Sick cannot give breastmilk to baby?

-jOanna

I'm down with flu and fever.. My aunt and grandmother said sick cannot give Breastmilk to baby.. But From what I've read is if I take medication that is unsuitable then cannot give milk to baby.. I'm so sad now.. I'm currently not taking any medication, only took a few sip of D.O.M last night, hoping I can be better..

diymummy

Hi Joanna,

Hope you get well soon. Yes you're right. You can still give breastmilk to your baby as long as you're not taking any medication that makes your milk unsafe.

I also fell ill once and I still breastfeed my baby. I will "mask" myself feed to prevent from spreading germs to him.

Last edited:
when i sick i still give breastmilk to the baby but if on medication then cannot give pump and throw away.. they say when u sick the milk can have antibodies for the baby..

-jOanna

Now they dun believe me.. I'm going for my gynae 2nd week checkup for my stitches.. now I pump 1st and ask gynae if I could give.. then tell them if not they dun believe.. They want to hear wad doctor says..

apollo

go ahead and give ur baby ur precious bm! i also gave ds bm when i was ill but i took those medi which ia suitable for bf-ing. only once i didnt give ds bm cos the medi i took was not suitable for bf-ing.. my parents and aunts all said me too but i just hack care them... told them gynae and pd say can...

snowbear

Now they dont believe me.. I'm going for my gynae 2nd week checkup for my stitches.. now I pump 1st and ask gynae if I could give.. then tell them if not they dont believe.. They want to hear what doctor says..
Old people are like that... i've been bfding for 15mths already and whenever i fall ill my family will still say cannot feed bb otherwise bb fall sick. :nah:

I read before that when we are sick, we should givw our babies breast milk. That is if you are not taking any medication that harms baby.

Reason being, b4 we are acually down with the flu, we already have the virus and baby if exposed to it already. When the flu is here, our body produce antibodies. So the more we should let our babies drink breast milk so that antibodies are passed to them to fight the flu. The only thing you wanna note is when you breast feed, you might wanna wear a mask in case you sneeze.

HTHs.

Lynnie

Yes, you CAN still breastfeed when you are sick (with the exception of HIV and those transmittable diseases), provided you are not taking any medications unsafe for breastfeeding. Like Pinkpluspinky says, you'll actually pass the antibodies to your baby, so they'll be stronger.

-jOanna

I didnt see GP to take medication yet.. they keep telling me cannot give my breastmilk to baby.. -.- but I told them my gynae said can.. I just stored 200ml in the fridge in the morning b4 I went for my checkup..

apollo

I didnt see GP to take medication yet.. they keep telling me cannot give my breastmilk to baby.. -.- but I told them my gynae said can.. I just stored 200ml in the fridge in the morning before I went for my checkup..
dont care abt them. ur baby belongs to u. somemore u're NOT harming ur baby by giving her bm when u're sick, u're helping her and giving her the best milk!

btw Joanna, since u're ill, pls see a doc, ask the doc to prescirbe u medi which is safe for bf-ing. cos if u dont get urself treated, u might pass the virus to ur baby and ur family will start saying it's ur bm (which is NOT) that pass the germ and virus to her...

Sure you can continue to feed your baby breastmilk and even latch on. The immunity is there already so no prob. It's fine even if you are on certain medication, like panadol. My GP was so cautious he prescribed panadol but told me to pump and throw - which I did and then realised later that that was totally unnecessary! Cos I was on panadol and some other medication after I was discharged from the hospital after birth - which is quite routine - and the gynae had no issues with me breastfeeding. Sigh. So much milk was wasted...

But drink lots of water and get plenty of rest!

-jOanna

huh.. then which doctor should I see.. I duno which GP better, cuz juz now my aunt's daughter-in-law said he go see doctor, doctor say fever cannot give breastmilk.. -.- Maybe tomorrow then i go see my family doctor at clementi..

diymummy

Hi Joanna, yes seeing a GP is good enough unless your cough/flu persists for more than 2 weeks after seeking the GP. You should be feeling better after a lot of rest and water and healthy meals and eating prescribed medication from the GP.

When I was ill that time I had 4 days MC in all from work and after my flu I got a bad cough which the GP said is the after effect of the flu. I only recovered 100% after 2 weeks without any antibiotics. Throughout that 2 weeks I was breastfeeding and tried my best not to breathe into my baby's face. My baby was fine. He didn't fall ill.

I agree with regina that you should go see a doc asap and get healed if not your mum and mum-in-law will think that the virus spread from your milk which is not but rather from the air-borne viruses.

apollo

huh.. then which doctor should I see.. I dont know which GP better, cuz just now my aunt's daughter-in-law said he go see doctor, doctor say fever cannot give breastmilk.. -.- Maybe tomorrow then i go see my family doctor at clementi..
any GP will do as long as the GP has some simple bf-ing knowledge unlike the GP ur aunt's dil see.. =)

snowbear

huh.. then which doctor should I see.. I dont know which GP better, cuz just now my aunt's daughter-in-law said he go see doctor, doctor say fever cannot give breastmilk.. -.- Maybe tomorrow then i go see my family doctor at clementi..
Any GP is ok but it seems that the GP that your aunt's dil saw is not kept up-to-date with the advantages of bfding. I also stopped seeing a GP after he almost scolded me for bfding while I was sick! :eek:

The other GPs I've seen after that are bfding-friendly so they just gave bfding-safe medication to make sure that I can continue to bf. Anyway, just make sure that when you're sick and taking care of bb or bfding, wear a mask and wash your hands thoroughly before you handle bb.

apollo

Any GP is ok but it seems that the GP that your aunt's daughter in law saw is not kept up-to-date with the advantages of bfding. I also stopped seeing a GP after he almost scolded me for bfding while I was sick! :eek:

The other GPs I've seen after that are bfding-friendly so they just gave bfding-safe medication to make sure that I can continue to bf. Anyway, just make sure that when you're sick and taking care of baby or bfding, wear a mask and wash your hands thoroughly before you handle baby.
that GP is crazy!!!

joanne, or u can go to polyclinic? that time i went to polyclinic and the GP there is v encouraging towards bf-ing. i'm sure GP from polyclinic shd be v bf-ing friendly.. in case the outside GP u go to is not v encouraging? and most elderly thinks that polyclinic GP very li hai cos they are 'government doctors' so mayb by going there, ask the GP regarding the bf-ing issue and go bk tell ur family?

serenelm

yah, sick confirm can continue to bf de, if u're taking bf-safe medication... i confirmed it wif my pediatrician previously... she said no prob, can bf even if take the small yellow color flu tablet/panadol (the normal type) etc... juz remember to tell ur GP tat u're bf, so tat he'll prescribe bf-friendly med for u :)

hi Joaana,

Don't be sad you will be fit, just drink lots of water a very big help for you...so that you can still continue your bf.
hope it will be okay... take care!!