should I just pump??

Shirix

My baby is 1week plus.. She was introduced to bottle on the 1st day as my milk has not come.. Now she cannot suck well or rather she will fall asleep if I breastfeed her.. Now I will breastfeed her and if she fall asleep in 15 mins which means that she does not drink enough milk, I will let her drink ebm of 50ml. If I didn't breastfeed her, she can drink 70ml to 80ml..

Should I continue to breastfeed her and pump? Or I should just pump and let her drink ebm? If not every feed I will spend like 30 on breastfeeding and 20 mins on pumping.. I had enough milk for her by pumping so I don't need her to help me establish my flow.

diza

She's only 1 wk plus right? Don worry.. Babies at her age usually feed ard 15 min if u latch directly and if she falls asleep, tickle her chin. She might wake up and cont to suckle. My boy was also bottle feed when he was admitted for
Jaundice but he didn't have nipple confusion when I let him latch. Just cont to latch coz this will increase ur supply. Babies are smart. If they are full, they will stop suckling.. So don't worry. As long as ur baby is gaining weight and she wet and soil her diapers, she's getting enough milk.

is really individual preference then. if only 1 week plus, she's still learning to latch. give her some time to master the skill.

but if you are really very tired, why not do alternate? as in one feed ebm, one feed latch. exclusive pumping is good as you can monitor her milk intake and you can be very mobile as in no need you to feed her. but then the washing can really kill. i did exclusive pumping for my first child as my supply was very very low. I pumped 8-9 times a day and the washing and sterilising is so tiring. somemore, i find it silly that when he wanted to drink, i had to pump and feed rather than just feed direct. thatis why i m trying to do direct latching for second child and pump when going back to work.

i think you can still hang on to latching. 15 min on the breast is quite normal if you have ample milk. she din fuss or cry for more milk and just zzz rt? means she has enough. so actually, you need not worry about her not getting enough milk. my gal fed only 10 min on my breast and she's satisfied cos i have too much milk. so i think you try latching first and see if you enjoy latching before deciding to pump exclusively