Sick during first trimester

julesy

Hi,
I just found out few days ago that im pregnant. At the same time, i've been feeling feverish (but measured temp is normal), and having cold symptoms and now it's turned into a hacking cough. when i try to sleep,my throat gets so itchy when i lie down.. im a lil worried that coughing so hard might affect the development or the sac attaching properly.
And i dont dare to eat any meds like Zyrtec which wd usually help with my cold.
Has any of you had experienced falling sick in early pregnancy?

julesy

Temp has been 37.6 degrees for the entire day, is this average temp for preggy mums or is it considered fever?

apollo

Hi,
I just found out few days ago that im pregnant. At the same time, i've been feeling feverish (but measured temp is normal), and having cold symptoms and now it's turned into a hacking cough. when i try to sleep,my throat gets so itchy when i lie down.. im a lil worried that coughing so hard might affect the development or the sac attaching properly.
And i dont dare to eat any meds like Zyrtec which wd usually help with my cold.
Has any of you had experienced falling sick in early pregnancy?
i fell ill almost thru out my pregnancy. if u're unwell, see a doctor and rmb to tell the doc that u're pregnant so he will prescribe u medi that are safe for pregnancy. In the meantime, DO NOT self medicate cos not all medi are safe for pregnancy.

as for fever, normal panadol is safe for preg. but NOT panadol extra & panadol flu.

apollo

thks.. qte worried if baby will be affected when im sick or lead to m/c....!
as long as u see a doc, get those medi which are safe for preg, take ur medi regularly until u fully recovers, everything will be fine =)

suett

Don't worry. I was sick during my first trimester too. Even before I knew I was pregnant, I had a fever and had a hacking cough. But didn't know why I was feeling hungry all the time even though I was feeling so sick. So I took a pregnancy test and found out I was pregnant.

You have low grade fever. It is okay (that's what the doctor told me) but you must take medicine to ensure your fever does not get high. That is very important. See a doctor and let them know you are pregnant. They will carefully weigh the pros and cons of taking medication when pregnant. I know we don't want to load our body with medicine when pregnant but sometimes, it is better to get well faster than be sick when pregnant.

I was presribed Piriton and also took Zyrtec (all cleared by my GP and Gynae....though Piriton is actually milder but it made me sleepy). I took a lot of medication during my pregnant. I kept fallng sick....very weak. While it feels that coughing will affect your baby, dont' worry. It won't. If anything happens, it won't be due to your coughing.

I even took a flu jab when pregnant (doc said it was safe) as I kept falling sick.

Good luck. I know it is worrying but all will turn out well. My son is now 9 months old, born full term.

julesy

Thanks suet n Apollo, feel somehwhat more assured! Can't wait to reach 2nd trimester when evrytgs more stabilized!

ooisy

Hi,

after reading this thread, it kind of ease my mind a liitle, jus a little.

cause my gynae prescribe me antibiotic during my 1st trimester, as i have been sick for more than 2 weeks. though no fever.

as i knew it was during this stage that the organs and etc that start to develop, hence it kind of keep disturbing me for the fact that i was on medication during this period.

suett

don't worry. I took anti biotics too. If Gynae/Doc says it is okay, it is okay. Since from your gynae, then should be super safe. my baby is now 13 months old and healthy. Just concentrate on getting well soon.

lyra

Hi! I'm about 4 weeks preg and I was sick ever since I got preg. Flu and cough lasted for several weeks. My MIL even told me that having sudden flu is a symptom of pregnancy. Turns out that she's right that I'm preg though I'm not sure whether its a symptom. As I was trying to conceived since 2 months ago, I was taking all the safe med. Told my doctor I was TTC and he prescribed all the safe med. Dun ever take cough med with codeine. It was upsetting bcoz I got better on codeine immediately but I had to take the milder med and suffer longer period of cough. Nvm, for my baby's health, any sacrifice is ok!

rysse

I fall sick quite often and it is like almost every 2 weeks there will be fever... not sure if this is ok but anyone of you actually experience this situation before? Ive tried not to take any medication except for the panadol prescribed by my doc.. and i think my boss already start looking at me one kind cuase i keep on mc... sigh.

ooisy

Hi suett,

You said u haveing falling sick , was it throughout ur pregnancy? Did you try anything that can help boost your immunity, i meant something non-medicated?

I have been attack by cold almost every 2-3 weeks... always feeling feverish?

Don't worry. I was sick during my first trimester too. Even before I knew I was pregnant, I had a fever and had a hacking cough. But didn't know why I was feeling hungry all the time even though I was feeling so sick. So I took a pregnancy test and found out I was pregnant.

You have low grade fever. It is okay (that's what the doctor told me) but you must take medicine to ensure your fever does not get high. That is very important. See a doctor and let them know you are pregnant. They will carefully weigh the pros and cons of taking medication when pregnant. I know we don't want to load our body with medicine when pregnant but sometimes, it is better to get well faster than be sick when pregnant.

I was presribed Piriton and also took Zyrtec (all cleared by my GP and Gynae....though Piriton is actually milder but it made me sleepy). I took a lot of medication during my pregnant. I kept fallng sick....very weak. While it feels that coughing will affect your baby, dont' worry. It won't. If anything happens, it won't be due to your coughing.

I even took a flu jab when pregnant (doc said it was safe) as I kept falling sick.

Good luck. I know it is worrying but all will turn out well. My son is now 9 months old, born full term.

lyra

My gynae asked me to drink a kind of milk powder that helps build immunity, I stopped that for few days coz the strong milk smell makes me want to puke. Now I regretted. Kenna some gastric or indigestion problem. Not even sure whether its a virus or MS, so called gynae's clinic. Nurse asked me to see GP. Coz I got sharp pain in upper abdomen and felt nauseous more frequent then usual MS. Feeling feverish as usual. :eek:

coffee

Booo!!! I was having fever for 2 weeks before finding out I was 4 weeks pregnant and to stop the fever, I have to be on anti-biotics for 10days. Fever which was due to sinus infection finally stopped. Thinking of stopping my antibiotics but scare wait infection comes back.

Anyone took antibiotics so early in the pregnancy and baby comes out alright? I am sooo worried.

ihmdweh

i'm terribly sick now.. fever, running nose, sore throat, tummy bloatedness.... the works :(

Guess what i took Panadol Flu as well as Panadol Extra cos i read that panadol is safe for preggies... only now after reading this forum i read otherwise. Can somebody please advise.. cos i'm overseas now and thats my only source of medicatino for now??

hotmilktea

according to doc, panadol is safe. but for your baby, i think u sld stick to the normal panadol and not the extra.
go and see ur gynae or ur gp and say u are preg, they will prescribe medicine suitable for u.

i'm terribly sick now.. fever, running nose, sore throat, tummy bloatedness.... the works :(

Guess what i took Panadol Flu as well as Panadol Extra cos i read that panadol is safe for preggies... only now after reading this forum i read otherwise. Can somebody please advise.. cos i'm overseas now and thats my only source of medicatino for now??

Ginn

I just realised my pregnancy.. now having giddy spins all the time.. hacking cough and bad flu. I even have running nose in super warm weather. But I refused to take any medicines as i feel better not to.

ihmdweh

I just realised my pregnancy.. now having giddy spins all the time.. hacking cough and bad flu. I even have running nose in super warm weather. But I refused to take any medicines as i feel better not to.
My gynae says can take more vit c to build immunity. Recovered my running nose from that :)