze

pipilili

Yeah I am PRO EPI too...

Why suffer and go thru the pain....

But for mothers who are not going for EPI, I sincerely salute you from the bottom of my heart cos I think that's a v brave thing to do.